IGNORED

The fa cup replays vs the premier league winter break

miketh2nd

Klopp has said he will let the reserve manager be in the dug out in the shrews replay if the replay is still during the new winter break and will not play the 1st team.....

Have the premier league made themselves too elite or should replays be scrapped to help the premier league?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51256760

Normally no issue with Liverpool, but find this disrespectful of the traditions of the FA Cup. Most of his first choice players got a rest yesterday anyway! They probably wouldn’t be playing a replay of a few more of them had played in the first place. 

1 hour ago, miketh2nd said:

Klopp has said he will let the reserve manager be in the dug out in the shrews replay if the replay is still during the new winter break and will not play the 1st team.....

Have the premier league made themselves too elite or should replays be scrapped to help the premier league?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51256760

I actually agree with klopp’s stance on this,

its pointless having a winter break if you have to play during said break, that also includes those lucrative games in the Middle East and America some teams were planning

2 minutes ago, !james said:

Fully agree that the players will be rested but there is no reason why Klopp shouldn't be managing the team. 

This is my issue. I liked Klopp before he made that decision. Resting players here and there isnt an issue imo. Like yesterday Liverpool put out a young team but it did have some big names in it. Nothing wrong at all with that, but for the manager to say hes not managing a first team game, that crosses the line imo, hes shitting all over the traditions of the FA Cup and its totally disrespectful to Shrewsbury in what for some of them could be the biggest game of their career. I'd be absolutely fuming if I was a Shrewsbury fan. Put it this way, if it was Manu Utd or Man City, he wouldnt be missing it.

He simply has a holiday booked that he doesn't want to miss for little old Shrewsbury. 

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

its pointless having a winter break if you have to play during said break, that also includes those lucrative games in the Middle East and America some teams were planning

Clubs moan about fixture congestion but then are more than happy to add X amount of fixtures to the schedule every year by playing lucrative pre season tournaments around the world in pre season.

I struggle to have any compassion for these over worked players. They are paid an absolute fortune to play games, if they are not happy to play that amount of games than how about giving their wages to a league one or two player that potentially plays over 60 games a season without making a fuss about fixture congestion. 

Mark Nobles comments at the weekend really annoyed me too. On one hand he said he was West Ham through and through and now the birthday party he sas attending that weekend would now be ruined, but on the other hand he was moaning that he had to be brought on at half time because West Ham needed him. Guess he isnt as West Ham through and though as he likes to make out! 

8 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Clubs moan about fixture congestion but then are more than happy to add X amount of fixtures to the schedule every year by playing lucrative pre season tournaments around the world in pre season.

I struggle to have any compassion for these over worked players. They are paid an absolute fortune to play games, if they are not happy to play that amount of games than how about giving their wages to a league one or two player that potentially plays over 60 games a season without making a fuss about fixture congestion. 

Mark Nobles comments at the weekend really annoyed me too. On one hand he said he was West Ham through and through and now the birthday party he sas attending that weekend would now be ruined, but on the other hand he was moaning that he had to be brought on at half time because West Ham needed him. Guess he isnt as West Ham through and though as he likes to make out! 

That’s the point I’m making, its up to klopp who he picks and I agree with his stance but any lucrative games during said break shouldn’t take place ether,

lets not forget Liverpool have played more competitive games then any other club in the country this season

if it were West Ham taking the stance and then buggering off to play in Saudi Arabia for millions of pounds I’d be less forgiving 

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

That’s the point I’m making, its up to klopp who he picks and I agree with his stance but any lucrative games during said break shouldn’t take place ether,

lets not forget Liverpool have played more competitive games then any other club in the country this season

if it were West Ham taking the stance and then buggering off to play in Saudi Arabia for millions of pounds I’d be less forgiving 

Is that not fake news that Liverpool have played more games than anyone else this season? Man City are at 38 which will be 39 this week when they play United. Wolves are at 40, Portsmouth and Exeter are at 41, I'm sure there must be a few others around that. Liverpool in comparison are at 40.

