IGNORED

Jamie Paterson - great pro

DownendRed97

10 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Are fans not allowed to criticise a player who is playing poorly and then sing his praises when he is? Happens to every player at every club.

I’m a great believer that you rate performances game by game, and reach an overall opinion....and repeat, and possibly change.

I might not be wholly convinced by Fam (partly due to system), but his last 7/8 performances have been really good, and it’s changing my overall view.

Its quite possible to be good one week, crap the next.  Doesn’t make a player top notch or Lg1.

12 minutes ago, DownendRed97 said:

I feel like @Davefevs hit the nail on the head saying it gave him a kick up the arse! Has the ability to be class at this level just needs consistency...hope he can keep it up!

It's definitely done something. He's much more committed and competitive than before.  To be honest I was starting to think it was time to ship him out.  I'm glad we didn't. 

19 minutes ago, fishy said:

Is it good management to send him out on loan (to a potential promotion pushing rival) in the hope it motivates him? Or do Derby have really good coaching staff which has improved his game? Or both?  Many on here question whether or not the coaching staff at AG are up to the task of improving players.  

Even after a win people cant help but have sly little digs at LJ can they? 

Many on here are clearly wrong because players have improved under LJ and his coaching team.

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Even after a win people cant help but have sly little digs at LJ can they? 

Many on here are clearly wrong because players have improved under LJ and his coaching team.

Maybe so. It's interesting to see how players develop.  With so many variables to consider; health, mental state, coaching etc. The fans will never really know what causes players to dip in and out of form/favour.

10 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Amazing how many people now rate him :laughcont:

He's playing well no doubt about that, but he was being slagged off left, right, and centre on here not so long ago.

Wouldn't this be the same with many players / at many clubs?

If a player is playing shite / not scoring, he gets criticised. Pato played shite for a long time.

If a player is playing well / scoring, he gets praised. Pato's done well since returning from his loan spell.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m a great believer that you rate performances game by game, and reach an overall opinion....and repeat, and possibly change.

I might not be wholly convinced by Fam (partly due to system), but his last 7/8 performances have been really good, and it’s changing my overall view.

Its quite possible to be good one week, crap the next.  Doesn’t make a player top notch or Lg1.

Exactly - I think what happens is lots of people like to make an early judgement on a player (human nature I suppose) and then have it vindicated.

I remember one poster on here saw Eros Pisano play, in his eyes, badly against Bristol Manor Farm (rather silly in my opinion). He spent the rest of Eros' spell with us trying to vindicate that opinion by always seeing the worst in Pisano.

I think it's pretty naive to form an early opinion on a player, especially in pre-season and really you need to see them in 10 games in a variety of scenarios and under different tactics and conditions.

I appreciate though that it's human nature (and part of being a football fan I suppose) to not do that.

11 hours ago, spudski said:

It's the same kick up the arse that Brownhill and Weimann need imo.

Both automatically picked and it shows.

Both can do better imo. They both have the ability, but they are comfortable.

A Brownhill playing like a 10 and a Weimann in the box rather then by the corner flag would be far more beneficial imo.

Definitely agree on Brownhill. I do feel he is coasting through games at the moment. Whether it is due to transfer speculation (and, dare I say it, a subconscious fear of injury scuppering a move), too many games in a short space of time or not enough pressure on his first team shirt is hard to say but I do think that he needs a bit of a kick up the arse or a fight on hands to motivate him.

Weimann is a strange one in that I don't feel his motivation or effort are the problem but he has been largely ineffective for some weeks now. With him, I do wonder if it actually is because of his work rate and the fact we never rest him. I wonder if he is just a bit burned out rather than too comfortable. But, either way, it would be a big help if we could make a Lyle Taylor type signing this week who could offer both competition and a chance of the odd rest...

14 hours ago, bris red said:

Fell out with LJ didn’t he.. i think it was off the field antics rather than on the field ones that got him loaned out.

He is a great player to have in your squad at this level but he is painfully inconsistent.. 

