IGNORED

Barnsley player fails drugs test!

Tipps69

Clearly didn't help his playing performance much. 

No sympathy though. There's a long trail of misery and destruction of lives that brought the drug into his hands.

I'd like to see him in prison for 5 years if guilty. But he'll not even get a slap. 

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Livermore has mitigating circumstances in that instance

Yeah I know about the circumstances and they really are tragic and I think not banning him was the right decision. I personally think that if you get caught taking recreational drugs that banning people doesn't really help, education is probably a better idea. If you then get caught again then that's when someone should get banned.

21 minutes ago, Packman said:

Yeah I know about the circumstances and they really are tragic and I think not banning him was the right decision. I personally think that if you get caught taking recreational drugs that banning people doesn't really help, education is probably a better idea. If you then get caught again then that's when someone should get banned.

Until we remove the demand we'll never even get close to solving the problem. 

That includes education and strict punishments for buying. 

I liken it to stolen goods. The drug dealer in this comparison is sourcing goods illegally. The man on the street is knowingly buying them and can be harshly prosecuted for handling stolen goods.

When it comes to drugs there is no punishment for the latter. Bonkers. 

Even in the Cotswolds kids are perfectly happy to buy drugs and care not one jot for the misery they have created along the way - the violence, prostitution, trafficking etc that it finances. They don't appear to see the link. 

24 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Ah yeah that classic where someone forces cocaine up your nose.....

You effectively accusing him of ignorance is ironic. 

I don't condone drug use, however if I had gone through what he did, I'd have gone off the rails in some way too, I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, Packman said:

If it's Cocaine surely he shouldn't have a suspension, Jake Livermore tested positive but wasn't suspended.

Livermore had personal circumstances that were held for his reasoning, notably the death of his young child!

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

No sympathy though. There's a long trail of misery and destruction of lives that brought the drug into his hands.

I'd like to see him in prison for 5 years if guilty. But he'll not even get a slap. 

He wasn’t selected against us because of the results so his performance against us is non starter.

And without knowing all the details, it’s hard to make a reasoned decision on what should happen, it doesn’t say what drug he has been tested positive of taking so could it of been for an ongoing medical condition that has a trace of a banned substance in it? Or could a further question be asked as to if he has been found guilty of drug misuse, could he of been breaking the law further by driving while under the influence etc?

It’s clearly too early to go sentencing him on public forums without all the details.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe read up on what he was going through at the time 

I sort of knew the story. Apologise if it’s insensitive but i have been through alot but never felt the need to snort drugs. I get everyone reacts differently when put in situations just find it difficult to understand the logic that led him to it. Again apologies for being insensitive.

50 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Until we remove the demand we'll never even get close to solving the problem. 

That includes education and strict punishments for buying. 

I liken it to stolen goods. The drug dealer in this comparison is sourcing goods illegally. The man on the street is knowingly buying them and can be harshly prosecuted for handling stolen goods.

When it comes to drugs there is no punishment for the latter. Bonkers. 

Even in the Cotswolds kids are perfectly happy to buy drugs and care not one jot for the misery they have created along the way - the violence, prostitution, trafficking etc that it finances. They don't appear to see the link. 

:clap:

I have said many times that the ‘ pleasure ‘ that drug takers have is on the backs of the misery of others .

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

You do realise you can fail drugs test for using fat burners,

Also you would have a person sent to jail for 5 years for failing a drug test? Can only hope your not a judge??

1 minute ago, GTFABM said:

I sort of knew the story. Apologise if it’s insensitive but i have been through alot but never felt the need to snort drugs. I get everyone reacts differently when put in situations just find it difficult to understand the logic that led him to it. Again apologies for being insensitive.

I don't think you need to apologise IMO for saying that the death of a child doesn't give you permanent immunity to personal responsibility.

17 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

No need to apologise, it is a difficult dilemma. I suppose we never know how we'd react until something awful like that happens.

I don't imagine that would be my response either, but until you're in that situation it's impossible to know.

Terrible thing for Livermore to experience so hopefully his head is in a better place now. 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Look it up Highguy if it is confusing you .

I hope your poster name is ironic but if you do drugs I am afraid you have blood on your hands. 

I dont think your going have a centre back in championship injecting crack or heroin thats the main drugs that causes the problems your on about

He could of failed the drugs test for fat burners a commom thing for sports people

I smoke cannabis and me smoking it doesnt do anyone else any harm even the dr gives me some 

6 minutes ago, Highguy said:

I dont think your going have a centre back in championship injecting crack or heroin thats the main drugs that causes the problems your on about

He could of failed the drugs test for fat burners a commom thing for sports people

I smoke cannabis and me smoking it doesnt do anyone else any harm even the dr gives me some 

I wouldn’t say you smoking weed doesn’t do anyone any harm, do you drive? Have you driven even a number hours after having a spliff?

That action could quite easily cause a road traffic accident & have a bearing on an individual or family, being behind the wheel is illegal, the same as being under the influence of alcohol behind the wheel & this action has caused plenty of distress to many individuals & families.

Different people deal with different things in different ways & those little starters can lead to people becoming more reliant on those substances that help them deal with things to start with. In Livermore’s case I guess he was using it to numb the emotional pain he was going through & no one knows if Diaby is going through anything similar or if it’s just a social reason that he has been caught with a banned substance in his system?

Everyone is different & everyone has different things going on in their lives, people shouldn’t be judged or tarred with the same brush because they have done something on a one off to deal with something that they are struggling to deal with in their life but there are differences.

