Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Swede

Holloway "We need each other"

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Spud55 said:

Don't think we need them, I've seen a few Bristol derbies in my time, in the late 80's and 90's and yet I still don't feel the same animosity I do towards Cardiff for Rovers. 

To be honest the Derby after the one where Beadle equalised for them and it all kicked off, they brought barely 1500 to Ashton Gate,and to be fair from that day on I lost any respect for them as a rival, and although games after that I enjoyed beating them, it gave me far more pleasure beating Cardiff than them. 

Give me the 3-1 win at Ninian Park over the 3-1 at home against Rovers When Thorpe scored the third goal. 

Also for me defeats against Cardiff have hurt far more than anything against Rovers, when we lost in the playoff Semis to them it was devastating, think that hurt more than losing to Hull, watching Spensor Prior play like Paolo ******* Maldini in the 0-0 second leg. 

So for me I just don't care, they can stay just scraping by in irrelevance or go bust it really doesn't bother me any more. 

Mate, I respect that everyone feels different about derbies, mainly due to one's experiences, but I've never understood this thing with Cardiff over the Gas.

Yeah they are a big rivals with historical links down the years (used to go over there in the early nineties), but they just simply do not compare to a true local derby, purely because of the geographical location and proximity. Any place where you literally used to spend day to day slinging banter back and forth (most of it good natured, but in some instances not!) is gonna manifest strong emotional feelings and ties with your rival, whether it was in school or work environment. Cardiff fans now and then are few and far between with no cultural links of growing up in the city.

I get the anglo-welsh animosity, but bragging rights against your rival for the city was just on another level, and if on the losing side, you just used to suck it up and deal with it, part of growing up and learning to lose, making the feeling of winning when it came around that much more special!

Edited by jaydee=inspiration
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep id go along with the previous poster.

Cardiff were never viewed like rovers in the mid to late 80s.

They were just a easy 3 points and a lively day out.

Both times i went there in those days,we had as many fans as them.

1 was when wimbleton scored a penalty, and the other we lost in the coca cola cup 1 0.

Andy cole got a hat trick in the 2nd leg at ours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Mate, I respect that everyone feels different about derbies, mainly due to one's experiences, but I've never understood this thing with Cardiff over the Gas.

Yeah they are a big rivals with historical links down the years (used to go over there in the early nineties), but they just simply do not compare to a true local derby, purely because of the geographical location and proximity. Any place where you literally used to spend day to day slinging banter back and forth (most of it good natured, but in some instances not!) is gonna manifest strong emotional feelings and ties with your rival, whether it was in school or work environment. Cardiff fans now and then are few and far between with no cultural links of growing up in the city.

I get the anglo-welsh animosity, but bragging rights against your rival for the city was just on another level, and if on the losing side, you just used to suck it up and deal with it, part of growing up and learning to lose, making the feeling of winning when it came around that much more special!

Because ever since I have been going Rovers have been garbage, I believe they have beaten us once in the league that I can remember since I supported city, never knew any Rovers fans growing up, so bragging rights were non existant, and as I said when they could only manage to bring 1500 to AG which I believe was the second Derby I ever attended, for me that ensured I never had any respect for them as a serious rival.

Cardiff on the other hand are totally different for me, the atmosphere was way more hostile, after the 2nd and third went in after being pelted with coins bottles and the like a load of us were literally half way up the fence going absolutely mental, then being pelted with half the car park by Cardiff Fans after the game. 

Never been to a Derby game that was anything like that in terms of hostility and atmosphere, yes I enjoyed watching us beat rovers, but outside of one off games, Hartlepool, Palace, Man U, nothing compares to those games at Ninian Park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That gashead xxxx is not from Bristol.

Like much of their support,which is not from Bristol.

South Glos does not count as Bristol.

We do not  need each other .Bristol Rovers are a festering sore on this great city.

P.s and that is what I told my oldest friend and best man who supports those deluded xxxxwits earlier today. He also boycotts them as well.

Coyr ctid 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2020 at 11:18, Rich said:

Don't need them, don't want them, hate playing them, they only hold us back. Ask yourself how much success we've had with them as our neighbours/rivals. When we do play them, the expectations are that we should beat them, from every corner. So, we're on a hiding to nothing when we do play them.

How do they hold us back you say?

Sponsorship from within Bristol. In the past, firms have been quoted as saying they can't sponsor one team without the other, so they sponsor nobody. This was the case with one of the wealthiest group ever in this City. W.D and H.O. Wills. Whose last family member sponsored Swindon. There is also a reluctance from the LA to get involved for fear of upsetting the other party.