Hence I'm assuming why Derby didn't want him anymore, there must have been a reason their not exactly setting the league on fire themselves are they.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

It's the same kick up the arse that Brownhill and Weimann need imo.

Both automatically picked and it shows.

Both can do better imo. They both have the ability, but they are comfortable.

A Brownhill playing like a 10 and a Weimann in the box rather then by the corner flag would be far more beneficial imo.

I've often wondered if Brownhill could play a role like Ramsey often did at Arsenal.

A CM who would move up and even be further ahead of the striker at times, with his past experience as a striker he must have some finishing ability, and we have seen it in spells in the past.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Definitely agree on Brownhill. I do feel he is coasting through games at the moment. Whether it is due to transfer speculation (and, dare I say it, a subconscious fear of injury scuppering a move), too many games in a short space of time or not enough pressure on his first team shirt is hard to say but I do think that he needs a bit of a kick up the arse or a fight on hands to motivate him.

Weimann is a strange one in that I don't feel his motivation or effort are the problem but he has been largely ineffective for some weeks now. With him, I do wonder if it actually is because of his work rate and the fact we never rest him. I wonder if he is just a bit burned out rather than too comfortable. But, either way, it would be a big help if we could make a Lyle Taylor type signing this week who could offer both competition and a chance of the odd rest...

I agree regarding Weimann. His effort and willingness to run and chase is exemplary but he often appears to be playing in a different game from everyone else! He is a weird one, he does his own thing and doesn’t appear to be affecting the game but when he doesn’t play ( which is very rare) we do seem to miss him.

I find my self liking him but feeling frustrated with him in equal measures. I’d love him to suddenly start scoring regularly but he’s been here a while now and that doesn’t look like that’s him. So we have to make better use of his off the ball work perhaps, is this as good as we get from him or is an additional player yet to arrive at the club key?

I’ve gone off the Paterson topic slightly, maybe Jamie is that player to click with Weimann as it’s certainly not Diedhiou and the majority of others

14 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Amazing how many people now rate him :laughcont:

He's playing well no doubt about that, but he was being slagged off left, right, and centre on here not so long ago.

Ah yes there it is lads, that poster every thread has now days that creams himself over past criticism etc

We'll probably see the opposite of this posts in a couple of months 

From Johnson's post match presser...

No it hasn’t been an easy season for him, I was very honest with Jamie [Paterson] at the start of the season and said look I think you may need to go away [on loan] for a bit almost to appreciate what you have got here.

Not so much because of a drop in professional standards but because maybe he wasn’t quite as focused as he could have been.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

From Johnson's post match presser...

No it hasn’t been an easy season for him, I was very honest with Jamie [Paterson] at the start of the season and said look I think you may need to go away [on loan] for a bit almost to appreciate what you have got here.

Not so much because of a drop in professional standards but because maybe he wasn’t quite as focused as he could have been.

Well credit to Johnson. It has refocused him. Good call, gaffer.

16 hours ago, DownendRed97 said:

Takes a lot to come back to your parent club that deemed you surplus to requirements 5 months ago and hit the ground running, inspiring us to victory in recent performances. Has been criticized on here, sometimes rightly, however think we should appreciate how professional the bloke has been. I for one would love to see him continue his form for the rest of the season and fire us to the play offs. Keep it up Pato!

I took a bit of stick defending the guy for months after his illness. In honesty, he wasn’t performing but we knew somewhere deep down we had a very good player there and he just needed to find his form again.

Im glad he’s found it, in that run to the semi final he was outstanding, so let’s hope he can keep at it 

15 hours ago, JonDolman said:

What I don't get is people saying in the past he doesn't work hard, doesn't tackle.

He is very skinny and lightweight so might not be the best tackler but for me he works his socks off and tries his best to get his foot in too. 

You can see why he keeps Palmer out. So much more reliable and so better off the the ball. 

Couple of very sloppy give aways in a few minutes that can be infuriating, but other than that he was mainly very good again tonight. 

