IGNORED

Our Vocal Support

HayBCFC

I’ll stick my neck out on the line and say it, and I’m aware it won’t be the easiest post to read on a train back several pints down but here goes.

I’ve never been a fan of Lee Johnson, anybody that knows me will tell you that, but one thing that I have always done is get behind the team during the 90 minutes. I will vent my anger after.

Tonight, despite an all standing away end which looked great was completely mute until we scored.

Johnson in or out, whether you like it or not (I don’t) the players are clearly in it for him, if you don’t believe that you only have to look at those 3/4 goal line clearances in that one attack at the end.

I’m not really sure how to articulate it in the best way but **** me we have become so small time in our support, tonight until we scored the loudest chants were along the lines of “is this a library” (whilst contributing nowt to the atmosphere) “your support is effin shit” (ours was well and truly shite).

I’ve read on here before about people that say they don’t turn up to vocally back the team etc, that’s up to you, but you only have to watch Johnson’s interviews or players interviews to realise how much the support helps the players so if you’re going to turn up why not do you part and do all you can to help the team you love?

I’m aware this post will get many “aubergine” reactions, we won, I know it will, but these thoughts were going through my head at half time so I thought I shall post it regardless.

It’s not all doom and gloom, we won, and it was a cracking night. Safe journey back everyone that travelled, but food for thought perhaps.

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Good job it's a football match and not a singing competition then.

On the TV our support came over better than you described above 

Safe journey home, respect for going 

Not having that Phantom, you know better than most about “football fan culture” and I really don’t get turning up on a night like tonight and not giving your all to try and help the team onto victory.

Safe journey back also if you travelled.

9 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Sounds like someone had a few too many. Heard it loud over the radio so must have been your section. It's like sitting in section 20 in the south stand and not hearing section 82 very well.

Not at all, I’m still typing fairly coherently no?

I stood over the right side of the away end in the first half, the left side of the second half.

It was a poor away end tonight, I am on a train back full of lively City and they are all saying the same.

One of them just said they hope there wasn’t an away fan cam as there wouldn’t be many highlights.

27 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

I’ll stick my neck out on the line and say it, and I’m aware it won’t be the easiest post to read on a train back several pints down but here goes.

I’ve never been a fan of Lee Johnson, anybody that knows me will tell you that, but one thing that I have always done is get behind the team during the 90 minutes. I will vent my anger after.

Tonight, despite an all standing away end which looked great was completely mute until we scored.

Johnson in or out, whether you like it or not (I don’t) the players are clearly in it for him, if you don’t believe that you only have to look at those 3/4 goal line clearances in that one attack at the end.

I’m not really sure how to articulate it in the best way but **** me we have become so small time in our support, tonight until we scored the loudest chants were along the lines of “is this a library” (whilst contributing nowt to the atmosphere) “your support is effin shit” (ours was well and truly shite).

I’ve read on here before about people that say they don’t turn up to vocally back the team etc, that’s up to you, but you only have to watch Johnson’s interviews or players interviews to realise how much the support helps the players so if you’re going to turn up why not do you part and do all you can to help the team you love?

I’m aware this post will get many “aubergine” reactions, we won, I know it will, but these thoughts were going through my head at half time so I thought I shall post it regardless.

It’s not all doom and gloom, we won, and it was a cracking night. Safe journey back everyone that travelled, but food for thought perhaps.

Ummm.

I was there and I’m not a singer.

But the singing was constant around me. Not just the “library” chant but everything else. 
Don’t know if you were near the bottom half but where I was in the top half the singing/noise was constant

And if you thought it wasn’t, and want to moan, did you start any?

(The Tannoy, however, was crap. I therefore know my hearing was fine and singing definitely happened!)

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ummm.

I was there and I’m not a singer.

But the singing was constant around me. Not just the “library” chant but everything else. 
Don’t know if you were near the bottom half but where I was in the top half the singing/noise was constant

And if you thought it wasn’t, and want to moan, did you start any?

(The Tannoy, however, was crap. I therefore know my hearing was fine and singing definitely happened!)

I started many mate, apart from mates around me most weren’t joined in with which is what my gripe was. Particularly first half.

1 minute ago, HayBCFC said:

I started many mate, apart from mates around me most weren’t joined in with which is what my gripe was. Particularly first half.

Maybe thats why you couldn't hear the very loud City support.

Came over loud and clear to me.

Didn't hear Reading at all.

7 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

So what this really is about is the fact you couldn’t get a song going rather than the city support bring quiet........sounds like a classic “I’m taking my ball home” rant

I’m confused because you say how much of a difference it makes to the players etc & that we were quiet tonight yet we still won without making much noise, the same result as we got at home to Barnsley last time out but this time away & against arguably a better team. 
So the players don’t actually need that backing then?

And then I watch the post match interviews of Johnson, Bentley & Smith & they all state how good the support was & it was even mentioned by one of them or the guy doing the interviews about how it seemed more like a home game!

Your statement seems a little confusing & yes, I was there tonight.

It could have been better you're right, especially first half which was poor tbh. It definitely picked up second half though, and last 15 mins when we were defending it was pretty good. I think a few things contributed, the absolutely awful home support, literally no one there Wasn't a classic, was so boring for about an hour and the bloody piped in drum noise definitely didn't help either. 

Like I say though, it was much better at the end and an enjoyable night overall. Enjoy the win.

20 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I’m on that train in that carriage mate, speaking to the geezer now. ?

24 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

So what this really is about is the fact you couldn’t get a song going rather than the city support bring quiet........sounds like a classic “I’m taking my ball home” rant

Not at all for crying out loud. I seriously couldn’t care if my chants catch on or not, it is what it is but our support tonight was poor vocally. I honestly think it’s suffering because of the divide over LJ, it’s been so much better in recent years.

1 hour ago, HayBCFC said:

Couldn't agree more mate! I was there and sober. I brought a couple of my mates along who had never been to a city game before and was embarrassed when we were totally out sung on the divide by a band of school kids. I must give it to them, they didn't stop singing and getting behind there boys with lots of different songs. I honestly believe building an atmosphere and getting behind the lads can make a huge difference. Every chant we had (all 2 of them tonight) fizzled out quickly and sounded awful. I'm pretty sure all this noise people were saying they heard on the radio and TV must have been the home fans! It was sad to get shown up off the pitch with such a good following tonight, but a fantastic slogged out win and ultimately that's what we all came for! COYR

I have to agree with the OP. Given the numbers, it was pretty quiet for long periods. 
A few songs took hold, generally Ole Ole and Cmon you reds, but not much got the whole end going. 
I was at Shrews the other week too and again the vocals were quite poor in that game. 
It wasn’t completely poor tonight, but in the past we’ve been so much louder and consistent through the game than we were tonight. 

Agree completely mate. Was very quiet until the goal and only really kicked off noise-wise when we were defending resolutely. 

Hardcore singers were a little split and the reading fans constant noise from their singing section made it hard to hear when we were starting chants. 

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Agree completely mate. Was very quiet until the goal and only really kicked off noise-wise when we were defending resolutely. 

Hardcore singers were a little split and the reading fans constant noise from their singing section made it hard to hear when we were starting chants. 

And reading is normally such a quiet pasttime.

22 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I was on half way and to be frank we were completely out sang by Reading until the goal. Its interesting that it sounded louder on bctv. But it was quiet. 

Rangers needs a really big effort as the acoustics and ground type there are great for visiting supporters

Archived