Last season Liverpool played 53, Man City played 61. Liverpool always play the victims and this is the narrative that Klopp is following looking to get sympathy but the reality is that it is fake news. In the year we ourselves got to the Semis we played 54, a game more than Liverpool played last season. 

Portsmouth and Exeter are having decent seasons, you dont see them moaning about the fixtures, they are just happy to being doing well and the games cant come soon enough for them and this is despite having significantly smaller squads than Liverpool, their players are likely not to have their asses wiped for them, they dont have the top class training and medical facilities that Liverpool do which will aid player recovery. Wheres the mid season break for these clubs? To top it off clubs like Portsmouth and Exeter then have to play the touth squads of these big clubs in the EFL trophy. 

Let's not forget also, Liverpool recieve huge amounts of money for the games they play in, winning the Champions League, that enables them to pay for more players so they can rotate. Exeter and Portsmouth dont receive that. 

I have **** all sympathy with them about fixture congestion, instead I have every sympathy with the lower league clubs, no one ever talks about their fixture congestion. But because its Liverpool we have to feel sorry for them? No chance! I'm not into elitism. 

Klopp tried to get his players an extra weeks rest on top of the winter break by fielding a youthful team at Shrewsbury, that gamble backfired, he should just suck it up instead of whinging like a baby and throwing his toys out of the pram.

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Is that not fake news that Liverpool have played more games than anyone else this season? Man City are at 38 which will be 39 this week when they play United. Wolves are at 40, Portsmouth and Exeter are at 41, I'm sure there must be a few others around that. Liverpool in comparison are at 40.

Last season Liverpool played 53, Man City played 61. Liverpool always play the victims and this is the narrative that Klopp is following looking to get sympathy but the reality is that it is fake news. In the year we ourselves got to the Semis we played 54, a game more than Liverpool played last season. 

Portsmouth and Exeter are having decent seasons, you dont see them moaning about the fixtures, they are just happy to being doing well and the games cant come soon enough for them and this is despite having significantly smaller squads than Liverpool, their players are likely not to have their asses wiped for them, they dont have the top class training and medical facilities that Liverpool do which will aid player recovery. Wheres the mid season break for these clubs? To top it off clubs like Portsmouth and Exeter then have to play the touth squads of these big clubs in the EFL trophy. 

Let's not forget also, Liverpool recieve huge amounts of money for the games they play in, winning the Champions League, that enables them to pay for more players so they can rotate. Exeter and Portsmouth dont receive that. 

I have **** all sympathy with them about fixture congestion, instead I have every sympathy with the lower league clubs, no one ever talks about their fixture congestion. But because its Liverpool we have to feel sorry for them? No chance! I'm not into elitism. 

Klopp tried to get his players an extra weeks rest on top of the winter break by fielding a youthful team at Shrewsbury, that gamble backfired, he should just suck it up instead of whinging like a baby and throwing his toys out of the pram.

Having read this thread, and the news reports of Klopp's comments, only one person appears to be having a child-like hissy fit about this, and it's you, not him.

8 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Yet again you make a fool of yourself. Embarrassing.

Squad sizes are so large nowadays that I can’t see any real reason for replays to be scrapped. They’ve already done away with replays later on in the competition, if Liverpool (or whoever) don’t want replays, then they ought to win the games.

It’s a bit disrespectful to field weakened teams but I don’t think it’s the end of the world. I’d certainly prefer Shrewsbury to beat the Liverpool kids than to scrap all FA Cup replays.

No reason for him to not manage, that is disrespectful to Shrewsbury, the FA Cup & his young players imo. 

I am fed up of hearing Pep & Klopp moan about the format of the English game, if you do not like this, then please go and manage elsewhere. You both have huge squads, use them & stop whinging. 

Replays should be optional if both managers agree, same division sides would rarely ever take up that option. I posted this previously and people mentioned this is already a thing, but why haven't we seen it implemented yet then? Wolves & United managers were both unhappy with having to play a replay in round 3. 

