IGNORED

Eberechi Eze

The Coach

Somehow landed upon this article for those who me be interested below. Was anyone else aware we had Eze with us for a bit? Shame we were not able to unearth his talent. What a player he is now.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/qpr-eberechi-eze-interview-profile-championship-transfer-efl-a9276126.html%3famp

11 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Somehow landed upon this article for those who me be interested below. Was anyone else aware we had Eze with us for a bit? Shame we were not able to unearth his talent. What a player he is now.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/qpr-eberechi-eze-interview-profile-championship-transfer-efl-a9276126.html%3famp

Good find, and an interesting read.

Work rate cited as his undoing as a youngster, but seems to have his head wired correctly and has made the changes required.

Big things in the offing for the lad, I hope he progresses as he is doing. 

Full England player in the the not too distant future.

"After Fulham came four months at Reading, then a numbing spell at Millwall, where the Spartan aggression and route-one ideology left no space for a floating No 10 who craved the ball at his feet. Back then, the languid array of skills which have captivated the Championship this season were Eze’s hindrance. He was a raw and addictive talent to scouts but lacked polish and was quickly pigeonholed by academy coaches as a luxury player. After Millwall, the maze grew tighter as second and third chances ground to dead ends – first at Sunderland, then Bristol City and Swansea – with Eze’s work rate consistently cited as the sticking point."

Wonder what club Kasey Palmer will be at when they write this same article. 

Both Eze and Ejaria are two of the stand out players I've seen against us home and away in the last couple of seasons - brilliant to watch and move the ball at speed and with quality. Both at average mid-table sides and both players I'm quite sure we could have signed if we wanted to. Despite the annual meltdown over signings I'm not sure transfers are the problem it's knowing what to do with flair players and bludgeoning all natural instincts and quality out of footballers that is our real issue.

42 minutes ago, Olé said:

"After Fulham came four months at Reading, then a numbing spell at Millwall, where the Spartan aggression and route-one ideology left no space for a floating No 10 who craved the ball at his feet. Back then, the languid array of skills which have captivated the Championship this season were Eze’s hindrance. He was a raw and addictive talent to scouts but lacked polish and was quickly pigeonholed by academy coaches as a luxury player. After Millwall, the maze grew tighter as second and third chances ground to dead ends – first at Sunderland, then Bristol City and Swansea – with Eze’s work rate consistently cited as the sticking point."

Both Eze and Ejaria are two of the stand out players I've seen against us home and away in the last couple of seasons - brilliant to watch and move the ball at speed and with quality. Both at average mid-table sides and both players I'm quite sure we could have signed if we wanted to. Despite the annual meltdown over signings I'm not sure transfers are the problem it's knowing what to do with flair players and bludgeoning all natural instincts and quality out of footballers that is our real issue.

You’re correct. I’d be very wary of us signing any flair player and I imagine any flair player would be wary at the prospect.... trying to think of a recent one who’s been used successfully and I can only think ones who haven’t: Kent, Tomlin, Szmodics, Palmer. 

Eze is a great player, I hate to say it but for his sake I’m glad he’s not here.  

7 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

You’re correct. I’d be very wary of us signing any flair player and I imagine any flair player would be wary at the prospect.... trying to think of a recent one who’s been used successfully and I can only think ones who haven’t: Kent, Tomlin, Szmodics, Palmer. 

Eze is a great player, I hate to say it but for his sake I’m glad he’s not here.  

Nic Eliasson is as much, if not more, a flair player than at least two of the players you mention....

48 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Nic Eliasson is as much, if not more, a flair player than at least two of the players you mention....

Yeah, you’re not wrong. He’s a very conventional winger though. 
maybe the word I should have used was maverick or free... the examples are all “10s”, players with less defined roles. 

15 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Yeah, you’re not wrong. He’s a very conventional winger though. 
maybe the word I should have used was maverick or free... the examples are all “10s”, players with less defined roles. 

There is no space for mavericks anywhere any more. That’s why the 60s and 70s are viewed so nostalgically because there were lots of them at a high level (Bowles, Worthington, Currie) and the arguments were about them making the national team, rather than not playing for their clubs.

9 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

There is no space for mavericks anywhere any more. That’s why the 60s and 70s are viewed so nostalgically because there were lots of them at a high level (Bowles, Worthington, Currie) and the arguments were about them making the national team, rather than not playing for their clubs.

Yeah I agree (more’s the pity) which makes it all the more baffling that we keep signing them and finding they don’t fit into a modern team structure.... that was my point really. Someone should really challenge whoever has the final say on signings... “how will you use them, will they fit in?”.  I’d suggest that in recent years we’re 100% not successful at fully integrating this type of player - trundle, JET, Kent, tomlin, Szmodics, Palmer and if we go back far enough Jacki. Most have shown flashes but none truly successful (IMO).  

How many flair players have we failed to get playing well? Tomlin who looked about 5 stone overweight and it seemed was completely unmanageable at the time. And Palmer who was also rubbish at Blackburn, didn't do much at Derby.

Kent? Well he simply wasn't that good when we had him. Didn't really fit into our 442 either.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

I'm not sure transfers are the problem it's knowing what to do with flair players and bludgeoning all natural instincts and quality out of footballers that is our real issue.

This, this and this.

Of course, the argument used against players like this is always “work rate”. The same argument was used against JET.

The reality is that if players like this create chances and score goals that no one else can they can be that “marginal gain” that is all the vogue these days. Could any other of our players made the pass that Palmer did for Brownhill’s last minute winner against Charlton? In a word no, but that was definitely 2 points gained.

20 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Of course, the argument used against players like this is always “work rate”. The same argument was used against JET.

The reality is that if players like this create chances and score goals that no one else can they can be that “marginal gain” that is all the vogue these days. Could any other of our players made the pass that Palmer did for Brownhill’s last minute winner against Charlton? In a word no, but that was definitely 2 points gained.

Would anyone else let Aaron Pierre run off them and have a crack at goal? Be balanced here, we're watching TV tomorrow and are down around a million (allegedly) PARTLY because of Kasey Palmer's work rate.

There's no coincidence we went up with Agard and Wilbraham as our main strikers and not JET. Matt Smith started more games than JET did that season.

Also, if you built a team around a flair player like they say they do with Eze in the article... and you end up on 38 points... I can only imagine the nonsense on this forum.

4 hours ago, Olé said:

It's easier to develop players when you're an average mid table side.

It’s probably a bad thing but I didn’t think I needed to change [the type of player I was]. I probably should’ve tried to adapt, not play two different systems in one team, but I just wanted to get on the ball and enjoy myself.

That's more the reason people wouldn't pick him up. You're on trial, fight for your life and career. At least show the coaches you can follow instructions. That's basic. If and when he goes to the Prem, we'll see if he's only good in a team that's built around him. Or perhaps there'll be a different type of article written about him.

I think Kasey Palmer is smart in the way he uses social media in showing us that he's working hard to get better. But what we certainly do not have since Benik went down and the failings of the summer transfer window, is a team that can be built around Kasey Palmer. In OG Johnsonisms, we have so many different golf clubs in the bag, there was no room for the one wood when the driver broke, and now we correctly use irons off the tee. LJ's shown a willingness to accommodate flair players, but there's a balance, and it also needs to work. If we don't see Palmer if/when we see this shiny new striker, then I'll change my mind.

Archived