IGNORED

All things Bristol Flyers

FlintSaidNo

Hi All - I've been trying to purchase 4 tickets for the Flyers' basketball match against Plymouth this Friday without success and now I see it's sold out.

I've tried hard to make contact with Bristol Sport but they don't make it easy.

I've called today and there's an automated message telling me they are open between 9-5 weekdays, and currently closed!?

Anyway, can anybody on here tell me if they tend to sell tickets on the door for the basketball?

I'm not terribly hopeful but my family will be disappointed as it was going to be our first game, and they're all blaming me for failing to sort this out weeks ago..(not an unfair accusation!).

Thanks for any help.

4 hours ago, Reddie Mix said:

Thanks RedM, I had no idea it was so popular.

I'll have to try another game and be a little more organised next time around...

The BS staff were doing staff training this afternoon so closed early I’m told. That’s why nobody was answering the phone.

Hopefully, that topic description will stop the purists of the forum moaning that this isn't football chat!

Anyway, before this gets moved to non-football chat (which is reasonable, but give it an hour or so, eh Mods?)

Flyers are on your tellybox this weekend. Details below. I've never seen 'em play before, but once that basketball arena gets built, I might take a bit more interest, so this could be a useful introduction.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you see a middle aged fan, with a red t-shirt (we all will be wearing red, Flyers and their sponsor having given us all one ??), getting slightly over excited and into it....that’ll be me.  Look out for a Big Aussie Flag....we will be sat in front of it (probably).

Cmon Flyers.

You might also see @TBW too, but he looks nothing like his avatar pic.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you see a middle aged fan, with a red t-shirt (we all will be wearing red, Flyers and their sponsor having given us all one ??), getting slightly over excited and into it....that’ll be me.  Look out for a Big Aussie Flag....we will be sat in front of it (probably).

Cmon Flyers.

You might also see @TBW too, but he looks nothing like his avatar pic.

Any chance of a brief introduction/synopsis of players to watch, things to look out for or anything else to get us Flyers friendly?

• Like 1

@TBW is the Basketball Guru, but here’s a “what can we expect” ???

Bristol Flyers:

Starting 5 likely to be:

Dan Edozie - Forward - British born, captain, came through US College system. Very Tall.  Read his back story https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/34666043

Raphell Thomas-Edwards - British, signed from lower division in the summer.  Strong as an ox.  Tall

Fred Thomas - US import, and effin’ brilliant.  Mr Highlight Reel!!!  2nd season here.  Arms like Mr Tickle.  Tall

Gentrey Thomas - Canadian import.  Showman, incredibly quick, but a fighter. Short

Lewis Champion - Brit signed from lower division 18 months ago.  Controls the build-up. Short

Bench:

Marcus Delpeche (Delpeche Mode / Del-Dunk).  Jamaican, but British passport, signed from German lower leagues 2 seasons ago.  Likes a slam dunk.  Very Tall

Levi Bradley - US import straight outta college.  Left handed, and smoothest shot in the team.  Tall 

Chris Taylor - Brit, who studied in US.  The team-man, fills the minutes whilst others rest, but gives great defence. Tall

Jordan Nicholls - Brit, through college and lower leagues. Improving. Short

Panos Mayindombe - Greek / Congolese.  Duracell bunny, just coming back from injury.  Brings energy to the press. Short

Josh Rogers - Brit, former Flyers youth who returned this summer.  Tall

Marvin Dinall - Brit / local - Academy lad who’s been shown the pathway into the first team

Coach:

Andreas Kapoulas - been around Bristol for 15 years, through University System, and the rise to the BBL. Wears heart on sleeve.

Wolves:

If Flyers are about the 3 Thomas’s, Wolves are about the Williams.

Jordan Williams - our nemesis.  Power forward with good feet and hands.  If we don’t get him into foul trouble to restrict his minutes he may be the difference.

Amir Williams - 7 footer, useful around the hoop

Kofi Josephs - GB Olympian.  Dangerous shooter, but got some attitude.

Cortez Edwards - skilful guard, can score points quickly.

Mark Hughes - guard, hot and cold

Raheem May-Thompson - good player who can shoot from deep as well as inside.

Maarten Bouwknecht - guard, who is getting better as he adjusts to BBL.

Julius Van Sauers - don’t know much about him

We’ve played Wolves 4 times this season, 1 friendly, lost with last shot of the game, 2 cup, lost two really close ones in group stages, 1 League, won by 10+

If Gentrey Thomas and Fred Thomas get hot, Flyers stand a good chance of winning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Gentrey Thomas - Canadian import.  Showman, incredibly quick, but a fighter. Short

Lewis Champion - Brit signed from lower division 18 months ago.  Controls the build-up. Short

Jordan Nicholls - Brit, through college and lower leagues. Improving. Short

Panos Mayindombe - Greek / Congolese.  Duracell bunny, just coming back from injury.  Brings energy to the press. Short

I was intruigued by your description of these players as 'short' so I looked them up.

