IGNORED

Our Vocal Support

HayBCFC

What is it with some fans? Why do they feel the need to find something to moan about when we win? They just always have to have a moan about something! Can they not just be happy that we won and put it quite a good performance? 

I have held a long term belief that there is a small, but vocal element of our fanbase that enjoy negativity more than they enjoy us winning, posts like this back that belief up.

8 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Totally agree with OP. Considering the numbers and the fact we won that's one of the worst away supports I've been a part of. Totally out sung by Reading, even after we scored. 

Strange as it's usually a decent atmosphere at Reading. 

Christ, we’ve gone from being a bit quiet to “nobody joined in with my song” to now reading out-sung us!!!

i wasn’t there but find that very hard to believe 

1 minute ago, RedRaw said:

Christ, we’ve gone from being a bit quiet to “nobody joined in with my song” to now reading out-sung us!!!

i wasn’t there but find that very hard to believe 

The fact you weren't there means your opinion on this specific subject is completely irrelevant 

I think what has to be considered is the team performance? And by that I mean the energy that the team play with.

For months now there has been very little to get ‘bums off seats’ if you get what I mean? Our free flowing attacking football seems to of deserted us & things like having a free kick with less than a minute of the half left & about 30 yards out is the prime opportunity to get our first shot on target of the game (if my memory is correct) but instead it is played wide to our right-back & it was like the ref had even decided that if we aren’t going to bother then why should bother to stand out there anymore & off went the whistle for halftime.

It felt like we were going for the game plan of not conceding & still being 0-0 at 79 minutes & then we might have a chance again until we scored early.

The team have to be held responsible as well by giving the fans a reason to get excited, despite fans being allowed to stand throughout the game, many around me were sitting down intermittently because they were bored with the football & no amount of singing is going to kick the players into action.

3 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

The fact you weren't there means your opinion on this specific subject is completely irrelevant 

This thread is pretty interesting, those who went agree with me, those who didn’t seem to be offended by the suggestion that it was poor last night.

Football fans ay?

Caught 20 mins on the radio in the first half and you guys were coming through. Wouldn’t say consistently loud but not as bad as the OP suggested. I can’t comment on anything else from last night.

Always throughly on balance we do well for away support in terms of being vocal. Was at Brum and thought we were good there, few appearances on the tv I’ve seen and felt similar. 

Bit of a knee jerk this to me. Think a bit of context too, the poorer brand of football despite the results and lack of signings etc doesn’t exactly inspire feel good because we are all expecting us to falter again. Not exactly party atmosphere type stuff!

8 hours ago, HayBCFC said:

I’ll stick my neck out on the line and say it, and I’m aware it won’t be the easiest post to read on a train back several pints down but here goes.

I’ve never been a fan of Lee Johnson, anybody that knows me will tell you that, but one thing that I have always done is get behind the team during the 90 minutes. I will vent my anger after.

Tonight, despite an all standing away end which looked great was completely mute until we scored.

Johnson in or out, whether you like it or not (I don’t) the players are clearly in it for him, if you don’t believe that you only have to look at those 3/4 goal line clearances in that one attack at the end.

I’m not really sure how to articulate it in the best way but **** me we have become so small time in our support, tonight until we scored the loudest chants were along the lines of “is this a library” (whilst contributing nowt to the atmosphere) “your support is effin shit” (ours was well and truly shite).

I’ve read on here before about people that say they don’t turn up to vocally back the team etc, that’s up to you, but you only have to watch Johnson’s interviews or players interviews to realise how much the support helps the players so if you’re going to turn up why not do you part and do all you can to help the team you love?

I’m aware this post will get many “aubergine” reactions, we won, I know it will, but these thoughts were going through my head at half time so I thought I shall post it regardless.

It’s not all doom and gloom, we won, and it was a cracking night. Safe journey back everyone that travelled, but food for thought perhaps.

"We have become so small time in our support"

In our vocal support, yes, we have, sadly. Not that we were ever "big time" for this - other than on the odd or big occasion - years ago, neither were we ever this bad. 

We have become so quiet and docile, so passive, vocally. So bland! So comfortable, in our comfortable seats, with our perfect, unobstructed view of the action and the wonderful, comforting amenities now easily available just a short walk away, on the concourse, from where you can watch the action. Or better still, stay at home, find the relevant stream, watch from as far as possible and never make a peep in support of your team.

Plump up the cushions....

