IGNORED

Pub Advice - Reading

HayBCFC

Afternoon fellas.

Reading away is one I've done countless times and whilst I moan about it every year I always seem to find my way back. As bad as the match experience is, it must be said that the centre is actually pretty decent.

For those of you travelling by train, there's a decent little pub crawl I'd advise. First pub is the "Hope Tap", generic chain pub, 2 min walk from the station. Once done in there, go across the road, turn right and about 50 yards down there's a good pub on the left called "The Gateway", fairly cheap and old school but welcoming nonetheless. The final stop off I'd recommend is "The Greyfriar", bit of a qwerky pub that I've only been in once from memory but a decent selection of ales and ciders. The reason we finished at this pub is because the buses to the ground leave directly opposite it, which is handy.

If you're travelling by car there's really not much for you. I think there's a Holiday Inn that welcomes away fans still but last time I was in there City fans were singing and playing up a bit so I'm not sure how welcome you'd be this year. The lack of pub choice is piss poor really, I'd have lost interest a long time ago if I was a Reading fan.

Have a good one.

10 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Always just go in Spoons.

Truly terrible shout mate.

I travel all over the country following City and love to sample different towns, cities and pubs. If the lot I went with just pitched up in a generic Wetherspoons just outside the train station that all look exactly the same the days on the piss wouldn't be half as good.

It's cheap, but you very much get what you pay for. Average pubs, usually a shit pint. Broaden your horizons, you'll enjoy it.

• Admin
1 hour ago, HayBCFC said:

"The Greyfriar", bit of a qwerky pub that I've only been in once from memory but a decent selection of ales and ciders.

A man close to my heart can recall what they sell better than remembering how many times you have been there ?

7 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

I travel all over the country following City and love to sample different towns, cities and pubs. If the lot I went with just pitched up in a generic Wetherspoons just outside the train station that all look exactly the same the days on the piss wouldn't be half as good.

It's cheap, but you very much get what you pay for. Average pubs, usually a shit pint. Broaden your horizons, you'll enjoy it.

You do realise the Hope Tap is a Spoons right?

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Or turn left at the end of the road in front of you and there's walkabout Yates and oneils 

The thing to remember about Reading they normally have door staff on doors in the centre and let only locals in

Monks, Yates & Walkabout for sure will have door staff
Oneils its 50/50 (Its City so i imagine they will)
Three guineas, Hopetap, Gateway & Greyfriers all away friendly

Also for travelling advise if in a group get a taxi its cheaper than the match day buses.

21 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

Nah you're alright pal, you crack on and broaden your horizons, I'll take the Thatchers Gold for £3.30 a pint  . Cheers.

23 minutes ago, phantom said:

Or turn left at the end of the road in front of you and there's walkabout Yates and oneils 

The thing to remember about Reading they normally have door staff on doors in the centre and let only locals in

Yeah I wouldn't advise wearing colours, none of our lot will be so we'll be fine.

20 minutes ago, MurrayLives said:

You do realise the Hope Tap is a Spoons right?

I do yes, we're stopping in there and moving on though not staying put for 3 hours.

If I'm totally honest with you, the main reason we're going there is because one of the lads we're going with has a very generous work business card allowance when he works away and he's currently working in London, so will be meeting us there and getting in the first round :laugh:

24 minutes ago, phantom said:

A man close to my heart can recall what they sell better than remembering how many times you have been there ?

:D

8 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Nah you're alright pal, you crack on and broaden your horizons, I'll take the Thatchers Gold for £3.30 a pint  . Cheers.

Each to their own mate. I think you'd enjoy yourself far more though if you went to some decent local pubs and paid 50p more for a decent pint than a cup of piss.

What's it going to cost you over the course of a day? £7.50 at most more if it's a heavy one?

2 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

:D

Each to their own mate. I think you'd enjoy yourself far more though if you went to some decent local pubs and paid 50p more for a decent pint than a cup of piss.

What's it going to cost you over the course of a day? £7.50 at most more if it's a heavy one?

So now I've been drinking cider wrong all these years, you're a delight. I'm picturing you with a long beard and a vape.

47 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Opposite side of the motorway not that far to walk is a boozer. Can’t remember the name but recalled a London Irish rugby theme . 

That’s the Swan at Three Mile Cross - home to London Irish, good boozer and beer. There’s a park and ride (Mereoak Park & Ride) across the lights from there which goes to the ground save taking your life in your hands negotiating that horrible junction. 

The Oakford Social Club almost opposite the rain station is a great place for a few beers and they also now have a Brewdog pub in town which does good food. 

Archived