3 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

Would Klopp have taken this approach if they required a replay against Man City, Utd, Chelsea or any of the other clubs at the top end of the Prem? 

Yes, he played the kids against Aston Villa in the league cup because of the world club cup

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

No it’s not fake news

liverpool have had to play in the champions league , world club cup both fa and league cup, prem, charity shield, euro super cup,

no other club in the country have had to deal with that and the only club to have ever come close to it was man united, who pulled out of the league cup to battle fixture congestion 

if anything it just show you to be anti Liverpool and that you have a bias against them,

and no I don’t like or support Liverpool in anyway, that’s why I can be objective about it

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

What about his wanting to win the world cup thing over cup games? 

46 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

No reason for him to not manage, that is disrespectful to Shrewsbury, the FA Cup & his young players imo. 

I am fed up of hearing Pep & Klopp moan about the format of the English game, if you do not like this, then please go and manage elsewhere. You both have huge squads, use them & stop whinging. 

Replays should be optional if both managers agree, same division sides would rarely ever take up that option. I posted this previously and people mentioned this is already a thing, but why haven't we seen it implemented yet then? Wolves & United managers were both unhappy with having to play a replay in round 3. 

I agree wolves and other uefa teams had to start their seasons early. Im so glad so far we havent copied la liga playing at midnight or amercian football being played here. 

I think to be honest the bbc and other outlets have possibly made this story bigger than it is... as frankly liverpool wanna win the league... and then ideally champions league... do they care for cups or that lower league teams get to play against their heroes or fans to travel to great stadiums suppporting their own team? Or more to the point do the managers wanna win cups? It seems like its not high on their agenda. 

I find this approach totally disrespectful to not only the FA cup but to all the lower level teams like Shrewsbury.

I note Liverpool never worried about replays when the only trophy they were likely to win was the FA cup. Now they are way ahead in the league why not rest players for the next league game - even if they lose they will still be 13 points in front with a game in hand.

All teams involved in either of the European competitions should skip the League cup all together.

FA Cup replay teams should at least be made up from their Premier League squads (25 players) not the youth team.

OK for Klopp to send his first team on a break but himself? Do me a favour.

2 minutes ago, myol'man said:

All teams involved in either of the European competitions should skip the League cup all together.

FA Cup replay teams should at least be made up from their Premier League squads (25 players) not the youth team.

OK for Klopp to send his first team on a break but himself? Do me a favour.

There’s another way to look at it

He’s the first team manager/coach, why is he needed if the first team is on holiday, if they are playing the youth team why not let the youth team manager experience anfield and a big game for said players helping said coach develop 

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Which do you think carries more prestige, being crowned club world champions for the 1st time in the club's history or winning the League Cup again? 

I suppose klopp might love the cups but knows he will get sacked if he doesn't win the league considering their point gap to 2nd/3rd. 

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

There’s another way to look at it

He’s the first team manager/coach, why is he needed if the first team is on holiday, if they are playing the youth team why not let the youth team manager experience anfield and a big game for said players helping said coach develop 

Disrespecting the FA Cup, Disrespecting the opposition, Disrespecting his own young players, Disrespecting the paying fans?

It's a first team cup match so first team coach/manager should be there.

F.A Cup replays bring in much needed revenue to clubs like Shrewsbury especially when you hold a top 6 premier side at home. If replays are scrapped would teams like Liverpool and Manchester City give up some of their Sky cash to support lower league sides?

We've seen Bury go under this season but had they been in Shrews position with a replay at Anfield would that have saved them? Before the F.A. bow to Premier League pressure they need to take stock of the bigger picture.

City are in a decent financial position but the League Cup run certainly helped us out. And during that run both Manchester teams showed us respect with their matchday squad in all 3 games.

As for Klopp not being in the dug out that's his prerogative but I hope he doesn't moan if their youth side lose.

Archived