IGNORED

No talking football in the workplace?

Red Onion

57 minutes ago, TBW said:

Seems Anne Franke is finding it difficult to concentrate with all the football talk going on. May be worth attending some sort of weekend retreat to help her with her concentration.

Get a season ticket and go and support your local team, I’d say!

I work in an almost all male office and no one likes sport there (IT Support, natch) so the best conversations I have about sport are with Mrs Moose (who is female). She used to play cricket at teenage county level and is ardent Rugby League fan (she's also from Yorkshire). The only condition to moving down here was that we got Sky Sports so she could watch RL on the telly as Headingley is a bit of a jaunt from here every other weekend. Suggesting females aren't interested in sport is utter rubbish. Give my regards to the 1950s, Anne.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

I'm no snowflake by any stretch of the imagination but Anne Frank gags on Holocaust Memorial Day are in pretty poor taste. At least 3 so far I think on here so far along with Godwin's Law being invoked early on in the debate. 

If anyone needs a reminder : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust

Rip the piss out of the article we're discussing but leave it there, yeah? 

Fair comment, when I posted it I didn't really twig that it was Holocaust Memorial Day, not that it excuses it as it was a cheap gag and shouldn't have been made regardless. Apologies if it caused any offence. 

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What else is there to talk about!?

Well seeing as a BBC interview started this!

lets choose from: (perhaps )

political bias (auntie Brexit)
racist recruitment policy (excluding white non ethnic minorities from job applications) (yes that is true! they have said white people not of an ethnic minority may not apply for a job)

putting children’s hour in BBC1 on a Sunday at 7pm (Dr who imposter with jackanory cast)

Anne Frankes femenistic view on Football and the BBC’ love of girl commentators!

5 hours ago, Olé said:

How has this thread managed to get to nearly 20 posts without anyone pointing out that this is political correctness gone mad.

(It's not political correctness gone mad, it's the media spending the entire time looking for cheap stories to troll the British public.)

Social media has killed off proper journalism, now it's all about the most ridiculous and trivial story guaranteed to generate outrage.

This daft lady's opinion is obviously ridiculous, rather than ignore it completely, the media amplify for as many clicks as they can get.

Yes but it was on Radio 4…this sort of nonsense gets traction on 'serious' news outlets like that. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I was actually thinking of this from a different angle Reg. I find it a rather foul coincidence that someone named Anne Franck, on Holocaust Day, would care to come out with comments suppressing freedom of speech. 
Obviously it’s not her fault she has a similar sounding name to Anne Frank, but I’m sure she is aware of this similarity. I’m minded to showing more ire toward this woman for suggesting such horseshit, on such a poignant day, than to a few ill-timed gags. 

Two sides of the same coin, eh. At least we did think about it. 

Her suggestion was horseshit as you say, but that doesn’t excuse such crass gags.  

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Rarely does a topic unite pretty much every single poster on OTIB, male, female, old, young, LJ inners and LJ outers but Ms Francke has nailed it!

Top work!

Indeed it did, until dave36 came along. 

2 hours ago, dave36 said:

Well seeing as a BBC interview started this!

lets choose from: (perhaps )

political bias (auntie Brexit)
racist recruitment policy (excluding white non ethnic minorities from job applications) (yes that is true! they have said white people not of an ethnic minority may not apply for a job)

putting children’s hour in BBC1 on a Sunday at 7pm (Dr who imposter with jackanory cast)

Anne Frankes femenistic view on Football and the BBC’ love of girl commentators!

Dave, put your copy of the Daily Mail down on the floor and kick it away.

I’ve been retired a decade now but spend a great deal of time when working in a largely female environment and I can’t ever remember getting into casual conversation with any women about football or cricket.......it was never a topic that ever came up.

So.....I can’t see what the problem is............:dunno:

6 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

If youre performing well in your job otherwise, there's no way theyd sack you for it. 

Not sure anyone mentioned sacking?

More a case of perhaps being called in by a superior to advise you what is deemed acceptable to talk about in the workplace, and the latest thing that is not.

Said in a way that makes it very clear you're expected to take this advice on board.

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes but it was on Radio 4…this sort of nonsense gets traction on 'serious' news outlets like that. 

She was also interviewed on the Nick Ferrari show on LBC.

He poured scorn on her - such a refreshingly straightforward style of interviewing compared to the BBC.

Particularly R5Live which I used to listen to, where every single interview seemed to start from a PC standpoint, with their chosen message rammed home throughout.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve been retired a decade now but spend a great deal of time when working in a largely female environment and I can’t ever remember getting into casual conversation with any women about football or cricket.......it was never a topic that ever came up.

Mate, I know you're just fishing here, but seriously, stop being such a ****. 

As already established on the thread earlier, there are plenty of female football (and cricket) fans in most work places who can talk a better game than many men.

41 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They probably didn't want to talk to you about football because you talk such rubbish about it.

Bet they had great in depth tactical chats otherwise.

Archived