Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

bcfc01

Filip Benkovic- Confirmed Loan Signing

Recommended Posts

Not seen him play but sounds very good.

Don't have a clue who would play at the back. Would have to play Kalas surely and this guy isn't coming here to sit on the bench.

Baker and Williams doing so well. Surely it would signal 3 centre backs start so only one dropped.

And Ampadu would likely be centre mid alongside Korey.

So far it seems very promising this window. But would not be surprised to sell more than just Brownhill. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not seen him play but sounds very good.

Don't have a clue who would play at the back. Would have to play Kalas surely and this guy isn't coming here to sit on the bench.

Baker and Williams doing so well. Surely it would signal 3 centre backs start so only one dropped.

And Ampadu would likely be centre mid alongside Korey.

So far it seems very promising this window. But would not be surprised to sell more than just Brownhill. 

 

Two loans in Benkovic & Ampadu means we won’t have to sell anyone else as we have a £6m upside from JBs sale. I think LJ will want Semenyo out on loan though and maybe Moore but has to still put one home grown player on the bench 

if it was me I would bring Morrell back from his loan as a ready made option who strengthens the squad but probably reduces his game time for the rest of the season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Two loans in Benkovic & Ampadu means we won’t have to sell anyone else as we have a £6m upside from JBs sale. I think LJ will want Semenyo out on loan though and maybe Moore but has to still put one home grown player on the bench 

if it was me I would bring Morrell back from his loan as a ready made option who strengthens the squad but probably reduces his game time for the rest of the season 

Problem is with bringing Morrell back is we have Korey, Nagy, Massengo and if we get Ampadu, then I imagine one of those won't play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can actually see some sense to this, bring this guy in and let Moore out on loan til the end of the season to a lower Championship club to get that little bit of extra experience. LJ recently said he felt Walsh needed 40 odd games in a season to bring him up to standard, maybe he thinks the same about Moore? Although Moore is much more Championship ready than Walsh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Problem is with bringing Morrell back is we have Korey, Nagy, Massengo and if we get Ampadu, then I imagine one of those won't play.

I have a horrible feeling Nagy is struggling with his ankle and LJ sees this as a bit of a risk, Kalas is not 100% and maybe a month away from being fit to play so leaves us a bit exposed in midfield and CB especially if Moore goes out on loan as is being suggested

having two quality players come in strengthens the spine of the team somewhat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Pete O'Rourke now mentioning this on Twitter, saying we're ahead of Derby, Boro and Celtic for his capture.

 

To say we're ahead in the race with clubs that you could argue are a fair bit bigger than us for a much wanted player is very promising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Rodgers made very clear again tonight that if Leicester sign a centre back he will go out on loan, if they don't he won't. 

He’s coming here if he goes out on loan, it’s already agreed by all accounts (so my mate tells me)

but it all depends on Leicester getting their target,

if they do we get this chap and Moore leaves on loan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Vestergaard - Southampton 

Which is apparently unlikely as Southampton don’t want to lose him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

Well, if we get him in we can’t complain about our centre halves now surely?

Why have people been complaining about them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

I'm going to be a spoilt child and say that I'm a bit gutted if this means no Ampadu. 

Surely we need a CM?

I agree, someone who likes a tackle in midfield? Though if ampadu and massengo both started together thats an extremely young midfield!

taylor moore hasnt done much wrong, why would we loan him out to get someone else in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

I'm going to be a spoilt child and say that I'm a bit gutted if this means no Ampadu. 

Surely we need a CM?

I don’t think this signing has anything to do with Ampadu coming or not, both will come if their parent clubs can facilitate it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I agree, someone who likes a tackle in midfield? Though if ampadu and massengo both started together thats an extremely young midfield!

taylor moore hasnt done much wrong, why would we loan him out to get someone else in?

Very young but I kind of like the idea of Ampadu and Massengo running the show 🧐

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In a 3 hopefully...

