IGNORED

Tomorrow

steviestevieneville

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

OK , can’t win them all and fair play Shrewsbury .

just been watching BT sport and the shrews manager been on . Gutted we ain’t all getting up tomorrow ready to play the world champions . Haven’t thought about it until now . As they would say in Blackadder.

BUGGER ?

Not beating League One Shrewsbury over two matches, and hence missing out on a lucrative match against the mighty Liverpool was the biggest cock-up since...

To be honest, if anything, I’ve kind of felt relieved at not having to put up with patronising fake interest from people who don’t usually give a toss about who we are playing, or being asked about tickets by people who think that their wanting to attend is doing us some kind of favour..!

Yes I’d liked to have had a big glamour tie for all of us who “deserve” one - but really not that fussed. 
Maybe kidding myself, but that’s honestly how I feel about it. 

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

To be honest, if anything, I’ve kind of felt relieved at not having to put up with patronising fake interest from people who don’t usually give a toss about who we are playing, or being asked about tickets by people who think that their wanting to attend is doing us some kind of favour..!

Yes I’d liked to have had a big glamour tie for all of us who “deserve” one - but really not that fussed. 

I also don’t think it’ll be anything like the first XI playing tomorrow - similar line up to what they fielded against Everton I’d imagine. 

• Admin

Been there, done that, Liverpool at home, draw, Anfield, beat them, their Manager sacked.  

So for myself, no big deal, but I do feel for those who were too young to have experienced that night at Anfield, it was one of those you don’t forget too easily.  Have never had anytime for Liverpool, but a a visit there and seeing the kop in full YNWA mode does send a shiver down the spine - an iconic football moment.  ( Yes , I do appreciate that if we had got through it was a home tie, but that’s how ‘94 started).

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Been there, done that, Liverpool at home, draw, Anfield, beat them, their Manager sacked.  

So for myself, no big deal, but I do feel for those who were too young to have experienced that night at Anfield, it was one of those you don’t forget too easily.  Have never had anytime for Liverpool, but a a visit there and seeing the kop in full YNWA mode does send a shiver down the spine - an iconic football moment.

Souness' Livepool are not quite the same as Klopp's Liverpool, so i think it is a bit of a shame to miss out, but in the end you have to move on and it's better to have picked up those league points defo.

I was disappointed to lose to the Shrews, but I really think we have dodged a bullet here (other than financially).  The media circus would have been in full flow,  a full house would have turned up to see the mighty Liverpool fielding, well, probably a team with no players that anyone has have ever heard of..  Not that I would blame them, it worked against Everton.  I would take the 3 points from the Barnsley game that has now given us some momentum for a play off place, over a big FA Cup tie any day.

56 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

OK , can’t win them all and fair play Shrewsbury .

just been watching BT sport and the shrews manager been on . Gutted we ain’t all getting up tomorrow ready to play the world champions . Haven’t thought about it until now . As they would say in blackadder.

BUGGER ?

Its a absolute disgrace on many levels.

It'll be good when it's over. Hopefully, The Shrews will beat The Pool to prove what a mighty and totally underestimated League 1 side they are. 

Therefore, making our shocking performances over two games against them more bearable. 

Just maybe though, Liverpool will sail through and we'll just be missing a really big game and about 1.2 million in proceeds. 

11 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Best post I have seen on the whole subject!

12 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I was disappointed to lose to the Shrews, but I really think we have dodged a bullet here (other than financially).  The media circus would have been in full flow,  a full house would have turned up to see the mighty Liverpool fielding, well, probably a team with no players that anyone has have ever heard of..  Not that I would blame them, it worked against Everton.  I would take the 3 points from the Barnsley game that has now given us some momentum for a play off place, over a big FA Cup tie any day.

Fabinho, Lovren, Matip, Keita, Ryan Jones....would have been terrible to have to watch those nobody's, as well as Klopp at AG.

As for the media circus...get used to it if you want a part of the Premier League.

Personally I wont be watching the game as I will be gutted at us missing out...and also hopefully still laughing at Man U losing (please god) at Tranmere.

30 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'm guessing you don't ever want to reach the Prem then? You'd have that every week. 

As it happens I'm happy staying in the Championship. 

Earning the right to play these teams every week is totally different to any team benefiting from the complete luck of a glamorous cup tie draw. 

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

for me i think its a disgrace we are not playing liverpool. should have been good  enough to have beaten the shrews. the liverpool game would have been worth around a million pound. these games dont come around very often. so i am very disappointed. 

Football team loses football match. Ho hum. Disgrace?

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Earning the right to play these teams every week is totally different to any team benefiting from the complete luck of a glamorous cup tie draw. 

It is. But it won't deter the very people searching for one-off cup tickets doing the same when the top teams are in town. 

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

It is. But it won't deter the very people searching for one-off cup tickets doing the same when the top teams are in town. 

Yes, true. But their chances of getting a ticket will be slimmer, with most of the ground sold out to season tickets & Members snapping up the POTD tickets. 

I’d wager that it would be a few seasons before there’d be a general sale ticket available a Ashton Gate ?

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, true. But their chances of getting a ticket will be slimmer, with most of the ground sold out to season tickets & Members snapping up the POTD tickets. 

I’d wager that it would be a few seasons before there’d be a general sale ticket available a Ashton Gate ?

Agreed.

There'd be plenty of current POTD regulars who'd simply have to buy a season ticket, just in case. 

Would be like shopping for water in Tesco when when the water's been cut off. Panic buy!! 

3 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

Couple of comments above where it has been said that not playing Liverpool has cost us over a million pounds, how can that be so much on one game, anyone enlighten me??

I think people are probably over estimating it - but in brief...

£120k prize money. 
£100k TV coverage. 
27k gate receipts (40% of)

Extra merchandise sales and sponsorship for the game, plus hospitality.

Probably looking at nearer half a million in reality, although obviously not to be sniffed at.! 

13 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I was disappointed to lose to the Shrews, but I really think we have dodged a bullet here (other than financially).  

Correct. We might want to see the World Club Champions at AG, but would we want to see City beaten both easily and heavily on national TV?

Financially we missed out on £135,000 for not winning the third round tie. Now we have missed out on both gate & TV income from this fourth round tie.

Perhaps this could have added up to £500,000; enough for some wages if not a transfer fee?

Archived