IGNORED

Barnsley player fails drugs test!

Tipps69

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

I would hazard a guess that far more people get behind a wheel over the limit than after taking drugs. From your question I presume you don’t drink?

Punishing people for taking recreational drugs is not the future. Decriminalisation and toughing down on dealers is. 

Don’t stop at decriminalisation imo. That doesn’t alleviate the black market, legalise the drugs and regulate them. Alcohol and cigarettes are legal, why not other stuff. 

Cannabis will be soon, party drugs like MDMA and hallucinogenics like LSD or mushrooms should be too.  

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

I drink rarely, on nights out but having suffered massively with depression over the last 5 years, because of my own personal issues, I made a concerted effort to stay away from drugs & alcohol but that is also down to previous occupations that I’ve had, I’ve run pubs & been a taxi driver over the years, I have seen the mess people get in through both alcohol & drugs & it has certainly had an affect on the way I see that side of things.

It isn’t something that just affects teenagers who hang out on street corners, it affects the wealthy & the poor, young & old but the affects of drink & drugs are the same, they ruin lives when people think it is alright to carry on getting behind the wheel of a vehicle that can kill in the wrong hands!

I’m not sure where I’ve said about punishing people for recreational drug use? But people have to be held accountable for their actions rather than using drink & drugs as an excuse for their actions, drink, take drugs but don’t then take control of something that can injure or kill people.

I’m no prude by any means but the thought that drinking / drug driving is acceptable in moderation is wrong in my opinion, a lot of people take driving a car for granted & don’t realise the damage that can be done & just how many lives can be destroyed from one moment of selfishness.

Apologies, I was focusing on the first part of your post rather than the message as a whole and misinterpreted.

100% people should be held accountable and the punishments for drink driving and drug driving should be equally and extremely severe.

I do find it extremely ignorant the posters on here exclaiming how awful drugs are and how immoral people such as @Highguy are for doing it, yet will likely smash down copious amounts of booze every weekend like it is any different. More harmful than most drugs if anything but apparently thats fine just because it is legal.  

Taking drugs does not make anyone more likely to jump being the wheel of a car or commit any crime for that matter. I would argue it would make them far less likely to do something like that.

Any responsibility is down to the government, who could quite easily follow suit in looking how other countries have addressed these issues, but thus far they have chosen not to.

@Shtanley is 100% correct in what he says. I am sure if they were to become legal the use of cocaine would die down too, which is probably the one drug that really causes ethical issues due to its fabrication. 

I’m not on a morality crusade or against Highguy but just trying to make people aware that ‘ recreational ‘ drugs are not neutral and cause lots of harm to innocent people who get involved, often with no choice , with the criminals who deal in them. 

The main difference, as has been pointed out , is that tobacco and alcohol are legal.

Driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal and worse than that if you kill someone you have that on your conscience for the rest of your life .

I have a friend who did just that and her life has a big black stain on it that, even after twenty years , she can’t shift .

She is a respectable,  generous , intelligent woman who just took the wheel after an evening meal with friends where she drunk a few glasses of wine .

As a teenager I smoked pot everyday and even got my mum to sew 'legalise weed' onto my one of my No Fear t-shirts, and used to regularly espouse the fact that drug takers are the smart ones, and those who denounced drug taking and vilified those who participated in it as brainwashed morons. 

Now I'm older I've realised there is a lot more nuance to that view. I am still firmly a believer in the legalization of drugs, albeit in a heavily regulated environment (with strict legal punishment on those that do not adhere to the rigorous testing and legislature that could make drugs significantly more safe for consumption that they are today). 

Yet, gone are the days when I naively thought of them as harmless, fun and starry eyed consumables that just led to peace and love. Whether it's a joint, a can of beer, back of gear, or potent psychedelic, it can cause severe harm, distress and societal harm - and they should all be treated with the respect and sometime trepidation that they deserve. We need to begin opening the narrative on drug taking, and stop shying away from difficult discussions on it - I'm amazed at the amount of people who say things like 'I've had problems but never had to do x'. I can almost guarantee that said person will have someone close to them, who they respect, who have had their alcohol or drug demons, that is just how prevalent it is. 

Furthermore, as we lurch into the 2nd decade of the 2000s we seemingly are falling from one societal addiction to another; whether its chronic drinking, spice smoking, habitual cocaine sniffing, or completely unhinged sports gambling, addiction is a problem that needs to be tackled in a far more serious way than we currently do. For centuries, we've gone for the approach of pushing addicts to the fringes of society, through incarceration or withdrawal of state support, and it just isn't working. Banning anything and everything we can get addicted to one of the most tragically shortsighted universal policy decisions countries over the world have made. Treating addiction as a medical issue is the way forward, and we're kidding ourselves if we don't think that a colossal increase in public investment into the problem isn't the answer.

6 hours ago, Packman said:

If it's Cocaine surely he shouldn't have a suspension, Jake Livermore tested positive but wasn't suspended.

6 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Clearly didn't help his playing performance much. 

No sympathy though. There's a long trail of misery and destruction of lives that brought the drug into his hands.

I'd like to see him in prison for 5 years if guilty. But he'll not even get a slap. 

Where does it say it was cocaine, or what drug to that matter?

4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Livermore had personal circumstances that were held for his reasoning, notably the death of his young child!

He wasn’t selected against us because of the results so his performance against us is non starter.

And without knowing all the details, it’s hard to make a reasoned decision on what should happen, it doesn’t say what drug he has been tested positive of taking so could it of been for an ongoing medical condition that has a trace of a banned substance in it? Or could a further question be asked as to if he has been found guilty of drug misuse, could he of been breaking the law further by driving while under the influence etc?

