IGNORED

The Blueprint (Redprint?)

mozo

After all the despair about the lack of a cohesive gameplan so far this season, I thought we finally saw glimpses of the identity we we were all hoping for.

At times last night (vs Reading) we saw the following:

Attacking intent 

A high press

Ambitious forward passes

Passing in triangles in tight spaces

Switching play quickly

Patient in possession if needed

Game management if needed (we've improved in this all season)

Committed defending (we've had that all season)

It wasn't perfect of course. There were errors at times which is to be expected. We rely a bit too much on Eliasson's delivery, and we don't look clinical in and around the box. But overall a decent performance. 

Most importantly, did we see a style of football that we need to stick to now and use as a template for our identity?

part of me does wonder if we will see a return of the high press, and the return is tactical. The high press in previous seasons has seen us burn out around this time.. maybe we will start now? I might be giving out too much credit here or looking into everything a litle too much but certainly there was a pitch shift last night and we were hungrier than we have been

That word identity. Its just a millennial buzzword which actually means absolutely nothing , a bit like company names with "solutions" at the end. No football teams have an identity as such, just maybe a way of playing, which can change regularly depending on opposition or loss of form. I wish the word had never been introduced.

fjmCity part of me does wonder if we will see a return of the high press, and the return is tactical. The high press in previous seasons has seen us burn out around this time.. maybe we will start now? City didn't press high  for seasons it was a period of a couple of months during one. One for the couple of coaches on otib to explain. This burn out thing is bollocks there is a squad of players to rotate if and its a big if they are up to it. 

6 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

That word identity. Its just a millennial buzzword which actually means absolutely nothing , a bit like company names with "solutions" at the end. No football teams have an identity as such, just maybe a way of playing, which can change regularly depending on opposition or loss of form. I wish the word had never been introduced.

I agree that buzzwords are annoying, but isn't 'identity' quicker to say than 'way of playing', and therefore improved terminology?

While I agree about signs of the high press being reinitiated, I couldn’t help but find myself getting confused with Weimann!

The amount of pointless closing down he was trying to do on his own, he was just wasting energy & this was balls that were clearly going to make it back to their keeper, he should of just stood his ground & forced the keeper to kick it long but instead he enabled them to play around him. It’s that sort of tactical nous & game management that can be crucial towards the end of the season.
Let the opposition keeper have it but mark all his options & force him to kick it long, it’s easier for Baker & Williams to defend rather than allowing the opposition to attack us at pace with the ball along the floor.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

4-3-3 would assist with this, but this is the best it's been for a while- a good start, if indeed this is the plan.

No idea why we dont play 4-3-3, or indeed 4-2-3-1. suits us perfectly imo and gives us an opportunity to get palmer and elliason on the same team. Obviously some of he below interchangeable, but surely the following is decent

Bentley

Hunt    Baker    Williams    DaSilva

Browhill  Smith

Palmer

Elliasson    Diedhou   Pato

Our pressing was very good last night. I felt we nullified their 2 creative midfielders in Ejaria and Swift very well. Swift was their worst player because of the press from Smith and Brownhill. We bullied them out of the game and a highlight for me was when Swift was subbed off. We did not give them a sniff (Bar the 2 yard sitter).

We knocked it around in neat triangles in tight spaces only because we were wholly overloaded on the right (half the pitch went unused.) A worrying proportion of balls 'knocked' remained backward in the direction of the keeper and not for reason of 'switching play'.

If we pressed high it was wholly ineffective as they easily passed it out from the back to the excellent 14 who hit at least 8 Premier crossfield passes targeting DaSilva.

OP argues were were 'patient in possesion' which is readily explained as we had few options available going forward. 

Whilst the mids and forwards did show greater commitment in their defensive game we allowed too many 'gift' chances at the back, readily gave the ball away and for the last 8 minutes were wholly under the cosh. That we didn't concede was a mixture of commitment plus a huge slice of luck. Had Reading a decent striker we wouldn't have kept a clean sheet. If that's 'game management' I'm a Dutchman.

Winning's fantastic but lest not gild the lily. We were better than of late, but that's comparative.

One thing that I do think LJ certainly deserves credit for at the moment is making the most of the centre-back situation. The reality is that neither Williams not Baker are pacey or the type of ball playing centre back that Webster was last season and this has had to have an effect on our playing style. We can't push the defensive line too high without risking getting caught in possession and we need to keep the midfield relatively tight to the centre backs in order to maintain possession.

And I do think we do have to factor in that the late sale of Webster, and the injuries to Kalas and JD have hit our playing style at the back and that - well, trotted out though it is - the injury to Afobe and failure thus far to find another centre forward who runs in behind the defence has hit our playing style at the front.

