IGNORED

What Mark Ashton actually said about January

Olé

3 hours ago, Xiled said:

Thanks Dave, those are better stats!

I still hope Semenyo comes good but the signs aren't great at present. He definitely needs more playing time and another loan might help as it has with other players.

But the issue remains, through the development path for young players we haven't produced a Premier League level striker in all the years I've been watching City. The best strikers I've seen have been the product of another club's development.

Real shame how Janneh's season has turned out. Was seemingly gonna go out on loan to league two or maybe even league one. 

Shocking how little Semenyo has been used post-Barnsley imho.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He doesn’t wake up the 1st of January and think ‘ oh shit , I better buy some players ‘ as some people seem to think .

You're absolutely correct Major .........of course it's actually around the 29th of January when that happens!

My two penny worth of thoughts, if they are indeed worth that much;

January is a difficult window, yes. But it is pretty much the same for everyone yet some other teams seem to be able to use it better,  and get the best out of being able to move players in and out.

A decent addition not only sends a positive message to the fans but to team mates too. Some players will be looking to see what help is arriving and gauging where their clubs ambitions lie. A lack of new blood may have current players looking at their options for their future away from the club.

In the context of bringing in the right players for us to progress Ashton isn’t the problem is he. He is working to the owners model. 

If the owner was serious he would have better coaches and scouts and a better ceo or whatever Ashton is. 

Not his fault he and those he works with are inferior to those who would naturally command a higher wedge. 

FFP is often quoted as the reason for the approach. That may be the case but I sense better quality everywhere off pitch might identify and then use players better. 

12 hours ago, RedDave said:

You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes yet assume the worst and assume the men running a pretty successful business are clueless.  Why?

As I said in another post, anyone with half a brain plans for the worst so the chances are we have done that again. Unless you think Mark Ashton is stupid 

Wait a minute - pretty successful business? We lose £30m a year - that is not successful in my eyes.

9 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Real shame how Janneh's season has turned out. Was seemingly gonna go out on loan to league two or maybe even league one. 

Shocking how little Semenyo has been used post-Barnsley imho.

It is not shocking re Semenyo - he is miles away from being ready, absolute miles.

Needs a loan this window and another in the summer for the whole season.

We failed to get Nketiah. Onto 2nd target. Can't get Wells? Onto Toney. Can't get him? Onto Marriott. Can't get him? Onto Hogan.

I think we will definitely get one in as long as we have a long list of targets!

I'm also hoping for a centre back. This Leicester guy may be perfect.

9 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

It is not shocking re Semenyo - he is miles away from being ready, absolute miles.

Needs a loan this window and another in the summer for the whole season.

I thought he was okay bar reading and Barnsley. Similar to Taylor Moore both have had shockers but you play them still so they learn and improve. 

46 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I thought he was okay bar reading and Barnsley. Similar to Taylor Moore both have had shockers but you play them still so they learn and improve. 

Agree, Preston (a) and Brentford (a) both this season I thought he did ok.  At the time I went back through all his “actions” on Wyscout, and it was decent enough.  Enough to regularly replace one of our 2 main forwards?  No, but compete? Yes.  Offer cover?  Yes, progress his development?  Yes.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

@Shtanley it’s a fact the the development of players in the 1st team will cost you points. The fans at the club are all to keen to jump on their back and send confidence even lower. Hence why the club are sending so many out on loan. 

I love seeing the young players come through the club. Take Bobby Every body say get rid of him then 1 good season sale for millions!

We as fans need to either chase the dream or enjoy when we get the home grown players in the team. For me we are miles away from a promotion, good teams all pulling together get promoted we are not going that!

The right signing could change it but I can’t see that happening.

Keep up the good work on the pod cast! 

Archived