It’s clearly too early to go sentencing him on public forums without all the details.

It says they lost the game that he was tested after

4 hours ago, Highguy said:

You do realise you can fail drugs test for using fat burners,

Also you would have a person sent to jail for 5 years for failing a drug test? Can only hope your not a judge??

And “fat burners” are a banned substance in most sports (or usually contain a banned substance) because they are a stimulant and often contain derivatives of amphetamines

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I am afraid it does , it’s illegal isn’t it ? 

You are putting money into the coffers of criminals who run prostitution, protection and other rackets . 

The only hope we have is that one day the Government make Cannabis legal and then you and others who enjoy it don’t support organised crime gangs.

In the meantime every joint you roll is funding terrorism and violence, that’s a big price to pay for , a relatively harmless , pleasure. 

I appreciate the moves to integrate cannabis sativa into the medical arena where it is controlled and useful for sufferers of certain maladies like Parkinson for example. It is a great shame that the law is preventing this comfort for so many people.

I dont smoke the weed that come from albania or from the other cities in the uk, i do get what your saying tho but a lot of that is from class a drugs such as crack and heroin,

The government wont legalize it like the dutch have because of the driving side of the drug but it does have positives effects for some people which is why some use the drug like it has for myself i dont drink ive not drank in 7 years but cannabis is whats helps me everyone different tho and will have different views on it 

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Don’t stop at decriminalisation imo. That doesn’t alleviate the black market, legalise the drugs and regulate them. Alcohol and cigarettes are legal, why not other stuff. 

Cannabis will be soon, party drugs like MDMA and hallucinogenics like LSD or mushrooms should be too.  

Legalising it opens the market to even more people taking them though. It “normalises” it’s use, just like drinking is seen as a very normal thing to do despite the severe damage it can cause if misused.

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

And “fat burners” are a banned substance in most sports (or usually contain a banned substance) because they are a stimulant and often contain derivatives of amphetamines

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/23/liverpool-defender-mamadou-sakho-fails-drugs-test/amp/ 

Also some medication used for things like asthma or ashdis are forms of amphetamines and shows in drug tests but doesnt meam you cant play professional football 

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Legalising it opens the market to even more people taking them though. It “normalises” it’s use, just like drinking is seen as a very normal thing to do despite the severe damage it can cause if misused.

It should be seen as normal, a health issue rather than a criminal issue. People should be allowed to do what they want with their bodies. 

I see it a bit differently myself.

Drugs that affect a person's sense of reality should not be legalised, and I have taken every one of the ones you refer to above.

Cocaine and Amphetamines make you sharper, often more sociable, and far less vulnerable but again shouldn't be legalised because some people either cannot cope with them, or use the taking of them to "act up" like they would whilst drinking.

We have enough problems with alcohol in this country. Lots of people know who deals, so the police should also, and crack down on them,working their way up the chain.

18 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Drugs that affect a person's sense of reality should not be legalised, and I have taken every one of the ones you refer to above.

Cocaine and Amphetamines make you sharper, often more sociable, and far less vulnerable but again shouldn't be legalised because some people either cannot cope with them, or use the taking of them to "act up" like they would whilst drinking.

We have enough problems with alcohol in this country. Lots of people know who deals, so the police should also, and crack down on them,working their way up the chain.

I hear ya, I enjoy a bit of escapism from time to time... 

I know people that can’t have alcohol or it’ll trigger some really worrying mental behaviours. I wouldn’t want it made illegal though. People should be allowed to make their own decisions, but the stuff they’re doing needs to be regulated. That’s why people die/**** it up *normally* because they have no idea what they’re taking. 

30 minutes ago, Highguy said:

I dont smoke the weed that come from albania or from the other cities in the uk, i do get what your saying tho but a lot of that is from class a drugs such as crack and heroin,

The government wont legalize it like the dutch have because of the driving side of the drug but it does have positives effects for some people which is why some use the drug like it has for myself i dont drink ive not drank in 7 years but cannabis is whats helps me everyone different tho and will have different views on it 

The risk element and therefore the price of class A drugs is higher but cannabis is also not ‘ clean ‘ regardless where it comes from , unless you grow it yourself !

I do however view cannabis as a more ‘ user friendly ‘ drug than most others which are highly destructive.

24 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

It’s the end users who are the problem because without them there is no market. 
They are mostly blind or voluntarily ignorant of how their fix arrives .

Do they even care ? 

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Yeah, then the Barnsley squad will be off their bonces!

I hear ya, I enjoy a bit of escapism from time to time... 

I know people that can’t have alcohol or it’ll trigger some really worrying mental behaviours. I wouldn’t want it made illegal though. People should be allowed to make their own decisions, but the stuff they’re doing needs to be regulated. That’s why people die/**** it up *normally* because they have no idea what they’re taking. 

I keep recalling Leah Betts all those years ago in Basildon with super strong Es so get the argument to regulate . Not sure how it could be regulated though because some people would just take 2 or 3 tabs. As for mushrooms they aren't from a lab so nobody knows what will happen! 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s the end users who are the problem because without them there is no market. 
They are mostly blind or voluntarily ignorant of how their fix arrives .

Do they even care ? 

No they don't care. At end user level of Recreational drugs violence is rare unless you don't pay up or Rob someone which isn't unheard of. 

Nobody regards the odd weekend toot as a fix.Thats more for the crack and spice users who are the real problem because they have a habit to fund and are incapable of doing that legally. 

Archived