IGNORED

Holloway "We need each other"

Swede

13 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Just remind them that the Manchester clubs were established for the people of Manchester.

Likewise, the Liverpool clubs were established for the people of Liverpool.

Then ask them "why are you following (don't say supporting), somebody else's club (you ****wit !) ?"

This

Was speaking a new lad at work not so long back, conversation got to football. He 'supports' West Ham and Juventus.....

When I said I was a City fan, he asked which PL club I 'support' as well

Shit you not. Stunning

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Just remind them that the Manchester clubs were established for the people of Manchester.

Likewise, the Liverpool clubs were established for the people of Liverpool.

Then ask them "why are you following (don't say supporting), somebody else's club (you ****wit !) ?"

Not as easy as that, lad I work with is a Leeds fan, he’s from world born and bred, the reason he supports Leeds is because his grandad supports them and it was the first live game he went too

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Not as easy as that, lad I work with is a Leeds fan, he’s from world born and bred, the reason he supports Leeds is because his grandad supports them and it was the first live game he went too

We're ALL World born and bred, ...(except for them extra-terrestrials up Horfield) … Monkeh. ?

Reckon that Leeds matey has a justifiable family reason to hold a 'soft-spot' for them … but to support them?

Good God whats the matter with the bloke. ?

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Don't need them, don't want them, hate playing them, they only hold us back. Ask yourself how much success we've had with them as our neighbours/rivals. When we do play them, the expectations are that we should beat them, from every corner. So, we're on a hiding to nothing when we do play them.

How do they hold us back you say?

Sponsorship from within Bristol. In the past, firms have been quoted as saying they can't sponsor one team without the other, so they sponsor nobody. This was the case with one of the wealthiest group ever in this City. W.D and H.O. Wills. Whose last family member sponsored Swindon. There is also a reluctance from the LA to get involved for fear of upsetting the other party.

Split support. Compared to other comparable cities, we are relatively well off, with a larger middle class population. That produces less people that might be inclined to attend matches and maybe lacking some who would be more fervent supporters, as appears the case in more working class areas. Although we do attract relatively large numbers between the two clubs for the dross that is served up.

The list of one team towns/cities that have been more successful than us is considerable.

In the past, they have done all they could to stop us as a club progressing. They were the "only" large professional sporting body to not support "Bristol's" world cup bid, even to the detriment of their own club benefitting through the spin offs. Behind the scenes they contrived to find and pass on information to stop/delay our new stadium. Openly, their supporters also did their utmost to stir the shyte when it came to petitions and opposition to the new developments planned by our club.

No we don't need them.

There's a lot to be said to having a one Club City.

Everyone pulling together and supporting one team that represents us all.

I think Holloway is one of football’s entertaining characters. I smile at his wit and I actually admire his proud gashead roots and principles. 
As various people have stated before; I have more respect for a genuine gashead who has supported his local team through all the turmoils, over a ‘plastic’ who only sees his side on Sky, Amazon or BT and has no cultural or historical links. 
As for Rovers the club - well we don’t NEED them at all - although the number of posts in the ‘dustbin’ thread might suggest otherwise. I simply don’t care about them at all. 
I was in the East End when the goal was scored which sent them down - many around me celebrated but I didn’t. I didn’t care one way or another. 
I suppose I’d go as far as to say that I wouldn’t want them to be higher than us in the league, but as long as they aren’t then they can do and say what they want. 
I also hate the local derbies - awful, scrappy football, crowd trouble and no pubs open - what’s to like???!!!

I cant recall this intense spat with palace london.

Can you run  by me what it was that had you on the edge of your seat.

Last time i stood on the terraces at the memorial, rovers won a penalty late on, they missed, we knew they were down.

That is a rollercoaster of intensity ask anyone who was there.

Beats a spat!

Don't think we need them, I've seen a few Bristol derbies in my time, in the late 80's and 90's and yet I still don't feel the same animosity I do towards Cardiff for Rovers. 

To be honest the Derby after the one where Beadle equalised for them and it all kicked off, they brought barely 1500 to Ashton Gate,and to be fair from that day on I lost any respect for them as a rival, and although games after that I enjoyed beating them, it gave me far more pleasure beating Cardiff than them. 

Give me the 3-1 win at Ninian Park over the 3-1 at home against Rovers When Thorpe scored the third goal. 

Also for me defeats against Cardiff have hurt far more than anything against Rovers, when we lost in the playoff Semis to them it was devastating, think that hurt more than losing to Hull, watching Spensor Prior play like Paolo ******* Maldini in the 0-0 second leg. 