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No need to apologise, it is a difficult dilemma. I suppose we never know how we'd react until something awful like that happens.

I don't imagine that would be my response either, but until you're in that situation it's impossible to know.

Terrible thing for Livermore to experience so hopefully his head is in a better place now. 

None of us will know what we would do unless we are really in the same circumstances, but.... who would suddenly turn to cocaine if they have never done it or any hard drugs before? I get they may go out and get smashed on alcohol and try and forget what has happened etc, but to just suddenly think "I know I have never done drugs in my life but I am going to go and get some cocaine"?? I just find it a bit unbelievable myself, I may well be wrong and Jake had done it for the first ever time, but we will never know I guess.

1 minute ago, wood_red said:

None of us will know what we would do unless we are really in the same circumstances, but.... who would suddenly turn to cocaine if they have never done it or any hard drugs before? I get they may go out and get smashed on alcohol and try and forget what has happened etc, but to just suddenly think "I know I have never done drugs in my life but I am going to go and get some cocaine"?? I just find it a bit unbelievable myself, I may well be wrong and Jake had done it for the first ever time, but we will never know I guess.

I think because none of us know it's better to give him the benefit of the doubt in this instance. Impossible to know how anyone would react.

Seeing as he didn't get banned because of these mitigating circumstances, it indicates perhaps there is more we don't know about that helped the panel reach their decision.

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

He will find the supply inside even easier. Btw... Did anyone see the statistics on cocaine use in Bristol? Astounding to know that it has the highest, per head, use in Western Europe. Sorry, make that Europe.

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

He will find the supply inside even easier. Btw... Did anyone see the statistics on cocaine use in Bristol? Astounding to know that it has the highest, per head, use in Western Europe. Sorry, make that Europe.

It is blatantly used nowadays and has just been normalised - 2 blokes go into a toilet cubicle and couldn't care less who sees them go in there or walk out after sniffing it. Football is the same, Horse Racing is the same as well. The really strange thing I have seen in the last few years is the amount of 50+ year olds using it and many of them never used to do drugs at all - luckily I just got no interest in it whatsoever.

39 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I wouldn’t say you smoking weed doesn’t do anyone any harm, do you drive? Have you driven even a number hours after having a spliff?

That action could quite easily cause a road traffic accident & have a bearing on an individual or family, being behind the wheel is illegal, the same as being under the influence of alcohol behind the wheel & this action has caused plenty of distress to many individuals & families.

Different people deal with different things in different ways & those little starters can lead to people becoming more reliant on those substances that help them deal with things to start with. In Livermore’s case I guess he was using it to numb the emotional pain he was going through & no one knows if Diaby is going through anything similar or if it’s just a social reason that he has been caught with a banned substance in his system?

Everyone is different & everyone has different things going on in their lives, people shouldn’t be judged or tarred with the same brush because they have done something on a one off to deal with something that they are struggling to deal with in their life but there are differences.

I would hazard a guess that far more people get behind a wheel over the limit than after taking drugs. From your question I presume you don’t drink?

Punishing people for taking recreational drugs is not the future. Decriminalisation and toughing down on dealers is. 

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

I would hazard a guess that far more people get behind a wheel over the limit than after taking drugs. From your question I presume you don’t drink?

Punishing people for taking recreational drugs is not the future. Decriminalisation and toughing down on dealers is. 

Exactly. Take the money out of the hands of criminals, and remove the stigma so proper education and addiction treatment can be utilised. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Look it up Highguy if it is confusing you .

I hope your poster name is ironic but if you do drugs I am afraid you have blood on your hands. 

But arguably that is because the trade is illegal, so in the hands of ruthless criminals. Legal drugs - eg alcohol and tobacco - cause harm mainly to users, not people in the legal supply chain. Gangsters importing cocaine would be ruthless whatever they were trading in - as Al Capone showed during Prohibition.

Ergo you could argue that criminalisation of some drugs in an attempt to curb their effects is in fact worsening them.

1 hour ago, Highguy said:

I am afraid it does , it’s illegal isn’t it ? 

You are putting money into the coffers of criminals who run prostitution, protection and other rackets . 

The only hope we have is that one day the Government make Cannabis legal and then you and others who enjoy it don’t support organised crime gangs.

In the meantime every joint you roll is funding terrorism and violence, that’s a big price to pay for , a relatively harmless , pleasure. 

I appreciate the moves to integrate cannabis sativa into the medical arena where it is controlled and useful for sufferers of certain maladies like Parkinson for example. It is a great shame that the law is preventing this comfort for so many people.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

I drink rarely, on nights out but having suffered massively with depression over the last 5 years, because of my own personal issues, I made a concerted effort to stay away from drugs & alcohol but that is also down to previous occupations that I’ve had, I’ve run pubs & been a taxi driver over the years, I have seen the mess people get in through both alcohol & drugs & it has certainly had an affect on the way I see that side of things.

It isn’t something that just affects teenagers who hang out on street corners, it affects the wealthy & the poor, young & old but the affects of drink & drugs are the same, they ruin lives when people think it is alright to carry on getting behind the wheel of a vehicle that can kill in the wrong hands!

I’m not sure where I’ve said about punishing people for recreational drug use? But people have to be held accountable for their actions rather than using drink & drugs as an excuse for their actions, drink, take drugs but don’t then take control of something that can injure or kill people.

I’m no prude by any means but the thought that drinking / drug driving is acceptable in moderation is wrong in my opinion, a lot of people take driving a car for granted & don’t realise the damage that can be done & just how many lives can be destroyed from one moment of selfishness.

Archived