1 minute ago, deadratinmycider said:

I watched on Robins TV and all I could hear were the Reading fans in their singing section. I think some people watching or listening on the radio have mistaken

them for City songs. Was very surprised as Reading fans are normally so quiet, just shows what can happen when the singing section are next to the away fans....

Reading fans were far from loud mate, I can assure you.

Most embarrassing game I’ve been to as an away fan, for them to only turn up in those numbers at home was mind boggling to me & I have to wonder how they are able to comply with FFP & continue to sign players for the fee of what they supposedly paid for Lucas Joao.

So strange how the same evening and experience can be interpreted so differently.

I was near the corner and thought we were pretty good! Didn’t hear reading consistently at all like some people saying? So weird. We were good, thought the support for each player was there and present, well done all 

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Reading fans were far from loud mate, I can assure you.

Most embarrassing game I’ve been to as an away fan, for them to only turn up in those numbers at home was mind boggling to me & I have to wonder how they are able to comply with FFP & continue to sign players for the fee of what they supposedly paid for Lucas Joao.

That's strange. As I said, they were loud and clear on Robins TV, guess it can sometimes depends on where the microphones are placed.

I would agree with the OP that it was struggle last night but not dire.  A few factors such as Reading having the guile to put their 'noisy' (I use that word loosely) home support in the same end, along with a drum beat which seemed to sap any enthusiasm from the City contingent. I would also say we didn't have our range of songs we have had from years back. Certainly songs didn't travel to where we were standing front left. Genuine question but is it the same core who start songs or is it random for anybody who has the desire and a few mates to back them up? If it is down to a few ring leaders to get the songs going? Have they changed in personnel? Have our old guard retired and handed over to a younger element? 

Readings home support was pitiful in quantity and looked to be made up almost entirely of teenagers next to us but they did get behind their team consistently, even when they went 1-0 down.

26 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

"We have become so small time in our support"

In our vocal support, yes, we have, sadly. Not that we were ever "big time" for this - other than on the odd or big occasion - years ago, neither were we ever this bad. 

We have become so quiet and docile, so passive, vocally. So bland! So comfortable, in our comfortable seats, with our perfect, unobstructed view of the action and the wonderful, comforting amenities now easily available just a short walk away, on the concourse, from where you can watch the action. Or better still, stay at home, find the relevant stream, watch from as far as possible and never make a peep in support of your team.

Plump up the cushions....

Light up . crack open a bottle of beer.  Laavley! Whats not to like ....maybe the football?

Btw op absolutely right also our football was not inspiring again.

I hear the argument about the uninspiring football, it's a point I have raised before and those that know me will know that I love a moan about football, but what's the point in standing there in silence? 

The way I see it is that you've spent the money to travel and for entertainment so if the football isn't doing it for you why not have fun in the stands which may have an impact on the pitch. If you don't believe atmosphere correlates to on the pitch matters I urge any of you to watch the "EFL Classic" Leeds 2-2 Bristol City which is often shown on Sky, I'd honestly not seen anything like it for a long time.

51 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Piss. Less of it. Lot less lads than normal x alcohol. Short journey like this normally means hours of drinking. Not many on the train early and not many in vans either.

Due to the short notice at the game you're probably right, that said our train back there were quite a few City fans onboard and the pubs we were in in the centre all had City in.

8 hours ago, deadratinmycider said:

I watched on Robins TV and all I could hear were the Reading fans in their singing section. I think some people watching or listening on the radio have mistaken

them for City songs. Was very surprised as Reading fans are normally so quiet, just shows what can happen when the singing section are next to the away fans....

This

Let's be honest 90% of our songs are absolute dirge. All the songs for individual players are genuinely embarrassing tbh and I include Massengo's and Palmer's in that. 

Says everything when the best songs which are sang with the most gusto are 30+ years old.

We used to have decent banter not that long ago but all imagination has been lost it seems. 

11 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

I think what has to be considered is the team performance? And by that I mean the energy that the team play with.

For months now there has been very little to get ‘bums off seats’ if you get what I mean? Our free flowing attacking football seems to of deserted us & things like having a free kick with less than a minute of the half left & about 30 yards out is the prime opportunity to get our first shot on target of the game (if my memory is correct) but instead it is played wide to our right-back & it was like the ref had even decided that if we aren’t going to bother then why should bother to stand out there anymore & off went the whistle for halftime.

It felt like we were going for the game plan of not conceding & still being 0-0 at 79 minutes & then we might have a chance again until we scored early.