Tackling- is it so big these days, is it so essential for midfielders @Simon bristol ?

Maybe not the actual tackling bit, but someone big and aggressive in midfield to add a bit of steel. 
 

its a shame we didnt go for norwood when sheffield united did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Maybe not the actual tackling bit, but someone big and aggressive in midfield to add a bit of steel. 
 

its a shame we didnt go for norwood when sheffield united did.

Again, I'm on the fence about that aspect- I see both sides of that argument but I wonder about the height/aggression link...worth checking out the average heights of a few Championship sides near the top, not many 6 footers in evidence.

Aggression can be intense pressing- or a form of aggression at least.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Again, I'm on the fence about that aspect- I see both sides of that argument but I wonder about the height/aggression link...worth checking out the average heights of a few Championship sides near the top, not many 6 footers in evidence.

Aggression can be intense pressing- or a form of aggression at least.

Depends on the opposition, you play leeds away and thats not necessarily a game for kasey palmer...

Agreed re pressing, since reid left though our ability to press has reduced 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Maybe not the actual tackling bit, but someone big and aggressive in midfield to add a bit of steel. 
 

its a shame we didnt go for norwood when sheffield united did.

We had this discussion on the Eddie thread. Some of the best defensive midfielders in the world are not big and actually not that aggresive. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

We had this discussion on the Eddie thread. Some of the best defensive midfielders in the world are not big and actually not that aggresive. 

Different schools of thought i suppose. Kante is small but arguably very aggressive in the way he plays. Busquets is bigger. Someone like casimero is aggressive and a big guy, fernandinho at man city does the tackling to allow the ball players to do their thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

I'm going to be a spoilt child and say that I'm a bit gutted if this means no Ampadu. 

Surely we need a CM?

Why would signing a CH mean no Ampadu @HayBCFC? Am I missing something? Not a pedantic question BTW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Why have people been complaining about them?

Amount of goals we have conceded, way they have been conceded. Might not be cb fault but we had one of the worse defences in league. Now we’ve kept 3 clean sheets in a row in the league, maybe we have worked out why we were conceding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Why would signing a CH mean no Ampadu @HayBCFC? Am I missing something? Not a pedantic question BTW.

Ampadu can play both defensive midfield and at centre half, which makes me wonder if the interest was in him filling Moore's position.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rocky said:

 

That sounds like Leicester definitely have someone close to signing.

Whats this guy like on the ball? A back 3 of him Kalas/Williams/Baker would be formidable at this level. 

Edited by The hand of RO'D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

That sounds like Leicester definitely have someone close to signing.

Whats this guy like on the ball? A back 3 of him Kalas/Williams/Baker would be formidable at this level. 

They paid 13 million for him that’s all I know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

Ampadu can play both defensive midfield and at centre half, which makes me wonder if the interest was in him filling Moore's position.

Fair comment. I think of Ampadu as a DM who can drop into the defensive line but that's just my impression. I would hope he's coming (if he does) in that role rather than a CH but stand to be corrected. We could do with a 'Kante' type just in front of the defence, especially with the attack minded players we currently have at our disposal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benkovic has the potential to be very good.

Strong, quick, threat from set pieces and a decent ball player. Had a few injuries which is always a concern, but I'd be really happy if City signed him today (and he managed to get a run of games and build some consistency).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He made his Croatian international debut last year, only 22, Celtic fans love him.

I wonder if Ash Williams will be allowed to go, if he wants to/has better offers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Amount of goals we have conceded, way they have been conceded. Might not be cb fault but we had one of the worse defences in league. Now we’ve kept 3 clean sheets in a row in the league, maybe we have worked out why we were conceding.

Shape of team was the reason imo. Now a more solid looking 4141.

Could be that we concede more now if we change systems again.

Maybe important to bring in this Leicester guy to change that style and still keep clean sheets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw that, that could mean this guy comes here Moore going to Aberdeen and us needing a defensive midfielder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...