IGNORED

Promised land negativity

Whale Eye Beef Hooked

Some great responses 

I think it was spudski that said a few years back we all wanted to be an astablished championship team and now we are ... and I might add at the right end of the table with the club being run IMO as well as any club which is why I don’t understand the crap that goes around after A few losses    
Its a great league with great football , anyone can beat anyone , I love watching it every week

i think if we go up we will do it properly, live within our means and make a go of it but if we do come back down then we can build with a bigger budget.  I’m assuming we are aiming to be a club like Southampton   

Depends whether or not you're a supporter of football or a rose-tinted football supporter.

If City get beat by a superior outfit playing decent football I'm sad though consoled by the fact we were outplayed. I hate being beaten by side who are no great shakes when we, too, are poor.

Not I fear we'll reach the promised land with this regime and despite being beaten twice it was brilliant to see the likes of Man City and the talent they put on show. That's entertainment.

I`ve never been a `Premier League is everything` person and while I get that we need to get there for financial reasons I certainly wouldn't enjoy getting royally rogered every week and going to AG wondering how many we`re going to get beat by today.

I`d much rather be competitive in the Championship and if that makes me lacking in ambition so be it.

3 hours ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

I’ve been thinking over the last few weeks... what’s this forum going to be like if we finally make it to the promised land.  
we will obviously struggle.   If you look at Newcastle,  awful to watch something like 30% possession at home and no shots on target until the 85th min ( last couple of games have been especially poor ).  Bournemouth have been awful, Norwich and Brighton have struggled of late ( ok , Bournemouth won their last game but before that were bad ) , Southampton started bad then got hammered 9-0 but have turned it around since etc etc 

it’s quite likely we will come back down , then re-build with the parachute payments, hopefully go back up and become a sustained premier league club.  
I’m just curious, with all the negativity on here after a couple of defeats, surely it will be toxic if we are in the bottom 3 of the prem mustering the odd goal / odd win here or there ?

Negativity or people just stating fact?

3 hours ago, Redstart said:

I was interested in the thread about how many decent players we all thought City currently hold with a view to a top 6 finish this season. Concensus of opinion seemed to be very few. On that basis I suspect hardly any of the current squad would actually be good enough for the Premiership.

So promotion would probably mean we'd have to rip the guts out of this team to try and survive, likely we would end up buying journeymen etc.with limited opportunity for the youngsters. The one thing that always makes me wonder is how do you motivate the current squad for a promotion push, which if successful, would probably mean they lose their job with the City. Can't be many occupations where success would  likely be rewarded with the boot.

Sheffield Utd is the correct answer ???

Seriously you buy sensibly, Mousset, McBurnie, Robinson, etc, and if you come back down you are financially shafted.

5 hours ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

I’ve been thinking over the last few weeks... what’s this forum going to be like if we finally make it to the promised land.  
we will obviously struggle.   If you look at Newcastle,  awful to watch something like 30% possession at home and no shots on target until the 85th min ( last couple of games have been especially poor ).  Bournemouth have been awful, Norwich and Brighton have struggled of late ( ok , Bournemouth won their last game but before that were bad ) , Southampton started bad then got hammered 9-0 but have turned it around since etc etc 

it’s quite likely we will come back down , then re-build with the parachute payments, hopefully go back up and become a sustained premier league club.  
I’m just curious, with all the negativity on here after a couple of defeats, surely it will be toxic if we are in the bottom 3 of the prem mustering the odd goal / odd win here or there ?

Is it really the promised land for us fans?

Yes, you get to see top players but there is no joy in losing every week and scraping for points

The only people who benefit are the owners of the club 

The joy of getting to the Prem is probably more exhilarating than playing in it. Look at Norwich, an excellent football playing team who were by far the best team last season yet they sit bottom and likely to go down

I enjoy the Championship because you can get top losing to bottom and no one team is head and shoulders above anyone else and we are competitive 

I don’t care how much SL invests in the club if promoted, as we would be nailed on relegation candidates 

About fifteen years ago someone posed the question on here "Do you want City in the Prem". The majority posted saying they'd be quite happy for City to be a strong Championship team with a good cup every few years.

Then we reached that P/O final and the then members of this forum seemed to change their minds to "We could do this, let's go for it".

Going further back when football was more even, in 1976 I wasn't scared, I was excited.

Of course after defeats to Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and the big clubs from the North West, this forum would be full of Johnson out posts.

A few years back Derby just made it into the play offs and then won them. Their manager was hailed as a hero. As soon as repeated defeats occurred though, he was out.

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

Of course after defeats to Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and the big clubs from the North West, this forum would be full of Johnson out posts.

A few years back Derby just made it into the play offs and then won them. Their manager was hailed as a hero. As soon as repeated defeats occurred though, he was out.

