IGNORED

Holloway "We need each other"

Swede

I know there's another thread on this but reading tripe like this makes me wonder what goes through skeletor's head.

"I hope we get there before they do"

"We need each other"

Actually we don't need you at all. Take a look around and see the progress we're making.

If anything it just proves that the bloke is a complete and utterly deluded old sag.

57 minutes ago, Swede said:

I know there's another thread on this but reading tripe like this makes me wonder what goes through skeletor's head.

"We need each other"

Actually we don't need you at all. Take a look around and see the progress we're making.

If anything it just proves that the bloke is a complete and utterly deluded old sag.

I don't know the full context of those quotes but if he's referring to Bristolian football then I actually think he's right.

I don't know about anyone else, but Bristol derbies are my favourite games to watch. Cardiff doesn't quite do it in the same way, especially because many of their fans see Swansea as bigger rivals as we do Rovers. 

It's great we're leaving Rovers behind in all areas, but part of me would quite like us to play them twice a season. Something to look forward to on the fixture list. 

Don't need them, don't want them, hate playing them, they only hold us back. Ask yourself how much success we've had with them as our neighbours/rivals. When we do play them, the expectations are that we should beat them, from every corner. So, we're on a hiding to nothing when we do play them.

How do they hold us back you say?

Sponsorship from within Bristol. In the past, firms have been quoted as saying they can't sponsor one team without the other, so they sponsor nobody. This was the case with one of the wealthiest group ever in this City. W.D and H.O. Wills. Whose last family member sponsored Swindon. There is also a reluctance from the LA to get involved for fear of upsetting the other party.

Split support. Compared to other comparable cities, we are relatively well off, with a larger middle class population. That produces less people that might be inclined to attend matches and maybe lacking some who would be more fervent supporters, as appears the case in more working class areas. Although we do attract relatively large numbers between the two clubs for the dross that is served up.

The list of one team towns/cities that have been more successful than us is considerable.

In the past, they have done all they could to stop us as a club progressing. They were the "only" large professional sporting body to not support "Bristol's" world cup bid, even to the detriment of their own club benefitting through the spin offs. Behind the scenes they contrived to find and pass on information to stop/delay our new stadium. Openly, their supporters also did their utmost to stir the shyte when it came to petitions and opposition to the new developments planned by our club.

No we don't need them.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Don't need them, don't want them, hate playing them, they only hold us back. Ask yourself how much success we've had with them as our neighbours/rivals. When we do play them, the expectations are that we should beat them, from every corner. So, we're on a hiding to nothing when we do play them.

How do they hold us back you say?

Sponsorship from within Bristol. In the past, firms have been quoted as saying they can't sponsor one team without the other, so they sponsor nobody. This was the case with one of the wealthiest group ever in this City. W.D and H.O. Wills. Whose last family member sponsored Swindon. There is also a reluctance from the LA to get involved for fear of upsetting the other party.

Split support. Compared to other comparable cities, we are relatively well off, with a larger middle class population. That produces less people that might be inclined to attend matches and maybe lacking some who would be more fervent supporters, as appears the case in more working class areas. Although we do attract relatively large numbers between the two clubs for the dross that is served up.

The list of one team towns/cities that have been more successful than us is considerable.

In the past, they have done all they could to stop us as a club progressing. They were the "only" large professional sporting body to not support "Bristol's" world cup bid, even to the detriment of their own club benefitting through the spin offs. Behind the scenes they contrived to find and pass on information to stop/delay our new stadium. Openly, their supporters also did their utmost to stir the shyte when it came to petitions and opposition to the new developments planned by our club.

No we don't need them.

Sponsorship in bristol is peanuts compared to the international sponsorship we now get, so they don't hold us back there,

Split support, you could argue that but when one club gets 6k and the other 22k a week, I'd argue that the split isn't really there,

Here a list of two club citys more successful then us

London about 20 times

Manchester

birmingham

Stoke

do i need to go on?