So for me I just don't care, they can stay just scraping by in irrelevance or go bust it really doesn't bother me any more. 

21 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't know the full context of those quotes but if he's referring to Bristolian football then I actually think he's right.

I don't know about anyone else, but Bristol derbies are my favourite games to watch. Cardiff doesn't quite do it in the same way, especially because many of their fans see Swansea as bigger rivals as we do Rovers. 

It's great we're leaving Rovers behind in all areas, but part of me would quite like us to play them twice a season. Something to look forward to on the fixture list. 

Yeh then at least we could look forward to six points in a season against the same club for once.

23 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't know the full context of those quotes but if he's referring to Bristolian football then I actually think he's right.

I don't know about anyone else, but Bristol derbies are my favourite games to watch. Cardiff doesn't quite do it in the same way, especially because many of their fans see Swansea as bigger rivals as we do Rovers. 

It's great we're leaving Rovers behind in all areas, but part of me would quite like us to play them twice a season. Something to look forward to on the fixture list. 

No thank you. I hate playing them. As the bigger club we are always expected to win, so even if we win, we have only met expectations. If we lose then it gets banged on about for years and years. 

We beat them the last time we played them, I'm very content to just leave it at that.

10 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Well, I was in the East End. 
whatever the ‘event’ was that sent them down I don’t know - (that’s how much notice I take of what Rovers are doing) but a huge cheer went up when there was very little going on in our own game!

Not when they were relegated out of the league.

7 hours ago, Spud55 said:

Don't think we need them, I've seen a few Bristol derbies in my time, in the late 80's and 90's and yet I still don't feel the same animosity I do towards Cardiff for Rovers. 

To be honest the Derby after the one where Beadle equalised for them and it all kicked off, they brought barely 1500 to Ashton Gate,and to be fair from that day on I lost any respect for them as a rival, and although games after that I enjoyed beating them, it gave me far more pleasure beating Cardiff than them. 

Give me the 3-1 win at Ninian Park over the 3-1 at home against Rovers When Thorpe scored the third goal. 

Also for me defeats against Cardiff have hurt far more than anything against Rovers, when we lost in the playoff Semis to them it was devastating, think that hurt more than losing to Hull, watching Spensor Prior play like Paolo ******* Maldini in the 0-0 second leg. 

So for me I just don't care, they can stay just scraping by in irrelevance or go bust it really doesn't bother me any more. 

Mate, I respect that everyone feels different about derbies, mainly due to one's experiences, but I've never understood this thing with Cardiff over the Gas.

Yeah they are a big rivals with historical links down the years (used to go over there in the early nineties), but they just simply do not compare to a true local derby, purely because of the geographical location and proximity. Any place where you literally used to spend day to day slinging banter back and forth (most of it good natured, but in some instances not!) is gonna manifest strong emotional feelings and ties with your rival, whether it was in school or work environment. Cardiff fans now and then are few and far between with no cultural links of growing up in the city.

I get the anglo-welsh animosity, but bragging rights against your rival for the city was just on another level, and if on the losing side, you just used to suck it up and deal with it, part of growing up and learning to lose, making the feeling of winning when it came around that much more special!

Yep id go along with the previous poster.

Cardiff were never viewed like rovers in the mid to late 80s.

They were just a easy 3 points and a lively day out.

Both times i went there in those days,we had as many fans as them.

1 was when wimbleton scored a penalty, and the other we lost in the coca cola cup 1 0.

Andy cole got a hat trick in the 2nd leg at ours.

2 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Mate, I respect that everyone feels different about derbies, mainly due to one's experiences, but I've never understood this thing with Cardiff over the Gas.

Yeah they are a big rivals with historical links down the years (used to go over there in the early nineties), but they just simply do not compare to a true local derby, purely because of the geographical location and proximity. Any place where you literally used to spend day to day slinging banter back and forth (most of it good natured, but in some instances not!) is gonna manifest strong emotional feelings and ties with your rival, whether it was in school or work environment. Cardiff fans now and then are few and far between with no cultural links of growing up in the city.

I get the anglo-welsh animosity, but bragging rights against your rival for the city was just on another level, and if on the losing side, you just used to suck it up and deal with it, part of growing up and learning to lose, making the feeling of winning when it came around that much more special!

Because ever since I have been going Rovers have been garbage, I believe they have beaten us once in the league that I can remember since I supported city, never knew any Rovers fans growing up, so bragging rights were non existant, and as I said when they could only manage to bring 1500 to AG which I believe was the second Derby I ever attended, for me that ensured I never had any respect for them as a serious rival.

