Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
JonDolman

'Marlon Pack is terrible'

https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212348&sid=5d0a70b8571e173815f3b6b88676ae68

Interesting many Cardiff fans don't seem to rate Pack very highly anymore.

I also often see negative comments about him on twitter from their fans.

I thought he would succeed there with their direct approach, but doesn't seem to be a fans favourite.

I think 17/18 was Peak-Pack.  Last season overall I thought he’d plateaued.  This after fantastic progression year on year.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Cardiff fans not liking you is practically a compliment! 

Edited by CyderInACan
  • Like 3

Majority don't rate him but accept the set up and players he plays alongside prevents him playing his best. I think we saw the best out of him and Flint and got good money for both when we did. 

• Like 9

The midfield was a problem when he was here and it still is now he's gone.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think 17/18 was Peak-Pack.  Last season overall I thought he’d plateaued.  This after fantastic progression year on year.

19 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Read the thread posters say week in week out he is the best passer in the team!!

18 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

I’d have him back 

10 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

He give the centre backs something to pass to .

One significant reason his form suffered is that his was the first name on the team sheet week after week for a very long period. He, as has been the case with Brownhill recently, was flogged to the point of exhaustion and, on top of that, expected to shoulder the responsibilities of captaincy. At his best, he was among the most highly respected midfielders in the Championship and quite a few clubs would have taken him without hesitation, given the chance. I see no reason why, in principle, he could not achieve similar performance levels again, under the right manager and with decent players around him. 

There have been plenty of times just lately, when I’ve watched the ball being launched by our CBs over the heads of our midfield, that I wished he was still here and LJ, having let him go (whether willingly or reluctantly, I don’t know) has since complained of our lack of height and physicality in that area. It was reported at the time that Pack himself was not keen to go. If he was ushered out against his will, I would have a lot of sympathy for him, because he made a very important contribution while he was here and in doing so improved himself hugely as a player.

So, yes, I’d have him back, too, and yes, it would mean we had somebody who would both drop deep to receive the ball from defenders and provide a physical presence. I may be in a small minority, but I think that it was a mistake to sell him and that we have missed him. I take the Cardiff fans’ comments with a large pinch of salt.

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Majority don't rate him but accept the set up and players he plays alongside prevents him playing his best. I think we saw the best out of him and Flint and got good money for both when we did. 

I would have thought Bacuna would be perfect for him. I find it interesting that they were raving about him in the first few games but now many don't rate him.

They mainly also really don't rate Flint. We've really done amazing business selling those 2 for the money we did - obviously in Flint's case to Boro.

21 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

One significant reason his form suffered is that his was the first name on the team sheet week after week for a very long period. He, as has been the case with Brownhill recently, was flogged to the point of exhaustion and, on top of that, expected to shoulder the responsibilities of captaincy. At his best, he was among the most highly respected midfielders in the Championship and quite a few clubs would have taken him without hesitation, given the chance. I see no reason why, in principle, he could not achieve similar performance levels again, under the right manager and with decent players around him. 

There have been plenty of times just lately, when I’ve watched the ball being launched by our CBs over the heads of our midfield, that I wished he was still here and LJ, having let him go (whether willingly or reluctantly, I don’t know) has since complained of our lack of height and physicality in that area. It was reported at the time that Pack himself was not keen to go. If he was ushered out against his will, I would have a lot of sympathy for him, because he made a very important contribution while he was here and in doing so improved himself hugely as a player.

So, yes, I’d have him back, too, and yes, it would mean we had somebody who would both drop deep to receive the ball from defenders and provide a physical presence. I may be in a small minority, but I think that it was a mistake to sell him and that we have missed him. I take the Cardiff fans’ comments with a large pinch of salt.

It would be a massive backward step if we were ever to take him back, far too slow, now if Tomlin became available that would be a different matter 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

It would be a massive backward step if we were ever to take him back, far too slow, now if Tomlin became available that would be a different matter 

Just so Palmer wasn't at the bottom of the queue to start....

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Sounds to me that some feel that the Pack we sacked wasn't given a fair crack and they would probably want the peak Pack back

Now it seems some Cardiff fans think he's no longer the peak Pack but the Pack that's lacking. Would we want the lacking Pack back, in the hope that he again became the peak Pack, or would our judgement then be slack and open to attack if, thinking we were getting back the peak Pack we instead only got the Pack that's lacking and we again sent the lacking Pack packing?

Then again, they do say never go back, and this must especially apply if your going back to Pack i.e. a backPack.

I don't believe he is any worse now than he was in 17/18 as far as what he can do on the ball, off the ball etc. I don't see a change in his attributes as a player from what I have seen of him for Cardiff. His performances were poor after xmas that 17/18 season, like most of our players.

I think his improved performances before Christmas that year were down to him being in a very good team, where everything around him suited him perfectly. To me the compact system and pressing and movement around him meant he was not exposed. Korey was absolutely key.

I thought he played well the end of the 15/16 season too. But I could not believe we managed to get 4 million for him in the summer. Was delighted with that business to be honest.

I feel now Nagy is far better technically. Both footed, sharper, quicker physically and mentally. Can receive the ball in tight spaces better. But he really needs to find some consistency.

I still think we have to improve in that area. But bringing Pack back would be a bad move imo.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I feel now Nagy is far better technically. Both footed, sharper, quicker physically and mentally. Can receive the ball in tight spaces better. But he really needs to find some consistency.

I agree with you. Nagy is all the things you say he is, but he isn't six feet tall, strong in the air, biting in the tackle, physically imposing, possessed of obvious leadership qualities or experienced and proven in this league. He may become some of those things (though certainly not all of them), but he doesn't offer any of them right now. Which I think is the point several of us are making about certain attributes that Pack had that we are currently conspicuously missing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Cardiff fans not liking you is practically a compliment! 