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Sponsorship in bristol is peanuts compared to the international sponsorship we now get, so they don't hold us back there,

Split support, you could argue that but when one club gets 6k and the other 22k a week, I'd argue that the split isn't really there,

Here a list of two club citys more successful then us

London about 20 times

Manchester

birmingham

Stoke

do i need to go on?

Yes please. You could add in Liverpool.

Imperial used to sponsor Tennis and powerboat racing to enormous amounts, heavily influenced by Wills in Bristol. 

Add 22k and 6k you get 28k which is more. I'm not saying they'd all come together as one, but, with more income from that support, less of a split in sponsorship and LA conflicts reduced, there'd be more cash and influence to go round.

Would you like me to list the one team towns/cities that have been more successful than Bristol, because there is about five times as many. The only comparable city you've mentioned that is not considerably bigger than Bristol and with a much larger catchment area, is Stoke.

We all need someone to hate
Someone who your mates support, so you can have the banter with
I'd rather see a kid with a R*vers shirt on than Man City or Chelsea - what's the ******* point in that?

Right now they are completely irrelevant to us, long may that continue, but I do like them being around in the background

In our shadow, if you like

6 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

You'd think the glory hunting kids would have switched to Liverpool by now. ;) 

Don't get me started on that lot......but now you've mentioned them, here we go.....

They ******* piss me off more than R*vers, if I'm honest. ******* everywhere that lot

Why Liverpool - my Dad supported them
Ah, from Merseyside, is he? - no, he's supported them from when he was a kid because they were brilliant then

Bloke with United shirt on walks past.....'******* plastic fan. Bet he never goes. Only supports them because they won everything when he was a kid'

And the irony is completely lost on them

I would rather R*vers won every single game between now and May and won L1 than Liverpool win the PL. They will be unbearable

**** off

6 hours ago, 'Orns said:

Don't get me started on that lot......but now you've mentioned them, here we go.....

They ******* piss me off more than R*vers, if I'm honest. ******* everywhere that lot

Ah, from Merseyside, is he? - no, he's supported them from when he was a kid because they were brilliant then

Bloke with United shirt on walks past.....'******* plastic fan. Bet he never goes. Only supports them because they won everything when he was a kid'

I would rather R*vers won every single game between now and May and won L1 than Liverpool win the PL. They will be unbearable

**** off

Rant over!

I see similar rants on Twitter from fans of other random clubs and I never really get it.

Having only ever supported City but am a fan of the Premier League I can't be the only one who is actually quite looking forward to a different team winning the title? Rather than the same old Man City, Man City, Chelsea, Man City pattern of recent times.

5 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I see similar rants on Twitter from fans of other random clubs and I never really get it.

Having only ever supported City but am a fan of the Premier League I can't be the only one who is actually quite looking forward to a different team winning the title? Rather than the same old Man City, Man City, Chelsea, Man City pattern of recent times.

You obviously don't know the Liverpool fans that I know then ?

Can't go on facebook without them lording it, and having a go at United at the same time. I'm no fan of United, but what the **** has it got to do with them? They are like R*vers are to us, lightyears behind

Don't get me wrong, would love a pint with Klopp and they are great to watch, but their fans can kiss my balls

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't know the full context of those quotes but if he's referring to Bristolian football then I actually think he's right.

I don't know about anyone else, but Bristol derbies are my favourite games to watch. Cardiff doesn't quite do it in the same way, especially because many of their fans see Swansea as bigger rivals as we do Rovers. 

It's great we're leaving Rovers behind in all areas, but part of me would quite like us to play them twice a season. Something to look forward to on the fixture list. 

Problem is, as time goes on, that connection to the derbies lessens. I first got into football in 89/90 and the rivalry was immense. In fact I'd say the need to be "City" or "Rovers" in my primary school and the passionate desire to defend whichever side you had chosen (or had inherited from your parents or friends) was part of the reason I got into football as strongly as I did as a seven or eight year old.