Guess it's all relative... :laugh:

Gentrey Thomas - 6ft 4in
Lewis Champion - 6ft
Jordan Nicholls - 6ft 1in
Panos Mayindombe - 6ft 2in

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If Gentrey Thomas and Fred Thomas get hot, Flyers stand a good chance of winning.

What's the prediction. Also, I had a read around the competition - would it be fair to compare the BBL Cup to the League Cup in Football? Seems like there is another, older, knock out competition called the BBL Trophy that I presume is more prestigious?

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

I was intruigued by your description of these players as 'short' so I looked them up.

Gentrey Thomas - 6ft 4in
Lewis Champion - 6ft

Definitely relative.

I’m 6’1” (shrunk from my 6’2” playing days).  This was their tallest player last season....6’9 3/4”....my daughter stood on chair.  Joe is wearing his match-won west....it’s like a full-length dress!!!

8F1C369B-CAFB-4528-8673-752F6AD63C96.thumb.jpeg.baad89a53cad87aa0af5158b5bdabd72.jpeg

40 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

What's the prediction. Also, I had a read around the competition - would it be fair to compare the BBL Cup to the League Cup in Football? Seems like there is another, older, knock out competition called the BBL Trophy that I presume is more prestigious?

Heart over head 86-79 to Flyers.

Yes, BBL Cup like league Cup.  Flyers are in semi’s of BBL Trophy (FACup)

Here’s a few tweets to show how athletic they are.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Definitely relative.

I’m 6’1” (shrunk from my 6’2” playing days).  This was their tallest player last season....6’9 3/4”....my daughter stood on chair.  Joe is wearing his match-won west....it’s like a full-length dress!!!

8F1C369B-CAFB-4528-8673-752F6AD63C96.thumb.jpeg.baad89a53cad87aa0af5158b5bdabd72.jpeg

Heart over head 86-79 to Flyers.

Yes, BBL Cup like league Cup.  Flyers are in semi’s of BBL Trophy (FACup)

Here’s a few tweets to show how athletic they are.

Cheers. As a bloke who's as tall as these lads I'm always impressed at how they move so quickly. They must all be 15 stone or more.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@TBW is the Basketball Guru, but here’s a “what can we expect” ???

Not sure "guru" is the word but I'll drop a little bit into the mix!

Bristol Flyers and Worcester Wolves are both very capable of beating one another, neither team is streaks ahead of the other and have played each other multiple times already this season. Previous results are:

- Bristol Flyers 94 Worcester Wolves 96
- Worcester Wolves 74 Bristol Flyers 70
- Bristol Flyers 81 Worcester Wolves 66

The three main players to look out for on each team are:

- BRI - Gentrey Thomas (#0)
- BRI - Fred Thomas (#3)
- BRI - Raphell Thomas-Edwards (#10)
- WOR - Amir Williams (#1)
- WOR - Jordan Williams (#6)
- WOR - Cortez Edwards (#10)

(Yes you saw the name Thomas 3 times, Edwards 2 times and Williams 2 times. It's be nice to have a Thomas Williams-Edwards in the game too but alas, there is not.)

Likely non-factors in the game will be:

- BRI - Marvin Dinnall, Jordan Nicholls, Panos Mayindombe.
- WOR - Julius van Sauers, Wayne Kitenge.

The game could ultimately be won/lost between the teams "bigs", I know the majority of you find all of them big as they're mostly over 6'0", but the biggest guys on the court. Amir Williams (WOR) can be particularly dominant under the basket and against Leicester Riders, Marcus Delpeche (BRI) had trouble against a dominant player of similar mould. Daniel Edozie (BRI) though was missing for that Leicester game so Delpeche had to play significant time against the guy. If Delpeche can fix what he struggled with against Leicester on the defensive end then that's one problem down. Amir Williams will score, just try to limit that scoring.

Worcester aren't a deep team. They don't have a LOT of players and as such their team will play a lot of time without rest. This needs to be taken advantage of. Especially when Martaan Bouwknecht (WOR) is on the court as when he has a bad day, he has a really bad day... He recently put up a 29-point game but that is a complete one-off. The guy isn't good for 20+ per game regularly. Hound this guy for the ball and he'll make mistakes.

Otherwise, Jordan Williams (WOR) is quietly very good, he'll get lots of stats to his name without you realising and then suddenly you just go "oh shit, he's having a good game!" and it's too late. Cortez Edwards (WOR) is a bit like Gentrey Thomas (BRI). He'll drive, he'll shoot. He'll do what he wants.

Edited by TBW
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Gentrey Thomas - 6ft 4in
Lewis Champion - 6ft

All four of them are lying, I'm 6'4" and taller than all of them ?