He wasn't exactly popular here, like Skuse before him.

And Nagy will undoubtedly get the same nonsense too.

Pack was brilliant for us, so was Cole. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I agree with you. Nagy is all the things you say he is, but he isn't six feet tall, strong in the air, biting in the tackle, physically imposing, possessed of obvious leadership qualities or experienced and proven in this league. He may become some of those things (though certainly not all of them), but he doesn't offer any of them right now. Which I think is the point several of us are making about certain attributes that Pack had that we are currently conspicuously missing. 

Imo Pack, for someone who is 6 foot 2, we didn't see him really use that physique like we did a Marvin Elliot or CIise.

He did not really have ball winning skills on the ground because he was so slow. Only really in the air on long balls, and I can't really see that as being as important as some people say.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212348&sid=5d0a70b8571e173815f3b6b88676ae68

I also often see negative comments about him on twitter from their fans.

I thought he would succeed there with their direct approach, but doesn't seem to be a fans favourite.

Think now weve pulled their pants down again.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Sounds to me that some feel that the Pack we sacked wasn't given a fair crack and they would probably want the peak Pack back

Now it seems some Cardiff fans think he's no longer the peak Pack but the Pack that's lacking. Would we want the lacking Pack back, in the hope that he again became the peak Pack, or would our judgement then be slack and open to attack if, thinking we were getting back the peak Pack we instead only got the Pack that's lacking and we again sent the lacking Pack packing?

Then again, they do say never go back, and this must especially apply if your going back to Pack i.e. a backPack.

Bravo Sir, nice ditty! 

Made I chuckle. 👍

Pack is the sort of player fans dont like but managers and team mates love

very much like Henderson Milner Barry etc 

Fans wouldnt pay a penny to watch these sort of players but are happy

to see one bit of magic very 15-20 games from players like JET

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Which normally went over the head of our wide man

I just could not get my head around how many bad passes Pack made, yet people said how amazing a passer of the ball he was.

On 22/01/2020 at 14:52, Davefevs said:

Peak, Pack, Plateaued, Progression .... a veritable summary!

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Peak, Pack, Plateaued, Progression .... a veritable summary!

I’m past pontificating 

I think he’s just been a bit inconsistent this season, maybe just taking time to adjust from Warnock ball to Harris ball.

needs Ralls, who likes to play and get stuck in and Tomlin to play well, then we see the best of Pack.  Ralls has been injured most of this season so our midfield is struggling, which is great when we have the wiz of flint to clear up any issues......😂😂

• Like 1

On 22/01/2020 at 15:01, Kodjias Wrist said:

There's a few more you can add to the 'good money' sales 😏

Kodjia probs tops it!

On 22/01/2020 at 16:13, downendcity said:

Complete cack

On 22/01/2020 at 14:52, Davefevs said:

Think it was partly Peak-Pack, possibly as well with the shape we played especially when we had all the injuries that helped us see him at another level- and that opportunity was negated a bit by some other setups last season.

In 4-1-4-1 he did a job for us and helped to protect the defence well, good technicallyt etc but a different DM- say a parallell universe where Hegeler fit could've been interesting. Smith was injured so much as well but anyway...one of Morell/Walsh- Walsh would have needed to have been a bit hugher for that IMO.

Imagine:

Maenpaa

Hunt Kalas Webster DaSilva

Morrell/Hegeler

O'Dowda Pack Brownhill Paterson

Weimann

You get the 3 then, yet Pack able to be creative with a bit of a cushion behind, you get Brownhill able to attack knowing he has a double pivot behind and you get in other phases the Morrell/Hegeler with Pack and Brownhill dropping back in to form a 4-3-3 without the ball...technique and security!

We'll never know I guess but I wonder if that might have helped once the 4-1-4-1 as was ran its course...of course you can put Diedhiou in for say Paterson drop Weimann and O'Dowda wide again and play Diedhiou as the lone striker for some tough, more physical away games- where his battling qualities can buy time. Pack may have recaptured a bit of 2017/18 form then and we would've had a lovely balance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think it was partly Peak-Pack, possibly as well with the shape we played especially when we had all the injuries that helped us see him at another level- and that opportunity was negated a bit by some other setups last season.

In 4-1-4-1 he did a job for us and helped to protect the defence well, good technicallyt etc but a different DM- say a parallell universe where Hegeler fit could've been interesting. Smith was injured so much as well but anyway...one of Morell/Walsh- Walsh would have needed to have been a bit hugher for that IMO.

Imagine:

Maenpaa

Hunt Kalas Webster DaSilva

Morrell/Hegeler

O'Dowda Pack Brownhill Paterson

Weimann

You get the 3 then, yet Pack able to be creative with a bit of a cushion behind, you get Brownhill able to attack knowing he has a double pivot behind and you get in other phases the Morrell/Hegeler with Pack and Brownhill dropping back in to form a 4-3-3 without the ball...technique and security!

We'll never know I guess but I wonder if that might have helped once the 4-1-4-1 as was ran its course...of course you can put Diedhiou in for say Paterson drop Weimann and O'Dowda wide again and play Diedhiou as the lone striker for some tough, more physical away games- where his battling qualities can buy time. Pack may have recaptured a bit of 2017/18 form then and we would've had a lovely balance.

I always wanted to see Pack more advanced.  His ‘no look’ passes in the final third, his ability to strike a ball.  We saw that rarely, but it was in his locker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSkin said:

Complete cack

Pack cack - I'm taken aback? :)