IGNORED

Reading v Bristol City Match Day 29

Septic Peg

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think LJs presser was very telling.

It's a catch 22.

We are now a trading team. He said so.

He plans a team...we get the players. As he said, at the beginning of the season we had the best mix of experienced and talented inexperienced. And I agree with him.

Then got injuries to Kalas,DaSilva, Smith and Afobe...massive.

Then we have a bunch of inexperience and youngsters. Fitting in with the Championship and taking time to integrate.

It will have flaws.

If you sell your best players and build your team previously around them, then you are screwed.

Bryan, Webster, Reid etc..

It's not LJs fault, or the scouting.

The system we have is two steps forward, one step back.

We recruit well...but it's to develop and sell.

In the process we hope to gain promotion and keep the books healthy.

No manager will do better imo.

The club's system dictates.

The one thing that is hardest to do is sign a player...it gets harder every year.

As a Club...we are seen as a stepping stone or a Club that has ethics and will look after a player. Baker being a prime example of the latter.

There is no magic solution.

I personally think we are doing ok.

Agree it’s difficult in our situation. Could we make it slightly easier on ourselves though. I’ve asked in the past, what is our playing philosophy ? As you say, our best players are sold and we have to start again.

if though we had a system to play throughout the club and recruited players to play that system then surely when we sell  our best player , the whole philosophy doesn’t have to get ripped up , also if a youngster has to step up then he’s ingrained in how we play. 
Very easy to say it obviously and very difficult to achieve but it makes sense to me. 

The most pleasing and important thing is yet another clean sheet, you would like to think that they have been working on it the last week or so and defending as a team. It looks like Pato has his mojo back also which makes us a more potent force going forward and takes the pressure off Eliasson

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

It was a lot more than that on Twitter, and the criticisms were justified in the run-up to Christmas. We were awful. 

I have looked at twitter and Facebook ........and decided to give it a miss?

What is an improvement is that for the first time this season after a mini break we’ve come on strong in the next game.

14 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Christ, that commentary at the end, brilliantly heartstopping, sounded like an old fashioned final round in a boxing match..

Great result, the backs to the wall experience will create a 'togetherness' in the dressing room, everything good..

but WOW what a great couple of minutes of radio commentary!!

Well done all ?

Is it possible to listen back? Unsure about broadcasting rights.

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah it did with some

It's the people who bring the midget crap out, that I take issue with, I wanted him either gone or to pick a system and run with it, he's done the latter so I'm happy with that and happy that we are looking decent defensively, still work to be done but it seems we may be finding a way of playing that is maybe not total football, but at least looks coherent and I think we will get better. 

Fantastic performance. Got that little bit of luck at the end. But then I reckon we should have scored another from the chances we had. 

That Dasilva run second half. Ridiculous! 

Baker and Korey best players. Williams solid too. Hunt very good as was Dasilva. 

Pato and Brownhill work so well with Korey. 

Korey ability on the ball always been underrated. So composed, so experienced. 

Fam was a handful too. Bentley very safe pair of hands. Not spilling a shot with Reading players running in. 

Odowda impressed me off the bench. 

Bakes what a performance! Oh I'm repeating myself now. But absolutely wanted it. 

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I still maintain, Baker is the best defender we’ve got - I laugh at the petty and misguided criticism he gets on here...no one doubts our other defenders when they are injured - they just love to deride a guy who has extensive premier league experience, it’s rather pathetic - and it reached a peak tonight with @redsquirrelclaiming Baker “pretends” he’s injured ...

ok,pretends was the wrong word but there have been games where It just appears he might not want to be out there. he is absolute class I couldn't agree more it just baffles me how he can throw himself about all night tonight and many other games yet sometimes slightest knock ends his game

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree it’s difficult in our situation. Could we make it slightly easier on ourselves though. I’ve asked in the past, what is our playing philosophy ? As you say, our best players are sold and we have to start again.

if though we had a system to play throughout the club and recruited players to play that system then surely when we sell  our best player , the whole philosophy doesn’t have to get ripped up , also if a youngster has to step up then he’s ingrained in how we play. 
Very easy to say it obviously and very difficult to achieve but it makes sense to me. 

Like you say...easier said than done

We sit 6 points off first.

In the big picture, looking at every club in this division we aren't doing too bad.

In fact I'd say we are doing far better than far more established Clubs.

Our system needs everything in place without injuries imo.

We've been hit hard last two seasons, yet still progressed 

People bang on about Brentford...yet they still fail as much as us. Or put it another way... achieve as much as us.

People bang on about our scouting etc...yet Brentford are more about analysis. And LJ and his team get slammed for using that in their opinion.

It's madness.

As LJ says...Clubs and him and the players need to deal with the polar reactions of the fans.

One week he's a failure and must go...within two, fans are singing his name.

Who looks like mugs here?

It's so disingenuous.

They are all trying their hardest.

Some might not be up to the level.

If it was our son playing...would we be supporting or telling him he's crap and to leave?

I don't think some are good enough for promotion...but given the circumstances, we should all,imo, be getting behind the Club.

Even Famara... I'll support him even though I think he doesn't fit our Club.

1 minute ago, redsquirrel said:

ok,pretends was the wrong word but there have been games where It just appears he might not want to be out there. he is absolute class I couldn't agree more it just baffles me how he can throw himself about all night tonight and many other games yet sometimes slightest knock ends his game

Fair enough, appreciate your response. It gets emotional during a game and we all want the same thing - cheers for replying mate 

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, appreciate your response. It gets emotional during a game and we all want the same thing - cheers for replying mate 

I mentioned Shaun Taylor earlier. He may go off early on occasions but no one can doubt his commitment.

Can't imagine many strikers at this level look forward to a match up with Baker.

He's tough as old boots, takes no prisoners, and with what is a generally light weight side is the sort of protector we need.

The commitment was excellent tonight. Whilst we often complain about the lack of creativity sometimes, everyone seems to be putting in a hell of a shift.

People have rightly pointed out Williams and especially Baker putting their bodies on the line.

But the sight of Fam sprinting from Readings box after one of our corners, to help defend a counter attack and ending up clearing the ball in our box, summed up a great team performance.

Well done lads!

Well I was happy and halftime and honestly expected a draw, which perhaps would have been fair. But so nice to see City pass the ball again. Some lovely triangles (where had they gone?), and even a few fancy flicks. There were some errors in possession, especially Weimann, but overall it was a top end Championship away performance. Well done Johnson for getting the lads to play to some semblance of the identity we're looking for.

One thing you can’t question about this set of players is their desire to keep the ball out of the net. Baker superb tonight and we really had to hold out under intense pressure in those last ten minutes. 

We looked pedestrian in first half but for 25 mins of second half I thought we looked quite good. Dasilva got better as game went on and Fammy probably should have headed in from another great Elliasson cross. Excellent move for the goal. 

6th with 4 wins in 5. And many on here would have had LJ sacked...

Great to get 3 points away again and a decent performance.  6th spot is fantastic, especially if we can get a new no 9 by the end of the window.

Something in the Patto factor I think.

Baker is sometimes glass and other times class.  He was certainly a class act tonight, though personally, I think Taylor Moore has earned a start alongside him.

Why we have to put ourselves through squeaky bum time though I don't know.  Just keep the ball when we get it in the last 10 mins.  

Only downside is that we are still giving the ball away to easily.

Archived