IGNORED

Holloway "We need each other"

Swede

7 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Well, I was in the East End. 
whatever the ‘event’ was that sent them down I don’t know - (that’s how much notice I take of what Rovers are doing) but a huge cheer went up when there was very little going on in our own game!

I’m going to take a guess that this was the last day in the old East End against Crewe? I remember a cheer about half way through the first half, at the time I assumed they’d gone one down against Wycombe however it wasn’t until after the game I found out that it was actually Wycombe's equaliser.

Rovers won the match and their fans celebrated survival in the football league...the ******* morons. 

Skim read to check no one referenced the origin but am not reading the nonsense in response. 

The quotes come from Colin Murray’s “At Home” podcast series. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pm9sl/episodes/downloads

I listened to the Holloway one earlier. In full context none of his quotes here are as reported and he comes across very well in discussing both his career and Bristol football including the current state of both clubs. 

On 24/01/2020 at 17:14, Spud55 said:

Because ever since I have been going Rovers have been garbage, I believe they have beaten us once in the league that I can remember since I supported city, never knew any Rovers fans growing up, so bragging rights were non existant, and as I said when they could only manage to bring 1500 to AG which I believe was the second Derby I ever attended, for me that ensured I never had any respect for them as a serious rival.

Cardiff on the other hand are totally different for me, the atmosphere was way more hostile, after the 2nd and third went in after being pelted with coins bottles and the like a load of us were literally half way up the fence going absolutely mental, then being pelted with half the car park by Cardiff Fans after the game. 

Never been to a Derby game that was anything like that in terms of hostility and atmosphere, yes I enjoyed watching us beat rovers, but outside of one off games, Hartlepool, Palace, Man U, nothing compares to those games at Ninian Park. 

Fair enough Spud, thought that might be the case. That is the real shame for me, the rivalry has been watered down over the years to extent some younger fans dont have the opportunity to experience said environment.

I'm pretty sure that's all the Gas would have been allocated for that fixture if its the same one Im thinking of, where they encroached on to the pitch

Now, I'm gonna take pelters for this, but I wouldn't begrudge seeing Rovers back in the same division if it meant we could have those derby games back again. Tin hat on ha haa!! ?‍?

I don’t think we NEED them. However, as I’m a bit older than a lot on here, I remember quite a few derbies. We didn’t always get the result we wanted, but they were more intense than any other matches. Going to Twerton was always interesting...

For me, the added intensity made winning a derby more enjoyable/memorable.

This video can explain better than I can:

On 23/01/2020 at 15:20, WhistleHappy said:

You had a 'taste' of what 'Bristol Football' was and could be... 

Sadly even you have only gad a 'sniff' of it...

You'd need to have been around in the 60s and 70s to really appreciate what true, passionate, City v Rovers loyalty and rivalry meant…. All the way through school yard playgrounds to actual 'derby days' … pre season Glos Cup Finals etc... Almost everyone had either a Red & White (or blue & white) scarf tucked around their neck or hanging from wrists... 

The City or Rovers 'bants' (before football 'banter' was even a thing) was truly a daily way of life in Bristol...

Of course we were always the 'superior' club of the two but 'the Gas' always had a decent presence around the area, as I say in schools, workplaces, buses, shops, every walk of life the Red / Blue divide existed (contrary to popular belief, mostly good natured piss taking rather than the inevitable matchday 'comings together' -must be said, we did seem to always 'take the Tote End' though!  

Living through those brilliant 'Bristol Football' days I can see where Holloways lifetime obsession has come from (albeit he was on the 'other' side) its just that as well actually playing he, like us fans, lived through those sane gloriously and dearly missed days. 

I'm afraid it's a case of you having 'had to have been there' situations for anyone to really understand.. Theres be nothing like it ever since … special times, when lifetime allegiances were formed on both sides, perhaps one or two outside teams made personal appearances now and again, mostly due to relocating families bringing their team loyalties with them... There was hardly ever a 'plastic' among them, if you were Bristol born & bred YOU WERE EITHER RED or BLUE full stop!   

The 80s were pretty tasty too at times. Since then, nothing really, although the Rumbelows 2-legged defeat was hard to take at 6th form.

On 23/01/2020 at 13:36, LondonBristolian said:

Problem is, as time goes on, that connection to the derbies lessens. I first got into football in 89/90 and the rivalry was immense. In fact I'd say the need to be "City" or "Rovers" in my primary school and the passionate desire to defend whichever side you had chosen (or had inherited from your parents or friends) was part of the reason I got into football as strongly as I did as a seven or eight year old.

But we haven't been in the same division for almost two decades and there are people in their twenties or younger where the rivalry has barely existed in a meaningful way. Kids can't have debates and arguments like me and my friends did about who was better and who would get in who's team 'cos the answer is clearly our players are better and, when we signed their star striker, he couldn't nail down a starting place.

I get what you mean and I wish we had the derbies again but, having been without them for so long, Cardiff feels like our main rivalry now (although they obviously care more about Swansea) and I probably care about rivalries like Swansea and Swindon more than I do Rovers because there is more of a recent history. Even "grudge" rivalries like our spat with Palace a few years ago had more intensity than us and Rovers. I miss the rivalry but the truth is I don't give two hoots about a team a division below us with a weaker squad and half the resources. Us trying to compete with Rovers wouldn't be a rivalry - it'd be bullying. You can't compete with a club that is currently inferior in every objective respect.

I got to say as a Swindon fan I miss playing City and have great memories going back since the late 70's 

Archived