IGNORED

Dave at the back?

Red Billy

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

His name is Fammy or Famara - ‘Dave’ is tiresome - talking of ‘Dave’ though, I used to think the same about Dave Rennie -  he headed away just about every corner we defended - in fact I think we played him at centre half a few times for that reason .... what a team that was ...

I think Dave Rennie usually played centre half at Leeds before we bought him...

25 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

His name is Fammy or Famara - ‘Dave’ is tiresome - talking of ‘Dave’ though, I used to think the same about Dave Rennie -  he headed away just about every corner we defended - in fact I think we played him at centre half a few times for that reason .... what a team that was ...

Rennie’s best position was centre back. Another player who got too much stick from fans. Then went on to play top flight football!  

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Rennie’s best position was centre back. Another player who got too much stick from fans. Then went on to play top flight football!  

I’m not sure I agree his best position was centre back but I agree that the stick he got was so undeserved ... he played for some very decent clubs back then ... Leicester, Leeds, Bristol City, Brum, Coventry 

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The odd thing with Fammy is when he's in our box, barely a cross gets past him and he can jump like a basketball player.  When we're in attack, his ability to jump for balls is like that of a rhino. 

Well at one end he has to get up and head in a 8ft x 24ft rectangle at the other end he just has to get his head on it. 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did he really? So what made us stick him in midfield? Or, come to think of it, didn’t he p,at in the top flight after he left us? ie Cov?

Yeah I think it was just Cov. A few years later I remember Richard Dryden getting dogs abuse as well and then played top flight for Southampton! 

5 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Well at one end he has to get up and head in a 8ft x 24ft rectangle at the other end he just has to get his head on it. 

It's anywhere in the opposition half though, not just near the goalmouth.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. Famara could make a tidy defender later in his career, when his use as a forward wanes.

Johnson clearly thinks it too. He has noted before that we have missed his defensive qualities when he's not been on the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Yeah I think it was just Cov. A few years later I remember Richard Dryden getting dogs abuse as well and then played top flight for Southampton! 

Dryden also played in the top flight for Notts County before he joined us ... and his manager there was ... Neil Warnock - top manager! Yet still hated by the clueless ones! ???

The reason he clears so many balls is because his job is to the mark the space infront of the keeper. He doesn’t actually have to mark a man. If his job was to man mark, it wouldn’t work, he’s not a great winner of duels.

ball comes into ‘zone’ he heads it clear, looks impressive.

Archived