Split support. Compared to other comparable cities, we are relatively well off, with a larger middle class population. That produces less people that might be inclined to attend matches and maybe lacking some who would be more fervent supporters, as appears the case in more working class areas. Although we do attract relatively large numbers between the two clubs for the dross that is served up.

The list of one team towns/cities that have been more successful than us is considerable.

In the past, they have done all they could to stop us as a club progressing. They were the "only" large professional sporting body to not support "Bristol's" world cup bid, even to the detriment of their own club benefitting through the spin offs. Behind the scenes they contrived to find and pass on information to stop/delay our new stadium. Openly, their supporters also did their utmost to stir the shyte when it came to petitions and opposition to the new developments planned by our club.

No we don't need them.

totally agree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't need em. If we get a derby in the coming years, something spectacularly bad has happened to us or equally something spectacularly good to them. None of which I want to think about. 

Moron FC are like that smelly house on the road. Where rubbish is all over the front garden. It has bed sheets for curtains on windows that have never been cleaned. A rusty POS car with parts and tires everywhere, fag ends in a old tin of peeled tomatoes that has over flowed two times. A fat bird walks around in her juicy tracky bottoms with fake Ugg boots, arse hanging out. They say all brides are beautiful... not this one. Her 2 fat kids are bullys and walking prison sentences in 5 years.  Holloway the proud owner of it all. He is like that strange uncle who scratchs his stomach constantly, like he is nervous all the time. Nose picking, arse sniffing, ball fondling weirdo. They are all weird. He is weird... But even more weird than all that, is the mindset that somehow everyone in the same street needs them.

A one team city would galvanize support and would only benefit us in the long run. A one team Bristol looks to be more of a reality than Moron FC in the championship anyway. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it's swindle. Always giving it large.

I pretty much detested them before, but continually hanging on to their one season in the premier league before the spectacular nose dive out of it, much like Forest with the "famous club" song but that double winning season, the sense of injustice both on and off the pitch was palpable.

The return match was oh so sweet and would've been even better had that midget Thomson been there.

I see the sags only as a laughing stock and there's plenty to choose from out there with skeletor a parody of your typical sad sag.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Don't need em. If we get a derby in the coming years, something spectacularly bad has happened to us or equally something spectacularly good to them. None of which I want to think about. 

Moron FC are like that smelly house on the road. Where rubbish is all over the front garden. It has bed sheets for curtains on windows that have never been cleaned. A rusty POS car with parts and tires everywhere, fag ends in a old tin of peeled tomatoes that has over flowed two times. A fat bird walks around in her juicy tracky bottoms with fake Ugg boots, arse hanging out. They say all brides are beautiful... not this one. Her 2 fat kids are bullys and walking prison sentences in 5 years.  Holloway the proud owner of it all. He is like that strange uncle who scratchs his stomach constantly, like he is nervous all the time. Nose picking, arse sniffing, ball fondling weirdo. They are all weird. He is weird... But even more weird than all that, is the mindset that somehow everyone in the same street needs them.

A one team city would galvanize support and would only benefit us in the long run. A one team Bristol looks to be more of a reality than Moron FC in the championship anyway. 

You paint a pretty picture. (Made me laugh anyway)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Well, I was in the East End. 
whatever the ‘event’ was that sent them down I don’t know - (that’s how much notice I take of what Rovers are doing) but a huge cheer went up when there was very little going on in our own game!

I’m going to take a guess that this was the last day in the old East End against Crewe? I remember a cheer about half way through the first half, at the time I assumed they’d gone one down against Wycombe however it wasn’t until after the game I found out that it was actually Wycombe's equaliser.

Rovers won the match and their fans celebrated survival in the football league...the ******* morons. 

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skim read to check no one referenced the origin but am not reading the nonsense in response. 
 

The quotes come from Colin Murray’s “At Home” podcast series. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pm9sl/episodes/downloads
 

I listened to the Holloway one earlier. In full context none of his quotes here are as reported and he comes across very well in discussing both his career and Bristol football including the current state of both clubs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/01/2020 at 17:14, Spud55 said:

Because ever since I have been going Rovers have been garbage, I believe they have beaten us once in the league that I can remember since I supported city, never knew any Rovers fans growing up, so bragging rights were non existant, and as I said when they could only manage to bring 1500 to AG which I believe was the second Derby I ever attended, for me that ensured I never had any respect for them as a serious rival.

