IGNORED

All things Bristol Flyers

FlintSaidNo

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Like the idea, but will probably wait for the redevelopment to proceed before I get involved!

If you change your mind, let me know. I have a spare ticket going for people who want to test it out and see what it's all about.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TBW said:

Not sure "guru" is the word but I'll drop a little bit into the mix!

Bristol Flyers and Worcester Wolves are both very capable of beating one another, neither team is streaks ahead of the other and have played each other multiple times already this season. Previous results are:

- Bristol Flyers 94 Worcester Wolves 96
- Worcester Wolves 74 Bristol Flyers 70
- Bristol Flyers 81 Worcester Wolves 66

The three main players to look out for on each team are:

- BRI - Gentrey Thomas (#0)
- BRI - Fred Thomas (#3)
- BRI - Raphell Thomas-Edwards (#10)
- WOR - Amir Williams (#1)
- WOR - Jordan Williams (#6)
- WOR - Cortez Edwards (#10)

(Yes you saw the name Thomas 3 times, Edwards 2 times and Williams 2 times. It's be nice to have a Thomas Williams-Edwards in the game too but alas, there is not.)

Likely non-factors in the game will be:

- BRI - Marvin Dinnall, Jordan Nicholls, Panos Mayindombe.
- WOR - Julius van Sauers, Wayne Kitenge.

The game could ultimately be won/lost between the teams "bigs", I know the majority of you find all of them big as they're mostly over 6'0", but the biggest guys on the court. Amir Williams (WOR) can be particularly dominant under the basket and against Leicester Riders, Marcus Delpeche (BRI) had trouble against a dominant player of similar mould. Daniel Edozie (BRI) though was missing for that Leicester game so Delpeche had to play significant time against the guy. If Delpeche can fix what he struggled with against Leicester on the defensive end then that's one problem down. Amir Williams will score, just try to limit that scoring.

Worcester aren't a deep team. They don't have a LOT of players and as such their team will play a lot of time without rest. This needs to be taken advantage of. Especially when Martaan Bouwknecht (WOR) is on the court as when he has a bad day, he has a really bad day... He recently put up a 29-point game but that is a complete one-off. The guy isn't good for 20+ per game regularly. Hound this guy for the ball and he'll make mistakes.

Otherwise, Jordan Williams (WOR) is quietly very good, he'll get lots of stats to his name without you realising and then suddenly you just go "oh shit, he's having a good game!" and it's too late. Cortez Edwards (WOR) is a bit like Gentrey Thomas (BRI). He'll drive, he'll shoot. He'll do what he wants.

You'll have to do a matchday thread for it!

1 hour ago, Desso said:

Even though we lost, I really enjoyed it. Fair result, they were a bit better than us.

Maybe their experience of being in finals before helped them as they certainly settled better. We were always behind and although we clawed the game back to touching distance a few times we never got ahead, that has to affect you mentally. Good game though and players and fans should be proud.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Out of interest @Davefevs and purely hypothetical...

but if we did turn over Shrewsbury and would right now be playing Liverpool at home...

Where would you be?

Yes, Birmingham for Flyers.  First final, and that took preference.

34 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

It was a poor game from the Flyers to be fair. Not a great showcase for the sport. 

Guarantee more fun watching them in a league game (and definately more fun watching the Flyers than watching one of the London NBA games which was awful. (What a waste of money that was).

It was, both defences on top, and our two best players never got going.  We kept Jordan Williams to 5 points, and if you asked me pre-game, I would’ve said had we done that we would win easily.  However the other Williams (Amir) had an fantastic game at both ends and was rightly MVP.

We showed good fight and took the game all the way, but I don’t think we ever looked like winning.

Good day out though.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, Birmingham for Flyers.  First final, and that took preference.

It was, both defences on top, and our two best players never got going.  We kept Jordan Williams to 5 points, and if you asked me pre-game, I would’ve said had we done that we would win easily.  However the other Williams (Amir) had an fantastic game at both ends and was rightly MVP.

We showed good fight and took the game all the way, but I don’t think we ever looked like winning.

Good day out though.

Our shooting game was way off today - especially from the 3 and when you don't make your shots you're always going to struggle.  The best part of our game was fighting back to almost tie it a few times but we were always second best.

Even worse news today that over shadows the whole event is the tragic news about Kobe Bryant. R.I.P.

• Like 1

• Admin

The British Basketball League has signed a two-year deal with Sky Sports to air 30 live BBL games a season.

As part of the agreement, Sky Sports will also air the BBL Trophy Final, BBL Cup Final, BBL Play-offs and LIVE coverage of the Women’s BBL Play-off final. 

Sky Sports will broadcast a double header, live from the Eagles Community Arena on December 3rd to kick-start the coverage. Sheffield Sharks will tip-off against Cheshire Phoenix in the opening game of the league season, before Newcastle Eagles host London Lions, live on Sky Sports Arena and Sky Sports Main Event from 4.30pm.

Sky Sports coverage will include expert analysis from Kieron Achara MBE, who was part of the London 2012 Olympic squad, and current Newcastle Eagles star Drew Lasker.

BBL Chairman Sir Rodney Walker said: “It is fantastic to be teaming up again with Sky Sports to bring the excitement and action of the BBL to basketball fans at home. We are going to see some excellent games this season as there are incredible British and international players at all 11 clubs. We look forward to working with Sky Sports and the producers Buzz16 to showcase the best of British basketball over the next two years.”

Sky Sports Managing Director Rob Webster said: “We are delighted to welcome the BBL back to Sky Sports. We look forward to showcasing the best of basketball from across the country in what promises to be a busy but exciting period on the horizon. We at Sky Sports are thrilled to be able to support the sport.

“With continued coverage of the NBA and WNBA, the addition of the BBL makes Sky Sports the home of basketball. We can’t wait for the action to get underway on December 3rd from the Eagles Community Arena”

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bristolflyers.co.uk/news/british-basketball-league-returns-to-sky-sports/

• Admin

Bristol Flyers’ meeting with Plymouth Raiders on Wednesday, November 18th will be streamed LIVE on the official YouTube channel of the Plymouth Raiders.

Flyers face a must-win games to keep their hopes of BBL Cup progression alive, and fans can tune into the behind-closed-doors clash for FREE from 7.30pm GMT.

Click on the link below to tune in LIVE and FREE from 7.30pm.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5oIjUpv9q90?autoplay=1&rel=0

WATCH LIVE