Something I noticed about him some way back, when he was in poor form and getting slated on here. Thought about posting on the subject at the time, but never did, so I’ll say it now. He’s brave in his own way, not physically, given his very slight build, but mentally. When he was struggling and couldn’t seem to put a foot right, I never once saw him go into his shell or hide. He still showed for the ball, called for it, worked hard, put a shift in. He got my respect for that.

I rate him and always have. At his best he was close to being PL quality. People have to remember that with his type of player, the creative midfielder, if you like, number 10 or whatever you want to call it, a degree of inconsistency nearly always goes with the territory. Tomlin would be another example and Palmer, if we ever get to see enough of him to make a properly considered judgment, will likely be the same. Talented and capable of producing something special on occasion, but you have to be willing to cut them a bit of slack and exercise some patience - not what OTIB is noted for.

Quite simply, none of these guys, if they were capable of delivering consistently high levels of performance akin to what we were seeing from Plato a couple of years back, would be playing for us. I’m personally pleased to see him back and delighted for him that he’s playing well and getting recognition for it. If he can keep it up he can have a very significant impact on the second half of our season.

31 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well credit to Johnson. It has refocused him. Good call, gaffer.

I suppose the test is to keep him focussed in the medium and long term, not just the here and now. Hopefully the shock to the system has taught Pato a lesson he won't forget.

17 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Something I noticed about him some way back, when he was in poor form and getting slated on here. Thought about posting on the subject at the time, but never did, so I’ll say it now. He’s brave in his own way, not physically, given his very slight build, but mentally. When he was struggling and couldn’t seem to put a foot right, I never once saw him go into his shell or hide. He still showed for the ball, called for it, worked hard, put a shift in. He got my respect for that.

I rate him and always have. At his best he was close to being PL quality. People have to remember that with his type of player, the creative midfielder, if you like, number 10 or whatever you want to call it, a degree of inconsistency nearly always goes with the territory. Tomlin would be another example and Palmer, if we ever get to see enough of him to make a properly considered judgment, will likely be the same. Talented and capable of producing something special on occasion, but you have to be willing to cut them a bit of slack and exercise some patience - not what OTIB is noted for.

Quite simply, none of these guys, if they were capable of delivering consistently high levels of performance akin to what we were seeing from Plato a couple of years back, would be playing for us. I’m personally pleased to see him back and delighted for him that he’s playing well and getting recognition for it. If he can keep it up he can have a very significant impact on the second half of our season.

Spot on. More players with that mentality the better.

I've always liked Pato. I think fans have been over the top of their criticism of him in the past.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Spot on. More players with that mentality the better.

I've always liked Pato. I think fans have been over the top of their criticism of him in the past.

Yes, and I’ve not heard anyone else pick up on that aspect of him as a player. Not easy to try to keep playing your normal game when nothing’s really working for you and people are getting on your back. There’s more than one way to be tough and whilst he’s obviously not cut out for the rough stuff, he did, to my mind, exhibit a certain strength of character in those circumstances.

There is often a great weight of expectation that goes with being that type of player. I often think that, whereas what you want to see from, say, your central defenders, is in a sense the same thing over and over again (concentration, organisation, discipline, and so on), what is demanded of so-called creative types is the exact opposite - inventiveness, something different, the ability to do the unexpected. Because they can do it sometimes, some fans seem to expect them to be able to do it all the time, which is impossible. It’s perhaps the hardest role to have in a team.

I hope his confidence will continue to build with this series of promising performances, because as I remember LJ once saying, when he’s really at it, he can be almost unplayable. Looking forward to seeing more from him in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

I'm not in the know but did they offload any other players to pay for Rooney's wages? as I doubt Jamie was on anything like he will be on.

In simple terms, Rooney was secured on the back of extra income to Derby from the Red32 sponsorship deal, he plays in the same position as Pato (and Lawrence also plays there), so was surplus to requirements.  In their financial position and EFL charge hanging over the, seems pointless to have a player hanging around getting paid not to play for 5/6 months, when you can give him back to his parent club.  There might be £ penalties for a Derby for sending him back early, as it was a season long loan.

Archived