Cardiff on the other hand are totally different for me, the atmosphere was way more hostile, after the 2nd and third went in after being pelted with coins bottles and the like a load of us were literally half way up the fence going absolutely mental, then being pelted with half the car park by Cardiff Fans after the game. 

Never been to a Derby game that was anything like that in terms of hostility and atmosphere, yes I enjoyed watching us beat rovers, but outside of one off games, Hartlepool, Palace, Man U, nothing compares to those games at Ninian Park. 

Fair enough Spud, thought that might be the case. That is the real shame for me, the rivalry has been watered down over the years to extent some younger fans dont have the opportunity to experience said environment.

I'm pretty sure that's all the Gas would have been allocated for that fixture if its the same one Im thinking of, where they encroached on to the pitch

Now, I'm gonna take pelters for this, but I wouldn't begrudge seeing Rovers back in the same division if it meant we could have those derby games back again. Tin hat on ha haa!! 👨‍🏭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dictionary definition of "need:"

require something because it is essential or very important rather than desirable

On that basis I think we "need" a pacy, clinical goalscorer, and a win Tuesday; they "need" - well, where do we start? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think we NEED them. However, as I’m a bit older than a lot on here, I remember quite a few derbies. We didn’t always get the result we wanted, but they were more intense than any other matches. Going to Twerton was always interesting...

For me, the added intensity made winning a derby more enjoyable/memorable.

This video can explain better than I can:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2020 at 15:20, WhistleHappy said:

You had a 'taste' of what 'Bristol Football' was and could be... 

Sadly even you have only gad a 'sniff' of it...

You'd need to have been around in the 60s and 70s to really appreciate what true, passionate, City v Rovers loyalty and rivalry meant…. All the way through school yard playgrounds to actual 'derby days' … pre season Glos Cup Finals etc... Almost everyone had either a Red & White (or blue & white) scarf tucked around their neck or hanging from wrists... 

The City or Rovers 'bants' (before football 'banter' was even a thing) was truly a daily way of life in Bristol...

Of course we were always the 'superior' club of the two but 'the Gas' always had a decent presence around the area, as I say in schools, workplaces, buses, shops, every walk of life the Red / Blue divide existed (contrary to popular belief, mostly good natured piss taking rather than the inevitable matchday 'comings together' -must be said, we did seem to always 'take the Tote End' though!  

Living through those brilliant 'Bristol Football' days I can see where Holloways lifetime obsession has come from (albeit he was on the 'other' side) its just that as well actually playing he, like us fans, lived through those sane gloriously and dearly missed days. 

 

I'm afraid it's a case of you having 'had to have been there' situations for anyone to really understand.. Theres be nothing like it ever since … special times, when lifetime allegiances were formed on both sides, perhaps one or two outside teams made personal appearances now and again, mostly due to relocating families bringing their team loyalties with them... There was hardly ever a 'plastic' among them, if you were Bristol born & bred YOU WERE EITHER RED or BLUE full stop!   

The 80s were pretty tasty too at times. Since then, nothing really, although the Rumbelows 2-legged defeat was hard to take at 6th form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2020 at 13:36, LondonBristolian said:

Problem is, as time goes on, that connection to the derbies lessens. I first got into football in 89/90 and the rivalry was immense. In fact I'd say the need to be "City" or "Rovers" in my primary school and the passionate desire to defend whichever side you had chosen (or had inherited from your parents or friends) was part of the reason I got into football as strongly as I did as a seven or eight year old.

But we haven't been in the same division for almost two decades and there are people in their twenties or younger where the rivalry has barely existed in a meaningful way. Kids can't have debates and arguments like me and my friends did about who was better and who would get in who's team 'cos the answer is clearly our players are better and, when we signed their star striker, he couldn't nail down a starting place.

I get what you mean and I wish we had the derbies again but, having been without them for so long, Cardiff feels like our main rivalry now (although they obviously care more about Swansea) and I probably care about rivalries like Swansea and Swindon more than I do Rovers because there is more of a recent history. Even "grudge" rivalries like our spat with Palace a few years ago had more intensity than us and Rovers. I miss the rivalry but the truth is I don't give two hoots about a team a division below us with a weaker squad and half the resources. Us trying to compete with Rovers wouldn't be a rivalry - it'd be bullying. You can't compete with a club that is currently inferior in every objective respect.

I got to say as a Swindon fan I miss playing City and have great memories going back since the late 70's 

Edited by Shaun Taylor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...