IGNORED

Matty Taylor - option to recall?

DownendRed97

2 hours ago, swanker said:

It wouldn’t give me a lift. Why would anyone get excited about Taylor, he’s a striker that hardly ever scored goals at championship level. Matter of fact I think it would be a total lack of ambition or desperation to bring him back. 

I thought that was one of our pillars? 

If we don't bring in 2 strikers then I'd bring him back for sure.

Always said it, he's a decent championship striker. Certainly not the best, but he's a tricky little striker to deal with.

An excellent sub to come on too.

Interesting that for Oxford he's mainly been played on his own in a 433. Something we never saw for us.

I guess the only time we ever saw him in a lone striker role was at the end of games when helping to see the game out. And that was often when he was at his best.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Look, I’m not saying Taylor is the answer but surely a body giving us an option from the bench is better than nothing for the short term?

Why are we in this position where we the supporters are thinking of quick reactive fixes. Bringing Matty back is not the solution bringing in a replacement for LJ maybe the long term answer ?

1 minute ago, City oz said:

Why are we in this position where we the supporters are thinking of quick reactive fixes. Bringing Matty back is not the solution bringing in a replacement for LJ maybe the long term answer ?

Possibly because the summer gives us the best chance of strategically making the right decision.  That decision could be to bring in Benik permanently?  

9 hours ago, 054123 said:

Marty Taylor is not Dwight Gayle in his pomp and able to fire a championship club to promotion, agreed.

However I really am struggling to understand this narrative that has slowly developed that he wasn’t very good. 

Looking back I’m struggling to think of any performances where he came on and was poor (I’m sure some will tell me) in the main I remember him as a decent squad striker who more often than not had a positive impact and chipped in with a couple of goals.

Afobe, Reid and Fam (in his own way) are better, after that........

His stats probably aren’t good enough.

Taylor is probably a bit of a marmite player. For me he comes on and looks busy, works hard but when you look beyond the running around he simply isn’t that good IMHO.

8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

That’s the key issue. At present the only central forward on the bench is Semenyo, who everyone knows is not going to get on the pitch unless it’s the 89th minute. An option (Taylor) is better than no option 

This. If we bring in 0 or 1 striker then we need to bring Matty back simply for his impact off of the bench. I can almost guarantee in the remaining games he would get a late winner/equaliser and that could make the difference. Him coming off of the bench also gives the crowd a lift and the effect of that cant be underestimated. 

55 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

Taylor is probably a bit of a marmite player. For me he comes on and looks busy, works hard but when you look beyond the running around he simply isn’t that good IMHO.

I get that Rich.  He’s an “enabler”, not quite good enough but makes others play better (not always but often).

1 hour ago, Rich_s said:

Yes, limited in areas.

His running has always caused problems though and again, we’ve never had an alternative.

1 hour ago, redsapper said:

Would he be the same if we bring him back and he wants to stay at Oxford?

I'm sure Matty is professional enough to understand that his parent club may need him for a few months. Whilst hes at Oxford it's likely we are paying a percentage of his wages. 

Hes had a chance to go away, get himself match fit, play games and score goals, he is ready to be thrown in. In the summer when his contract expires he is free to go his own way, I dont think a few months here is going to majorly piss him off. 

Archived