IGNORED

Sports Minister re Football and Gambling

exAtyeoMax

Sadly it is the sign of the times. Gambling linked to sponsorship is now nearly in all facets of sport in one way or another. If it is implemented ethically there is no problem however promoting betting companies and organisations on shirts from my point of view is not correct. 

Our kids and grand children will soon want the latest kit with the latest betting companies logo and not the traditional sponsors of football clubs. This will have an impact on clubs in the lower leagues where they still have born and bred local companies and businesses that support their local clubs.

Maybe it should be banned as a logo like cigarette manufacturers were many years ago. 

12 minutes ago, City oz said:

Sadly it is the sign of the times. Gambling linked to sponsorship is now nearly in all facets of sport in one way or another. If it is implemented ethically there is no problem however promoting betting companies and organisations on shirts from my point of view is not correct. 

Our kids and grand children will soon want the latest kit with the latest betting companies logo and not the traditional sponsors of football clubs. This will have an impact on clubs in the lower leagues where they still have born and bred local companies and businesses that support their local clubs.

Maybe it should be banned as a logo like cigarette manufacturers were many years ago. 

I can’t imagine anyone wanting DUNDER on their shirt! Just as bad as Wonga or any other stupid name to do with loans or whatever ?

7 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I can’t imagine anyone wanting DUNDER on their shirt! Just as bad as Wonga or any other stupid name to do with loans or whatever ?

There are some weird loan companies from what i remember. Amigo, Argos and bamboo. Makes you wonder which club would want a sombrero or a fridge or a logo of some bbq tools made of bamboo 

20 minutes ago, City oz said:

There are some weird loan companies from what i remember. Amigo, Argos and bamboo. Makes you wonder which club would want a sombrero or a fridge or a logo of some bbq tools made of bamboo 

Funny I’m going to Argos today to buy an air bed! Just been on their website. Can’t imagine being sponsored by Argos. ?

shirt no 9 to your collection point...

Sonny Bill Williams (Rugby League Legend) has got permission to not have to wear the league’s BetFred logo on the front of his kits due to his religion, he converted to Islam in 2009.

And BetFred are being praised for allowing this to happen, like they really had any choice in the situation. If they hadn’t agreed to this, SBW would of probably walked away from the league.

At the risk of sounding a kill-joy, I would happily see the end of gambling on soccer.  People should realise that the bookies are making a fortune from the punters.  For example, the CEO of Bet365 scrapes by on a salary of one million pounds per day!

The Muppet needs to stop pointing the finger and pull his own out to promote participation in sport. From selling off infrastructure to absolutely decimating local youth sporting opportunities where I live and all for the short term vanity of hosting The Olympics ( legacy my a**e,) what has his department done for sport other than restrict organisations from exploiting their value by insistance the BBC should retain rights to broadcast events (badly) 'in the public interest'?

For the wokes to suggest shirts might only be 'ethically sponsored', well that's a very limited market restricted to those without a pot to **** in. I once did some work with Bristol based Triodos Bank and the issue they constantly encountered was dig deep enough and even those who purport the most ethically sound credentials pollute, extort or exploit somewhere - it's how capitalism works. Look at the FA's own 'commercial partners'- there isn't one that hasn't been associated with child exploitation, obesity, excess sugar consumption and dental decimation, environmental pollution (recall carbon output from cloud computing alone is now twice that of the airline industry,) the huge political and environmental genocide brought by our clamour for those rare elements and minerals without which technology wouldn't function, racial discrimination and support of rogue political regimes, alcohol dependency, violence and cirrhotic livers, I could continue ....

For those so easily offended there is an easy,  immediate solution - ban replica kit and advertising on shirts. Neither existed when I was a kid and it would save us the sight of FKWs embarrassing themselves. Why not go the whole hog, ban sponsorship throughout sport and let it fend for itself?

Muppet.

It’s definitely a debate worth having but once again, football becomes the focal point. The government failed to legislate properly on machines in betting shops and as for horse racing, an entire sport based upon betting. Without gambling it would just be one horse running faster than others. But then again, the elite are heavily involved. 