The reality is that, much as the club talk about identity, there have had to be concessions this season due to who is available and what suits them. And, terrible though our form was recently, LJ seems to have found a way to manage the available resources so we can grind out win and get into the top six. A few weeks ago, I couldn't see a future for LJ at the club and thought it was the beginning of the end. But it is only fair to say now that he is currently proving a much more adaptable manager and much better at getting team performances out of a team depleted by injuries than he often gets credit for. 

9 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

My FA assessor and now mentor would disagree.

His view is that it you cannot clearly articulate what the consistent keystone behaviours are of a team it does not have an identity. Styles change, identity fundamentally does not. 

Its not necessary for a club to have a playing identity but for some it is part of what they are and highly beneficial - The opening poster appears to be enthusiastic about the possibility of Bristol City football's future, and many posters and fans were excited in the past by football that displayed elements mentioned.

An identity can be something go be proud of, buy into and be excited by.

But no Bristol City does not have one. Its use in BCFC terms means nothing. 

5 minutes ago, WiltshireReds said:

Our pressing was very good last night. I felt we nullified their 2 creative midfielders in Ejaria and Swift very well. Swift was their worst player because of the press from Smith and Brownhill. We bullied them out of the game and a highlight for me was when Swift was subbed off. We did not give them a sniff (Bar the 2 yard sitter).

..... and the 20-yard curler that Bentley saved with a worldy!

I thoroughly enjoyed last night and I'm really pleased that I was persuaded by my son to go to the game. Strangely enough, the most exciting bit for me was when we were hanging on at the end, defending the goal as if our lives depended on it - the passion and commitment was amazing.

Just a couple of areas IMHO which could be improved with relative ease; we are still static off the ball - particularly at throw-ins or free kicks. People moan (understandably) about us tending to pass the ball sideways or backwards, but often those are the only safe options because all the forward players are stood still next to their markers. Secondly, we seem to be trying to do an 'Arsenal' and walk the ball into the net. Why dont we shoot at goal more often? One incident in particular was REALLY frustrating; with the last kick of the first half we had a free kick just outside the box and Brownhill (we ALL no he can shoot from distance) played the ball sideways and the ref blew for half time. WHY didn't he have a pop? He must have known that it would be the last move of the half!

All in all though a great night and bouncing around the bus on the way back to the station topped it off nicely!!

19 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I thoroughly enjoyed last night and I'm really pleased that I was persuaded by my son to go to the game. Strangely enough, the most exciting bit for me was when we were hanging on at the end, defending the goal as if our lives depended on it - the passion and commitment was amazing.

Just a couple of areas IMHO which could be improved with relative ease; we are still static off the ball - particularly at throw-ins or free kicks. People moan (understandably) about us tending to pass the ball sideways or backwards, but often those are the only safe options because all the forward players are stood still next to their markers. Secondly, we seem to be trying to do an 'Arsenal' and walk the ball into the net. Why dont we shoot at goal more often? One incident in particular was REALLY frustrating; with the last kick of the first half we had a free kick just outside the box and Brownhill (we ALL no he can shoot from distance) played the ball sideways and the ref blew for half time. WHY didn't he have a pop? He must have known that it would be the last move of the half!

All in all though a great night and bouncing around the bus on the way back to the station topped it off nicely!!

Game management ? keep possession go in at half time 1-0 up. Miscue a shot at goal, lose possession, get caught on the break go in at half time 1-1. (I didn't see it so no idea how obvious it was that the ref would blow as soon as the kick was taken).

58 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

No idea why we dont play 4-3-3, or indeed 4-2-3-1. suits us perfectly imo and gives us an opportunity to get palmer and elliason on the same team. Obviously some of he below interchangeable, but surely the following is decent

Bentley

Browhill  Smith

Palmer

Nice line up, the weakness with that and any back 4 is Hunt is a liability at RB. The better sides will exploit that. 

20 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Nice line up, the weakness with that and any back 4 is Hunt is a liability at RB. The better sides will exploit that. 

A slight concern I'd have as well...

Palmer defensively speaking- feels a little top heavy, Nagy or Massengo or even Rowe in there as one of the 3 would make me feel a bit more secure, both in possession- or Brownhill right, with Smith and one of them central pairing- Brownhill in some phases then can support Hunt defensively and offensively- done it before not least in the 4-4-1-1 two seasons ago and can also in other phases, drift inside to make the 3 so we don't get outnumbered- perhaps covering up for some of Palmer's weaker points a bit.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

We knocked it around in neat triangles in tight spaces only because we were wholly overloaded on the right (half the pitch went unused.) A worrying proportion of balls 'knocked' remained backward in the direction of the keeper and not for reason of 'switching play'.