But we haven't been in the same division for almost two decades and there are people in their twenties or younger where the rivalry has barely existed in a meaningful way. Kids can't have debates and arguments like me and my friends did about who was better and who would get in who's team 'cos the answer is clearly our players are better and, when we signed their star striker, he couldn't nail down a starting place.

I get what you mean and I wish we had the derbies again but, having been without them for so long, Cardiff feels like our main rivalry now (although they obviously care more about Swansea) and I probably care about rivalries like Swansea and Swindon more than I do Rovers because there is more of a recent history. Even "grudge" rivalries like our spat with Palace a few years ago had more intensity than us and Rovers. I miss the rivalry but the truth is I don't give two hoots about a team a division below us with a weaker squad and half the resources. Us trying to compete with Rovers wouldn't be a rivalry - it'd be bullying. You can't compete with a club that is currently inferior in every objective respect.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Problem is, as time goes on, that connection to the derbies lessens. I first got into football in 89/90 and the rivalry was immense. In fact I'd say the need to be "City" or "Rovers" in my primary school and the passionate desire to defend whichever side you had chosen (or had inherited from your parents or friends) was part of the reason I got into football as strongly as I did as a seven or eight year old.

I got into football at around the same time, the 1990 World Cup was what opened my eyes to the game.

My dad was a City fan and so it was an easy choice to make, there was no way he was going to drive me all the way to Bath to watch a team he detested.

All the kids back then seemed to be either City or Rovers.  There were a few that had second teams (Liverpool or Man U) but they didn't seem to brag about their other clubs, it was all piss taking based on the local sides and fierce loyalty.  Although I remember one kid who was Rovers, switched to City, switched to Liverpool and then went back to Rovers.  Weirdo.

The rivalry between the two was what helped keep us kids interested.  The clubs were not so far apart in quality back then and so any derby could go either way.  It wasn't ridiculous to think that Rovers could finish higher in the league than City, it was a real and scary possibility!

That all seemed to change in the late 90s/early 00s when kids started exclusively following Premier League clubs.  Man U's marketing was phenomenal really, they persuaded kids from all over the country (and world!) to support a team they would never even see other than on TV. 

It's sad, but I don't see it changing unless City become a regular top 4 club.  So yeah, it is never going to change.

This is why I would always consider him to be odious. I can't buy in to the people who would gladly have him here as a manager or show appreciation or admiration for what he has achieved as a manager.

My thoughts are that as he's frequently in the media and as he's publically stated how proud he is to be a Bristolian; he should be actively supporting and promoting everything that is good about sport in Bristol, blue or red. This blinkered approach and backhanded compliments do him a disservice.

We definitely do not need them. The problem we've had historically is we're bigger than them but never massively so compared to other two team cities (Stoke v Port Vale, Forest v County etc). Support/funding etc has therefore split the city.

Now the gap is massive and other than to have a good laugh at them, they have no reason for their existence other than to deny Bristol the most successful team it can possibly have. If we had those 6,000 fans we'd be the biggest or top two/three biggest clubs in this league for example.

As for the Bristol derby; no I don't miss it. Rather than using our relative success as a yardstick and incentive for their own club they are more content with trying to drag us down to their level.

So playing them using their mindset [unless it was an unlikely cup match] would only mean that we have fallen back down to their level. They will never get to and compete to our level.

5 hours ago, Swede said:

"We need each other"

I would personally like to see them go out of existence, and the majority of my mates think the same way.

Don't need them whatsoever and don't miss playing them either.

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

erm....  not forgetting  Leicester City of course! ?  

We'd obviously need a flux capacitor and a disregard for any paradoxes for this, but it would be interesting to see what football in Bristol would be like if we had always been a one team city.  Would Bristol have had more top flight/cup success over the years if there was just one team?  Would we be in a stronger position now?