21 minutes ago, edada said:

The government failed to legislate properly on machines in betting shops

Here's how utterly stupid DCMS & DBEIS, their ministers and staffs are. Imagine the minister responsible meeting in consultation with the betting industry and not understanding how The Levy operates;  just like an episode of the Thick of It. As required, the betting industry major players each produced impact assessments to show what WOULD happen against the Government's various proposals but virtue signalling to public opinion the Government proceeded anyway. Again, as required, when each company then issued DBEIS their notifications for mass closures and redundancies, differentially hitting female, part-time workers in their tens of thousands, killing high street footfall, in some deprived areas the last remnants of local commerce and commercial property portfolios nationwide, the Government declared it a crisis. "You can't do this," they said.

"We will, as we must, what did you think was keeping those shops open? Didn't you read the impact assessments?" Clearly the Government considered them idle threats and called it wrong. Like it or not Bet365 have  done more for job creation in the industrial wilderness that is Stoke than successive Governments have done these past decades. 

Of course the Government could have legislated to hit hard the illegal drug trade which helped fund the rise of FOBTs but in this lack of personal responsibility, deflected blame culture they chose to hide behind their cotton wool policing and justice regimes.

7 hours ago, edada said:

It’s definitely a debate worth having but once again, football becomes the focal point. The government failed to legislate properly on machines in betting shops and as for horse racing, an entire sport based upon betting. Without gambling it would just be one horse running faster than others. But then again, the elite are heavily involved. 

And as for greyhound racing the sport wouldn`t even exist were it not for gambling.

F1 survived without tobacco sponsorship, football clubs will also survive without betting sponsorship. 

But it is a tricky one, unlike Tobacco gambling isnt always bad. I have a healthy relationship with gambling, never gambled more than I could afford and only ever do a couple of bets a year, mainly on the national. So for me advertising and offers can be beneficial as I can get the best offers for the little money I do spend. 

Whilst betting firms are involved in football, that gives football the chance to reform the betting industry, if you start banning it from sports then those reforms may not happen and the problem continues. Football shouldn't just wash its hands with the problem, they have the ability and standing to make a difference. 

Football has the ability to change and influence societies so imo it's best to keep them on board, allow them to advertise but only if they meet set conditions set by the football authorities. 

Can someone tell me what the difference between gambling companies and alcohol companies is? There has been this big issue recently about betting firms but why not alcohol firms? The FA themselves last year signed a multi year contract with Budweiser for the England teams and the FA Cup, why hasn't that recieved the same attention as the gambling firms broadcasting FA Cup games? 

We can also include airline sponsorship in this, Emirates and Etihad are heavily involved in football, in this day and age, with the publics focus on climate change then why are these firms being allowed to advertise to such a wide audience?

The FA cant just pick and choose what it wishes to be associated with, it's either all or none imo.

15 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Can someone tell me what the difference between gambling companies and alcohol companies is? There has been this big issue recently about betting firms but why not alcohol firms? The FA themselves last year signed a multi year contract with Budweiser for the England teams and the FA Cup, why hasn't that recieved the same attention as the gambling firms broadcasting FA Cup games? 

We can also include airline sponsorship in this, Emirates and Etihad are heavily involved in football, in this day and age, with the publics focus on climate change then why are these firms being allowed to advertise to such a wide audience?

The FA cant just pick and choose what it wishes to be associated with, it's either all or none imo.

I think the issue here is that although both are horrible addictions [ coming from an ex compulsive gambler myself] Gambling can be seen as a hidden addiction which people try and hide from friends and family and can lose thousands in a matter of hours. Alcoholics can normally be spotted by their friends and family who know they have a problem and would take them much longer to lose similar amounts of money that people do from gambling. Also its much harder for a child to buy alcohol than it is for them to sign up to an online betting account with fake details.

Also Gambling gives people that tiny chance of a reward for doing it which entices people into it, whereas most people know the effects of drinking alcohol are not positive. 

Archived