If we pressed high it was wholly ineffective as they easily passed it out from the back to the excellent 14 who hit at least 8 Premier crossfield passes targeting DaSilva.

OP argues were were 'patient in possesion' which is readily explained as we had few options available going forward. 

Whilst the mids and forwards did show greater commitment in their defensive game we allowed too many 'gift' chances at the back, readily gave the ball away and for the last 8 minutes were wholly under the cosh. That we didn't concede was a mixture of commitment plus a huge slice of luck. Had Reading a decent striker we wouldn't have kept a clean sheet. If that's 'game management' I'm a Dutchman.

Winning's fantastic but lest not gild the lily. We were better than of late, but that's comparative.

You have to also credit Reading for trying to press us into making errors, which most of the season we have done so when in possession in difficult areas, but what I'm applauding is our ability to five-a-side our way out of tight spots. I also saw some decent switching play. 

I think we saw very a different game yesterday, which happens.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

The opening poster appears to be enthusiastic about the possibility of Bristol City football's future, and many posters and fans were excited in the past by football that displayed elements mentioned.

An identity can be something go be proud of, buy into and be excited by.

But no Bristol City does not have one. Its use in BCFC terms means nothing. 

What I was really trying to say is that the aggressive, attacking, committed, but technical performance I recognised last night is what we should be aiming for every game, and therefore should be part of our identity like it is Leeds and Brentford.

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

Bentley

Browhill  Smith

Palmer

A few reasons why I don't think the above would suit this team:

1. With Eliasson sat that far up the field you leave Hunt too exposed in defence and he is not a good defender - would rely on cover from Smith or Brownhill all game thus inviting pressure and leaving us out numbered in the midfield

2. No cover for Dasilva, thus preventing him from pushing into the attack/providing the wide overlap

3. You're relying on Brownhill and Smith to track back and protect the back 4 while also providing all the forward link up play which isn't feasible/will leave holes at the back. I also don't think either of them have the legs at current to play box to box midfielder role for 90 mins

4. Palmer can't play with Eliasson or Diedhiou it seems so why play him? He is also to static when he doesn't have the ball

5. Johnson won't drop Weimann because of his constant pressure and running not allowing the defence to settle and play out from the back

6. Based off current form there is very little creativity in the midfield and no one in that team particularly capable of running in behind onto a palmer through ball, therefore I can only assume the style of play suggested is to get ball wide and continue to try and ping balls onto Diedhiou or Palmers head? Better off playing free flowing football that we are, attacking freedom between the midfielders behind Diedhiou and not playing such a rigid formation where we are easily marked out due to lack of physical presence?

7. Front 3's really only work well when all 3 players are capable of getting goals. I don't see 10 goals a season in either Pato or Eliason

34 minutes ago, mozo said:

You have to also credit Reading for trying to press us into making errors, which most of the season we have done so when in possession in difficult areas, but what I'm applauding is our ability to five-a-side our way out of tight spots. I also saw some decent switching play.

Not across the width of the park you didn't. No surprise Reading harassed us (what else to expect,) but we made it easy for them by US almost exclusively congregating on the right. When we were in possession left side was devoid of both sets of players, so no surprises that's where they attempted to exploit when in possession. Not only were we wholly imbalanced, we also made it easy for them to do the things you correctly highlight.

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

What I was really trying to say is that the aggressive, attacking, committed, but technical performance I recognised last night is what we should be aiming for every game, and therefore should be part of our identity like it is Leeds and Brentford.

I did not see the game but you are (?) enthused about a possibility. Being excited about how a team will approach its football can be a benefit of having an identity.

That was my point regarding the term identity meaning absolutely nothing. An Identity has values and standards. Its intent and expectations, these may not be achieved but the principles will be followed. Note will. It ultimately does not mean the team is successful but there are obvious pros - Supporter buy in.  

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Yeah I agree. I think we'd be a very good team if we had a proper creative Midfielder. So many times last night in 1st half where we contrived to pass the ball sideways and backwards at a pedestrian pace after being in good positions. Just needed that player to break the lines and create something. 

Best we've been other than that for a while. Was a solid away performance.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Game management ? keep possession go in at half time 1-0 up. Miscue a shot at goal, lose possession, get caught on the break go in at half time 1-1. (I didn't see it so no idea how obvious it was that the ref would blow as soon as the kick was taken).

I get that, but......

It was 0-0 at half time

The clock was visible on the big TV screen above our heads - and right in Brownhill's sight when stepping up to take the kick, showing 45 minutes

The 4th official had announced 1 minute of time added on for stoppages - some of which had been played, so it's a safe bet that it would be the last kick

I'm not going to throw toys about this now - we won and it was a great night out, but it was a chance that was virtually risk-free which we squandered. We need to be smarter and take them.

Archived