IGNORED

No talking football in the workplace?

Red Onion

11 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Two sides of the same coin, eh. At least we did think about it. 

Her suggestion was horseshit as you say, but that doesn’t excuse such crass gags.  

That's right. Let's not share what are clearly jokes. 

Another humour bypass. It's catching. 

No wonder the BBC invest very little in comedy these days. 

30 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

That's right. Let's not share what are clearly jokes. 

Another humour bypass. It's catching. 

No wonder the BBC invest very little in comedy these days. 

Come on pal. 
Yes, we’ve all told crass jokes and there’s no problem with that. I actually immediately thought of the Anne Frank link and thought there’d easily be a joke in there. 
But I thought, mmmmm...maybe not yesterday, of all days. 
Nothing to do with humour bypass, but more to do with respecting 6 million dead people. 

19 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Spot on Olé. 

Someone says something ever so slightly critical or negative (such as "I'm not sure what Joe said is correct) is translated to the nonsense headline "Person A slams Joe". 

Everything is "slams" now. Nobody can have a healthy or constructive disagreement any more. 

See the source image

21 hours ago, RedM said:

This is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard and as a female I am embarrassed by her attitude

Chartered Management Institute head Ann Francke said sports banter can exclude women and lead to laddish behaviour such as chat about sexual conquests.

"A lot of women, in particular, feel left out," she told the BBC's Today programme.

"They don't follow those sports and they don't like either being forced to talk about them or not being included."

Yep.

What about old folk in the workplace who have never heard of certain bands, musical performers, bars or nightclubs currently "in" lets stop younger people expressing themselves over things they enjoy too.

(I'm really old incidentally).

Crap like this doesn't help women in the commercial workplace.

I'm often wary about any advice coming from someone in "management" that isn't actually in management, especially someone that heads a chartered institute for an industry that doesn't need chartered status, and an industry that is often criticised for being a salary pit in larger organisations.

With that being said, I've known some companies ban football chat entirely. My brother used to work at Teleperformance, and apparently they had to ban football chat after two Scottish lads got in a bust-up during a dress-down Friday after one came in with a Rangers shirt, and the other a Celtic shirt. Then again, they're a colossal shithole of a company, so maybe it proves my point again?

Any sane organisation wouldn't stop people from talking about their interests. If anything, a good manager would want people to be open about that kind of stuff, and to foster an atmosphere where people that don't know stuff about football can join in and ask questions.

Archived