Cardiff on the other hand are totally different for me, the atmosphere was way more hostile, after the 2nd and third went in after being pelted with coins bottles and the like a load of us were literally half way up the fence going absolutely mental, then being pelted with half the car park by Cardiff Fans after the game. 

Never been to a Derby game that was anything like that in terms of hostility and atmosphere, yes I enjoyed watching us beat rovers, but outside of one off games, Hartlepool, Palace, Man U, nothing compares to those games at Ninian Park. 

That gashead xxxx is not from Bristol.

Like much of their support,which is not from Bristol.

South Glos does not count as Bristol.

We do not  need each other .Bristol Rovers are a festering sore on this great city.

P.s and that is what I told my oldest friend and best man who supports those deluded xxxxwits earlier today. He also boycotts them as well.

Coyr ctid 

On 23/01/2020 at 11:18, Rich said:

Don't need them, don't want them, hate playing them, they only hold us back. Ask yourself how much success we've had with them as our neighbours/rivals. When we do play them, the expectations are that we should beat them, from every corner. So, we're on a hiding to nothing when we do play them.

How do they hold us back you say?

Sponsorship from within Bristol. In the past, firms have been quoted as saying they can't sponsor one team without the other, so they sponsor nobody. This was the case with one of the wealthiest group ever in this City. W.D and H.O. Wills. Whose last family member sponsored Swindon. There is also a reluctance from the LA to get involved for fear of upsetting the other party.

Split support. Compared to other comparable cities, we are relatively well off, with a larger middle class population. That produces less people that might be inclined to attend matches and maybe lacking some who would be more fervent supporters, as appears the case in more working class areas. Although we do attract relatively large numbers between the two clubs for the dross that is served up.

The list of one team towns/cities that have been more successful than us is considerable.

In the past, they have done all they could to stop us as a club progressing. They were the "only" large professional sporting body to not support "Bristol's" world cup bid, even to the detriment of their own club benefitting through the spin offs. Behind the scenes they contrived to find and pass on information to stop/delay our new stadium. Openly, their supporters also did their utmost to stir the shyte when it came to petitions and opposition to the new developments planned by our club.

No we don't need them.

totally agree 

Don't need em. If we get a derby in the coming years, something spectacularly bad has happened to us or equally something spectacularly good to them. None of which I want to think about. 

Moron FC are like that smelly house on the road. Where rubbish is all over the front garden. It has bed sheets for curtains on windows that have never been cleaned. A rusty POS car with parts and tires everywhere, fag ends in a old tin of peeled tomatoes that has over flowed two times. A fat bird walks around in her juicy tracky bottoms with fake Ugg boots, arse hanging out. They say all brides are beautiful... not this one. Her 2 fat kids are bullys and walking prison sentences in 5 years.  Holloway the proud owner of it all. He is like that strange uncle who scratchs his stomach constantly, like he is nervous all the time. Nose picking, arse sniffing, ball fondling weirdo. They are all weird. He is weird... But even more weird than all that, is the mindset that somehow everyone in the same street needs them.

A one team city would galvanize support and would only benefit us in the long run. A one team Bristol looks to be more of a reality than Moron FC in the championship anyway. 

For me it's swindle. Always giving it large.

I pretty much detested them before, but continually hanging on to their one season in the premier league before the spectacular nose dive out of it, much like Forest with the "famous club" song but that double winning season, the sense of injustice both on and off the pitch was palpable.

The return match was oh so sweet and would've been even better had that midget Thomson been there.

I see the sags only as a laughing stock and there's plenty to choose from out there with skeletor a parody of your typical sad sag.

19 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Don't need em. If we get a derby in the coming years, something spectacularly bad has happened to us or equally something spectacularly good to them. None of which I want to think about. 

Moron FC are like that smelly house on the road. Where rubbish is all over the front garden. It has bed sheets for curtains on windows that have never been cleaned. A rusty POS car with parts and tires everywhere, fag ends in a old tin of peeled tomatoes that has over flowed two times. A fat bird walks around in her juicy tracky bottoms with fake Ugg boots, arse hanging out. They say all brides are beautiful... not this one. Her 2 fat kids are bullys and walking prison sentences in 5 years.  Holloway the proud owner of it all. He is like that strange uncle who scratchs his stomach constantly, like he is nervous all the time. Nose picking, arse sniffing, ball fondling weirdo. They are all weird. He is weird... But even more weird than all that, is the mindset that somehow everyone in the same street needs them.

A one team city would galvanize support and would only benefit us in the long run. A one team Bristol looks to be more of a reality than Moron FC in the championship anyway. 

You paint a pretty picture. (Made me laugh anyway)

Archived