The Johnson Out brigade, have just temporarily become Johnson In ???

40 minutes ago, INCRED said:

The joy of getting to the Prem is probably more exhilarating than playing in it.  

The journey is without a doubt more enjoyable than the destination IMO.

In our defence I believe SL would not allow us to do a Fulham/Villa and spunk tens of millions on average players but would ensure we followed the Sheffield Utd/Norwich model.

• Admin

There is no point in existing as a club, taking part in a competition, unless the aim is to be successful.  Successful can mean different things to different people, but in a competitive sense, success must mean promotion.  How long would a large swath of the fan base be happy with being an ‘established Championship’ team, with not much likelihood of troubling the Prem.

I called it the Promised Land in a post the other day, somewhat tongue in cheek, I think the Premier League has been detrimental to the game as a whole, pushing up wages in lower leagues, introducing parachute payments and skewing the Championship, making it all about a customer experience, rather than the boys day out football used to be.  So a dilemma, I am not keen on what it stands for, for what it has done to the game, but if we don’t aim to get there, as I opened with, what’s the point of existing, with the set up and facilities we have?

I was able to see us in the top flight, so at least I have seen it, I wouldn’t want to deny anyone who wasn’t around then, that opportunity, but whilst the promotion night and some of the top flight games were amazing, I have had some genuinely brilliant times with friends and fellow City fans who I only knew to nod a hello at, in the lower leagues.  Would I want to go back, no, but I don’t want to stagnate either and not to do that will take a blend of luck, good recruitment, unearthing a gem or two from the academy - all falling into place in one season, it doesn’t feel like we are near that, but things can change quickly in football, so who knows.

6 hours ago, Redstart said:

I was interested in the thread about how many decent players we all thought City currently hold with a view to a top 6 finish this season. Concensus of opinion seemed to be very few. On that basis I suspect hardly any of the current squad would actually be good enough for the Premiership.

So promotion would probably mean we'd have to rip the guts out of this team to try and survive, likely we would end up buying journeymen etc.with limited opportunity for the youngsters. The one thing that always makes me wonder is how do you motivate the current squad for a promotion push, which if successful, would probably mean they lose their job with the City. Can't be many occupations where success would  likely be rewarded with the boot.

I had this discussion recently in the pub with a mate - so we came up with a team of recent-ish players that may have done ok-ish in the premier league if we’d kept hold of them - it was (4-4-1-1)

Bentley

Dasilva

Webster

Kalas

Ayling

Bryan

Brownhill 

Smith

Eliasson

Palmer

Abraham

We were probably talking a load of old bollox because drink had been taken! But the simple truth is, we’ll never know ... and it ain’t gonna happen anytime soon in my opinion ...

7 hours ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Some people/supporters are really very straightforward and uncomplicated:

We win, and they are happy/content (they won't be all over this forum all night); we don’t win, and they are miserable, not satisfied, and going to be moaning like **** until we next win. 

7 hours ago, myol'man said:

Mate of mine is a Swansea fan, he said once the novelty of visiting the big stadiums (high demand for limited ticket allocations) & seeing the famous names play at the Liberty had worn off & they started to struggle near the bottom they soon got fed up of hardly ever winning.

He says he's enjoying life back in the Championship

I can totally understand that..!

Of course I want us to go up, but I can see it quickly (3rd season maybe) becoming a bit tedious. Beginning each season with the sole hope and focus on not being relegated. 
I bet actually does come as something of a relief to actually come back down (as long as the club is well run and stood well financially) to then enjoy some relative success and enjoy winning games again. 
Obviously with the hope of going back up, to start the whole cycle again..! But after a year or two break, the novelty might return for another year or two..! 

It is Professional Sport and you have to try to get to the best level you can. I am certain that every one of our players want promotion, they may well not achieve it, but they will want to test themselves at the highest level possible.

The whole point for any club is to try and better themselves, regardless of the level they are at.

How many players and coaches don’t think that way - they don’t care if the game is not entertaining, they want to win, otherwise, what is the point?

I am really confused. 

i want city to win every game with silky flowing football up front and a rock solid defence of hard bastards. I would love to travel abroad to see city (not just Cardiff and Swansea!). It would be great to win a cup. I want Ashton Gate to feel like a home  that proper city fans can relate to. 

But I also want to see most (if not all) games at 3pm on a Saturday. I want ticket pricing to be within the reach of people earning average wages. I want regular fans to be in with a chance of getting tickets. I don’t want corporate types to be sat in hospitality boxes checking the programme every 5 mins to see who our number 9 is. 

I love where we are and want to progress as much as anyone. But I’m not sure that the Premiership is that promised land. 

Archived