The team have to be held responsible as well by giving the fans a reason to get excited, despite fans being allowed to stand throughout the game, many around me were sitting down intermittently because they were bored with the football & no amount of singing is going to kick the players into action.

We are fans (fanatics) not customers. Support (again there's a big effing clue) shouldn't be negotiable or only given with caveats... 

5 minutes ago, J-mat said:

We are fans (fanatics) not customers. Support (again there's a big effing clue) shouldn't be negotiable or only given with caveats... 

But they have a duty to at least encourage the supporters to get excited, no?

Even a shot on goal every 45 minutes or so would be a help, would it not?

After all, we keep being told that football is supposed to be an entertainment business!

19 hours ago, HayBCFC said:

I’ll stick my neck out on the line and say it, and I’m aware it won’t be the easiest post to read on a train back several pints down but here goes.

I’ve never been a fan of Lee Johnson, anybody that knows me will tell you that, but one thing that I have always done is get behind the team during the 90 minutes. I will vent my anger after.

Tonight, despite an all standing away end which looked great was completely mute until we scored.

Johnson in or out, whether you like it or not (I don’t) the players are clearly in it for him, if you don’t believe that you only have to look at those 3/4 goal line clearances in that one attack at the end.

I’m not really sure how to articulate it in the best way but **** me we have become so small time in our support, tonight until we scored the loudest chants were along the lines of “is this a library” (whilst contributing nowt to the atmosphere) “your support is effin shit” (ours was well and truly shite).

I’ve read on here before about people that say they don’t turn up to vocally back the team etc, that’s up to you, but you only have to watch Johnson’s interviews or players interviews to realise how much the support helps the players so if you’re going to turn up why not do you part and do all you can to help the team you love?

I’m aware this post will get many “aubergine” reactions, we won, I know it will, but these thoughts were going through my head at half time so I thought I shall post it regardless.

It’s not all doom and gloom, we won, and it was a cracking night. Safe journey back everyone that travelled, but food for thought perhaps.

Just watching the highlight, thought we sounded pretty good.

also how good is that defending at the end!

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

But they have a duty to at least encourage the supporters to get excited, no?

Even a shot on goal every 45 minutes or so would be a help, would it not?

It's just a shite excuse in my opinion,

This notion that sport is about entertainment is alien to me. It's about belonging to something. We don't refer to our team as "us" rather than "them" for no reason. I love my tribe and I know that my actions can have a positive impact for the team. 

What else matters? 

That's not to say you have to sing or make noise, either. It's about atmosphere. Which is just as much affected by groans of nervousness after every little mistake, screams of "get it forward" or "make a sub you midget *****" every two minutes as it is by a poorly paced rendition of drink up thy cider. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Let's be honest 90% of our songs are absolute dirge. All the songs for individual players are genuinely embarrassing tbh and I include Massengo's and Palmer's in that. 

Says everything when the best songs which are sang with the most gusto are 30+ years old.

We used to have decent banter not that long ago but all imagination has been lost it seems. 

Two days to come up with a good chant for Wells that my group will get going on Saturday as otherwise no doubt our fans will be trying to sing his name along to the effin seven nation army tune.

3 minutes ago, J-mat said:

It's just a shite excuse in my opinion,

This notion that sport is about entertainment is alien to me. It's about belonging to something. We don't refer to our team as "us" rather than "them" for no reason. I love my tribe and I know that my actions can have a positive impact for the team. 

What else matters? 

That's not to say you have to sing or make noise, either. It's about atmosphere. Which is just as much affected by groans of nervousness after every little mistake, screams of "get it forward" or "make a sub you midget *****" every two minutes as it is by a poorly paced rendition of drink up thy cider. 

I get that, I’ve been doing this for decades but at the cost it now costs, it does feel like it would be nice to get a little more excitement out of things, recent performances haven’t been the best & I don’t expect to be winning every game but a bit of intent would be appreciated every now & then.

The most excited most got was during Readings concerted effort to get an equaliser where they hit the post & Williams headed off the line (apart from our goal).

I think it’s just the way it is now, maybe it has something to do with overzealous stewarding & groups of like minded fans not being in a similar sort of area. I still find it really weird that a Reading fan was removed for what boiled down to lifting his shirt to reveal his gut to us & it’s not like Reading are in a position to remove people from their stadium, they’re hardly filling the stadium hey?

Archived