IGNORED

Reading away 80s

Red Army 75

8 minutes ago, RivieraRed said:

Yep.. was there and played hurdles with the Cops chasing... if you check out TheEliteClothing on YouTub you'll see City on a clip from this game.  As for the Swindon game, that was also interesting - 3 months before in Jan-1984.

Was it you who got chased across the pitch up into the stand then dragged down the steps by the of bill

43 minutes ago, Walsheys step over said:

Terry cooper came over to the away end and asked for calm .city mob walked through the home end before the start of my memory serves me right

All dressed in suits, carrying umbrellas. That's how the home end (side) was infiltrated (undercover). Walked across to the other side, then all hell broke loose.

54 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Swindon away cant remember exact year jan moller was in goal and swindon fans pelted him with coins city fans responded by ripping up half the terracing and chucking it on the pitch 

Started with a pie being thrown at a copper knocking his helmet off...await the jokes....then they let the alsatians in on us. That part of their ground was shut after that and never re opened  until major alteration was done to it. That was bedlam. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Walsheys step over said:

Was it you who got chased across the pitch up into the stand then dragged down the steps by the of bill

No.. watched from behind the goal before climbing 1 to many fences before being jumped on by the OB... got back in via the home-end only to find a few of us suddenly out numbered... happy days not.

5 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

All dressed in suits, carrying umbrellas. That's how the home end (side) was infiltrated (undercover). Walked across to the other side, then all hell broke loose.

4 minutes ago, KevP said:

Started with a pie being thrown at a copper knocking his helmet off...await the jokes....then they let the alsatians in on us. That part of their ground was shut after that and never re opened  until major alteration was done to it. That was bedlam. 

Austin Reed blazers and Farah slacks.?

1 hour ago, Trueredsupporter said:

The article doesnt really pant how dark the day was. not much problem with hooligans fighting hooligans but City fans went far beyond that.

I was with a Reading supporting mate walking back to his house, all kicking off in the street with City everywhere....I grabbed his Reading scarf and threw it away, not out of spite but to save him from a hiding ! As you say, way out of line that day .

1 hour ago, basshead said:

Ah right yea nice lad .must know you Barton hill aswell know his brother better .He's  going through  it at moment aswell  ?

Think his name was Tim? He drew the plans up for the kitchen extension on my first house. Haven’t seen him for many years. Hope he’s okay. 

Never been a rioter but was present at the 'goings on' at Reading, Swindon, Plymouth, and even Torquay - after the game (Nolan sister, made the papers)

Also on the train to York, as mentioned above, but remember that as a good day out and very peaceful except the first City fan off the train at York ran across the platform shouting, BRRRISSSSSSSSSSSTOL, and was promptly rugby tackled to the ground by police and arrested.

Always thought that was a long way to go to be arrested within 30 seconds!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Never been a rioter but was present at the 'goings on' at Reading, Swindon, Plymouth, and even Torquay - after the game (Nolan sister, made the papers)

Also on the train to York, as mentioned above, but remember that as a good day out and very peaceful except the first City fan off the train at York ran across the platform shouting, BRRRISSSSSSSSSSSTOL, and was promptly rugby tackled to the ground by police and arrested.

Always thought that was a long way to go to be arrested within 30 seconds!

That Torquay game was nuts, Ms Nolan was seeing a Torquay player at the time, Wilson? Another City game to hit the Nationals!!! 

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Maybe tomorrow 'The post' will print how Rovers fans attacked families of Swindon fans with baseball bat's in a pub garden on Gloucester Road? 

Yeah.  Not that this stuff should be forgotten about or viewed with any kind of nostalgia, but exactly what relevance does this have to tonight's game?  Is it something the post prints every time we play Reading away?  

Perhaps the writer is Gas and the six digits on each hand confused him when using them to erroneously determine it's the 25th anniversary this year...

8 minutes ago, ukneil said:

Yeah.  Not that this stuff should be forgotten about or viewed with any kind of nostalgia, but exactly what relevance does this have to tonight's game?  Is it something the post prints every time we play Reading away?  

Perhaps the writer is Gas and the six digits on each hand confused him when using them to erroneously determine it's the 25th anniversary this year...

The Editor-in-chief is certainly gas and used to stand on the Tote End

I was 10 years old at the time and still remember a bloke with broken glasses and claret everywhere, if I recall Howard Pritchard was fouled and the ref awarded a free kick to Reading from which they scored. All hell broke loose. I  can remember the Torquay game away. Stones being thrown from a graveyard. Happy days all character building lols.

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Yes

1 hour ago, Sixtyseconds said:

When you are young you want to see how far you can push things.

How extreme and mad can we be.

Things went too far that day.

Know a few now regret it.

Had a mate who got eighteen months in the big house for the Reading game.

Wasn't a bad lad and it made a mess of his life.

I also had a mate who suffered similar consequences, funny thing is I would never have had him down to do what he did.

A mad, surreal, drunken day.

42 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

That Torquay game was nuts, Ms Nolan was seeing a Torquay player at the time, Wilson? Another City game to hit the Nationals!!! 

The torquay weekender mass football match on beach the boat that sank in 2 foot of water with 1 of the hapless sailors arrested when old bill followed his wet footprints to where he was hiding behind a nearby building an amazing weekend spent with some fantasic lads what memories

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

The torquay weekender mass football match on beach the boat that sank in 2 foot of water with 1 of the hapless sailors arrested when old bill followed his wet footprints to where he was hiding behind a nearby building an amazing weekend spent with some fantasic lads what memories

Ahh, the Yacht & the Gibbon bar on the harbour, was that really over 35 years ago? 

3 hours ago, swanker said:

I was there as well. Used to get about a bit back in the day. 

As a Swindon fan I went to all the City matches at home from the late 70's onwards and they were always really lively. Also went to Elm Park and found their lot rather quiet and not really a Derby compared to you guys the Gas and Oxford