IGNORED

Just Because You’re Losing

Port Said Red

I think people will often support teams because they like what they see - sometimes that does mean winning, but I know lots of Arsenal fans who just loved Wenger's style, whether they were winning titles or not.

I personally have supported Liverpool as long as I've been supporting City (and will never apologise for it), because I thought Michael Owen was the most exciting player to watch when I started watching football. Note that this was about 2003, so a couple of years after Liverpool's "Mickey Mouse" treble. 

This attack on Ed Woodward is inexcusable, but this shouldn't be branded a "typical" United fan response. Also, there are many reasons for United fans to be angry at Woodward other than a poorer league position.

2 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I think people will often support teams because they like what they see - sometimes that does mean winning, but I know lots of Arsenal fans who just loved Wenger's style, whether they were winning titles or not.

I personally have supported Liverpool as long as I've been supporting City (and will never apologise for it), because I thought Michael Owen was the most exciting player to watch when I started watching football. Note that this was about 2003, so a couple of years after Liverpool's "Mickey Mouse" treble. 

This attack on Ed Woodward is inexcusable, but this shouldn't be branded a "typical" United fan response. Also, there are many reasons for United fans to be angry at Woodward other than a poorer league position.

Like?

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Like?

Appalling signings for a number of years, continually handing huge contracts to players like Smalling, Jones and Young, making them almost impossible to shift, the admission that he cares far more about the club commercially than on the pitch - even that's backfiring now. He's pretty dreadful in honesty.

18 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Appalling signings for a number of years, continually handing huge contracts to players like Smalling, Jones and Young, making them almost impossible to shift, the admission that he cares far more about the club commercially than on the pitch - even that's backfiring now. He's pretty dreadful in honesty.

Right.... and this happens at every club and they are protesting ?

Sums em up.

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Right.... and this happens at every club and they are protesting ?

Sums em up.

Well not at Liverpool. Which is who they're trying to get back to. 

They're spending so much money and for some reason keep giving Smalling and Jones bigger and bigger contracts. Their wage bill is absolutely huge considering the quality of the squad. You say that happens at every club, but only Arsenal really get into these sorts of contract binds like this.

12 hours ago, MrBibs said:

I was expecting this thread to be about the 3 Reading fans who got ejected 

I clicked on the thread expecting that too!

And as there isn't another thread about it, what a joke. Putting rivalry aside, completely OTT stewarding at Reading - from what I saw neither the fat bloke (banter) or his mate (protesting first ejection) should have been made to leave, or you'd be marching half the crowd out of most grounds. It then occurred to me that maybe that's where all the Reading fans had gone - was there a mass ejection of 6,000 fans before I got in there?

As for Man Utd, what an embarrassment, Arsenal fans have spent the past few years pioneering this new brand of ridiculous bed-wetting self-entitlement, Man Utd now seem to be taking it to a new level.

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

One of the best grounds in the country ?

It was one of the best grounds, but now it's starting to fall apart because it hasn't been refurbished in years. I'm not saying they're protesting in the right way, but we've protested for far less since Johnson's been at the club. The damage Woodward has done to United's legacy, success and commercial popularity is pretty shocking.

1 minute ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Well not at Liverpool. Which is who they're trying to get back to. 

They're spending so much money and for some reason keep giving Smalling and Jones bigger and bigger contracts. Their wage bill is absolutely huge considering the quality of the squad. You say that happens at every club, but only Arsenal really get into these sorts of contract binds like this.

No, its happened at most clubs at one point. Including city. Can you not remember when we got relegated last and we had lots of poor players on big contracts??

2 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

It was one of the best grounds, but now it's starting to fall apart because it hasn't been refurbished in years.

Still better than 99% of the grounds in this country.

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

No, its happened at most clubs at one point. Including city. Can you not remember when we got relegated last and we had lots of poor players on big contracts??

Still better than 99% of the grounds in this country.

Right, fine, at one point. Probably not at the financial level they're dealing at though. Also, when that sort of thing happens you'd probably want whoever was responsible to be fired, whatever club, especially when they continue to make mistakes. Also, the clubs they're trying to compete with aren't making nearly as many mistakes.

And just because something is bigger/better doesn't mean you can't complain when it's falling into disrepair. Fans will pay substantially more to go to Old Trafford than 99% of other grounds. Spurs, City and Arsenal (so at least half of their competitors) now have nicer stadiums.It's not just a case of "things go up and down", they've made bad decision after bad decision that's put them so far behind.