58 minutes ago, Swede said:

As for the Bristol derby; no I don't miss it. Rather than using our relative success as a yardstick and incentive for their own club they are more content with trying to drag us down to their level.

So playing them using their mindset [unless it was an unlikely cup match] would only mean that we have fallen back down to their level. They will never get to and compete to our level.

I think saying they will never get to and compete to our level is a little bit naive. You just have to look at the last 20 years of English football history to see the gargantuan demises in financial security and league standing that can befall clubs, as well as the sudden upturns in financial investment and form that can embolden others. In the next 5 years? Almost certainly not, but who knows what the next 10 to 20 years hold for us both.

Football is sterile enough without us actively not wanting local football derbies. Can't wait till we next play them to be honest

57 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I got into football at around the same time, the 1990 World Cup was what opened my eyes to the game.

My dad was a City fan and so it was an easy choice to make, there was no way he was going to drive me all the way to Bath to watch a team he detested.

All the kids back then seemed to be either City or Rovers.  There were a few that had second teams (Liverpool or Man U) but they didn't seem to brag about their other clubs, it was all piss taking based on the local sides and fierce loyalty.  Although I remember one kid who was Rovers, switched to City, switched to Liverpool and then went back to Rovers.  Weirdo.

The rivalry between the two was what helped keep us kids interested.  The clubs were not so far apart in quality back then and so any derby could go either way.  It wasn't ridiculous to think that Rovers could finish higher in the league than City, it was a real and scary possibility!

That all seemed to change in the late 90s/early 00s when kids started exclusively following Premier League clubs.  Man U's marketing was phenomenal really, they persuaded kids from all over the country (and world!) to support a team they would never even see other than on TV. 

It's sad, but I don't see it changing unless City become a regular top 4 club.  So yeah, it is never going to change.

You had a 'taste' of what 'Bristol Football' was and could be... 

Sadly even you have only gad a 'sniff' of it...

You'd need to have been around in the 60s and 70s to really appreciate what true, passionate, City v Rovers loyalty and rivalry meant…. All the way through school yard playgrounds to actual 'derby days' … pre season Glos Cup Finals etc... Almost everyone had either a Red & White (or blue & white) scarf tucked around their neck or hanging from wrists... 

The City or Rovers 'bants' (before football 'banter' was even a thing) was truly a daily way of life in Bristol...

Of course we were always the 'superior' club of the two but 'the Gas' always had a decent presence around the area, as I say in schools, workplaces, buses, shops, every walk of life the Red / Blue divide existed (contrary to popular belief, mostly good natured piss taking rather than the inevitable matchday 'comings together' -must be said, we did seem to always 'take the Tote End' though!  

Living through those brilliant 'Bristol Football' days I can see where Holloways lifetime obsession has come from (albeit he was on the 'other' side) its just that as well actually playing he, like us fans, lived through those sane gloriously and dearly missed days. 

I'm afraid it's a case of you having 'had to have been there' situations for anyone to really understand.. Theres be nothing like it ever since … special times, when lifetime allegiances were formed on both sides, perhaps one or two outside teams made personal appearances now and again, mostly due to relocating families bringing their team loyalties with them... There was hardly ever a 'plastic' among them, if you were Bristol born & bred YOU WERE EITHER RED or BLUE full stop!   

I'd like to see Wally sell the ground and them to move away to Forest Green or Gretna Green. I honestly believe they'll never come back then, they've already stolen the only remaining stadium in Bristol &  they'll never have the money to build one. A win win from me , a lifetime away from Bristol whilst I can still rip the piss out of them every single day for the rest of mine.

2 hours ago, 'Orns said:

I would rather R*vers won every single game between now and May and won L1 than Liverpool win the PL. They will be unfuckingbearable

**** off

Just remind them that the Manchester clubs were established for the people of Manchester.

Likewise, the Liverpool clubs were established for the people of Liverpool.

Then ask them "why are you following (don't say supporting), somebody else's club (you ****wit !) ?"

Archived