IGNORED

Matty Taylor - option to recall?

DownendRed97

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere else, but I wonder if we don’t manage to secure a striker whether there’s a chance of getting Matty back for the remainder of the season? Not sure how much notice we’d have to give Oxford or whether it had to be agreed prior to the window opening?

Currently operating with 3 strikers - one of which being Semenyo (who I think Johnson assumed would be a lot more useful this season than he has been when deciding to let Taylor go out on loan) is ridiculous for a team pushing for the top 6. Even if Afobe is closer than we think to coming back, it only takes 1 injury for us to be in serious trouble up front (if we aren’t already). 

Would also give the crowd a bit of a lift with Taylor coming off the bench. 

Ideally we get a striker in and Matty can continue banging them in for Oxford, but I personally would like to see him back here, certainly no downgrade on Rodri!

Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, DownendRed97 said:

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere else, but I wonder if we don’t manage to secure a striker whether there’s a chance of getting Matty back for the remainder of the season? Not sure how much notice we’d have to give Oxford or whether it had to be agreed prior to the window opening?

Currently operating with 3 strikers - one of which being Semenyo (who I think Johnson assumed would be a lot more useful this season than he has been when deciding to let Taylor go out on loan) is ridiculous for a team pushing for the top 6. Even if Afobe is closer than we think to coming back, it only takes 1 injury for us to be in serious trouble up front (if we aren’t already). 

Ideally we get a striker in and Matty can continue banging them in for Oxford, but I personally would like to see him back here, certainly no downgrade on Rodri!

Thoughts?

It has been discussed, LJ stated MT will not be coming back to us, not benificial to either party, us or Oxford Utd, 

26 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Chances are that we won’t see Taylor back here, out of contract in the summer & possible that Oxford would be looking to make the deal permanent as he’s done alright for them.

That was before he found out Eddie wasn’t coming, and all other avenues might be dead-ends ?

I fully expected this to be announced as a permie deal this window, but the fact that it hasn’t leads me to think City are covering their bases in case we don’t get what we want.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him back. It won’t happen. 

im beginning to think differently about the January. With the club’s policy of loaning so many players why don’t we forget seeing Jan this year as a time to sign players but to recall those doing well and see whether they sink or swim in the championship?

The way I see it we’re at best 50/50 for the play offs... and almost certainly not premier league ready. 

we could find our over the second half of this year wherever the likes of Morrell, Walsh, Smith, Holden, Pring are any good at this level.  they’re all of an age where there should now be good indicators of whether they’ve “got it”. 

would also be more interesting for us fans than seeing the next desperate Diony fail to make an impact. 

3 hours ago, Taz said:

He's also not good enough for this level.

People moan about AW running around like a headless chicken, but at least he gets goals!

I like Taylor, but he really isn't the answer. 

If he was afforded 40 odd starts throughout the season, Taylor would probably do similarly well. 

5 hours ago, Big C said:

Not sure what Rodri has to do with the Taylor situation

We got so desperate that we had to bring Rodri in, Rodri has now departed, if we fail to get anyone in then we either look for another signing like Rodri, or recall Taylor. We let Taylor go believing we were ok for strikers, Afobe then got injured hence why the need to bring Rodri in. If we could have recalled Taylor there and then instead of bringing Rodri in then we would have without a doubt. 

6 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

If he was afforded 40 odd starts throughout the season, Taylor would probably do similarly well. 

I agree. Taylor has often looked better coming on as a sub than a starter, but I think that was mainly due to him not playing regularly, so a bit chicken and egg. He has a spell where he wasn’t fit, then he was injured and had an op and then not match fit so I really don’t think we saw the real MT very often. And now it seems he is fit and scoring and playing games ( or he was ) and yet again we have got a player to that position and another team is benefitting.

I think Swindon for example have had both their players they’ve had on loan recalled by their parent clubs after scoring well,  we’ve taken a punt on worse players than Taylor before, why not? 

51 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

FFS! I like Taylor’s running and energy but his first touch is amongst the worst I’ve seen at AG for years. He’s never once looked like being championship standard. It’s not as if he’s nineteen and might come good. 

You obviously haven’t seen some of the players I have down at the Gate

20 hours ago, DownendRed97 said:

Thoughts?

It wouldn’t give me a lift. Why would anyone get excited about Taylor, he’s a striker that hardly ever scored goals at championship level. Matter of fact I think it would be a total lack of ambition or desperation to bring him back. 

21 hours ago, DownendRed97 said:

Thoughts?

Well he did score over 60 goals when he played for the gas which we all know was in lower leagues. For City I think its about 7 or 8. Keep him at oxford where he is obviously enjoying his football and it shows what his level is really at and its not Championship football. Going backwards I think if we recall him unless Fammy gets a serious knock and is side lined for a month or so. We are pushing for a top six and talk about bringing back Marty is not going to assist the cause. Let him stay at Oxford where he is knocking in goals.

Marty Taylor is not Dwight Gayle in his pomp and able to fire a championship club to promotion, agreed.

However I really am struggling to understand this narrative that has slowly developed that he wasn’t very good. 

Looking back I’m struggling to think of any performances where he came on and was poor (I’m sure some will tell me) in the main I remember him as a decent squad striker who more often than not had a positive impact and chipped in with a couple of goals.

Afobe, Reid and Fam (in his own way) are better, after that........

His stats probably aren’t good enough.

I think he’s a decent player off the bench who, through his sharpness and running, can drag you onto the front foot if things are Flat. We’ve actually really lacked that option at times this season, to be fair.

It needs to be up to him, though, really. A Matty Taylor that doesn’t want to be here is pointless.

That said, knowing he’s out of contract in the summer he’d be daft to not want to give the Championship a final crack for a few months.

21 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

I think he would be very useful for us. He plays with urgency, and we have been pedestrian for much of our bad run. He makes runs. He doesn't hide from having the ball. 

He might not be a particularly great player at this level but he's a good asset to have. 

We need to look higher than this as bringing Matty back is not the answer. OK he’s a good player and an excellent player in the lower leagues of which he is a valuable asset. Matty is not the answer for the recent bad form by bringing him back from Oxford where he is getting constant play and enjoying himself. The answer is more along the lines of if we do not sign another forward in the next few days then lets look and celebrate to when Afobe gets back as I hear it is not too far away.

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

Look, I’m not saying Taylor is the answer but surely a body giving us an option from the bench is better than nothing for the short term?

That’s the key issue. At present the only central forward on the bench is Semenyo, who everyone knows is not going to get on the pitch unless it’s the 89th minute. An option (Taylor) is better than no option 

Archived