If you don't think that the failure to refurbish a stadium, buy new players, sort out the finances of the mediocre squad they already and, worst of all, show fans that you care about more than making money, is an issue that a season ticket holder should be able to (non-violently) protest... then I guess the conversation ends here. 

9 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Right, fine, at one point. Probably not at the financial level they're dealing at though. Also, when that sort of thing happens you'd probably want whoever was responsible to be fired, whatever club, especially when they continue to make mistakes. Also, the clubs they're trying to compete with aren't making nearly as many mistakes.

And just because something is bigger/better doesn't mean you can't complain when it's falling into disrepair. Fans will pay substantially more to go to Old Trafford than 99% of other grounds. Spurs, City and Arsenal (so at least half of their competitors) now have nicer stadiums.It's not just a case of "things go up and down", they've made bad decision after bad decision that's put them so far behind.

If you don't think that the failure to refurbish a stadium, buy new players, sort out the finances of the mediocre squad they already and, worst of all, show fans that you care about more than making money, is an issue that a season ticket holder should be able to (non-violently) protest... then I guess the conversation ends here

Missing the point.

This is par for the course, for most football fans. You know, the real football fans, that dont support a club, just because they win alot.

They had a ridiculous amount of success.

Now its there turn for a bit of mediocre period and they cant handle it.

Problem, these fans only support them for the success.

Out of order, especially having to travel a very long distance from all over the country to do it.

They need to be winning everything as it is their right!

Little kids in Bristol who have their bedrooms decked out in plastic Man U merchandise to go with their Man U kits are in tears.

As with all plastics everywhere they need "their" team to win even though there won't be an open top bus tour of Bristol City Centre. It will give them something to watch on the telly so that they can pretend to feel a part of it!

I f******** hate plastics!

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Missing the point.

This is par for the course, for most football fans. You know, the real football fans, that dont support a club, just because they win alot.

They had a ridiculous amount of success.

Now its there turn for a bit of medicroty and they cant handle it.

Problem, these fans only support them for the success.

But they have been protesting the ownership since the glazers took over when saf  was in charge so that completely disproves your argument 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

But they have been protesting the ownership since the glazers took over when saf  was in charge so that completely disproves your argument 

Not really. They targeted the chief exec. Thats not the ownership.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

So why don't they all go and support the REAL Man U?....FC United of Manchester United United FC United?

20 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

So strange that you've posted this. Proper truman show moment as I was only speaking to my colleague yesterday and showed him old trafford on street view and one corner does look proper old. Course inside the on pitch view its glorious but some external aspects and probably internal concourses need upgrading.

Mind you, spurs new ground is outstanding. Almost as good as Ashton Gate. 

1 hour ago, Luxo Jr. said:

It was one of the best grounds, but now it's starting to fall apart because it hasn't been refurbished in years. I'm not saying they're protesting in the right way, but we've protested for far less since Johnson's been at the club. The damage Woodward has done to United's legacy, success and commercial popularity is pretty shocking.

He more than doubled their commercial revenue from 2007 to 2012.

To be fair this isn’t just about them “losing” fans have been protesting about the direction of the club since the Glazers took over even when they were winning league titles and Ferguson was still involved. It’s about a lot more than just losing AF and not winning the league anymore

Edit: for clarity - these actions are completely out of order, Im not condoning them

2 hours ago, Rich_s said:

Yeah it's seriously crazy. Bell-ends and meat-heads spring to mind. The day society starts collectively behaving this way when things happen that you don't like or agree with will be the day society is in serious trouble. I cannot even start to understand what, if anything goes on in the minds of these idiots.  

People like this are almost certainly involved in an awful lot more. More than likely petty criminals the rest of the year. 

I'd be happy if they all got several years in clink for this, though I suspect it won't be custodial at all. 

Prison is cheap imo. Much cheaper than paying for all the damage, destruction, theft and fraud perpetuated when they're on the outside, not to mention the emotional misery, fear and violence. 

2 hours ago, Rich_s said:

Yeah it's seriously crazy. Bell-ends and meat-heads spring to mind. The day society starts collectively behaving this way when things happen that you don't like or agree with will be the day society is in serious trouble. I cannot even start to understand what, if anything goes on in the minds of these idiots.  

You have summed up the London protests of “Remainers” here nicely. 

Archived