IGNORED

Dave at the back?

Red Billy

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's anywhere in the opposition half though, not just near the goalmouth.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. Famara could make a tidy defender later in his career, when his use as a forward wanes.

Johnson clearly thinks it too. He has noted before that we have missed his defensive qualities when he's not been on the pitch. 

Just because he has defensive qualities, which LJ has rightly pointed out, does not mean he should be a defender. He is great at heading the ball away at a corner. But he is also dreadful at tackling which I would say is fairly important. 

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Just because he has defensive qualities, which LJ has rightly pointed out, does not mean he should be a defender. He is great at heading the ball away at a corner. But he is also dreadful at tackling which I would say is fairly important. 

I never suggested we should play him as a defender. Merely said it's possible that nearer the end of his career that's the end of the pitch he may end up.

3 hours ago, Red Billy said:

I know he takes a lot of criticism and personally I’m a Fam fan but I watch him some days and think he’d make a half tidy centre back. Wins everything at corners in our box!

Strangest conundrum in a long while. The closer he gets to his own goal the more technically proficient he becomes. As you say, headers he wins with ease in his own area he's nowhere near in the final third. Also loved his storming defensive run second half when they broke quickly when we'd all gone up for a corner. He was direct and nigh on the first bloke back leaving Brownhill trailing 40 yards behind. Never seen him shift as quick and beggars why he doesn't do likewise going the other way?

8 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Strangest conundrum in a long while. The closer he gets to his own goal the more technically proficient he becomes. As you say, headers he wins with ease in his own area he's nowhere near in the final third. Also loved his storming defensive run second half when they broke quickly when we'd all gone up for a corner. He was direct and nigh on the first bloke back leaving Brownhill trailing 40 yards behind. Never seen him shift as quick and beggars why he doesn't do likewise going the other way?

I would argue that of all the distances covered by all the players, Diedhiou’s will be right up there at the top end of the team for each match, he is rarely stood around doing nothing during a game.

Someone on here a while ago who doesn't rate Fam said he would make a better centre back than striker. Thought he was joking, but then realised he was serious. Incredible.

He's good at heading balls away and is not even marking anyone. And that's it! 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Intelligence”? Calling a hugely successful football man ‘Colin ******’ ?! Very limited intelligence ... at best 

Yeh, ok, we get it.......your a fan.

Although I have no axe to grind with you or 'Colin' (sic), I'm really not sure why you have to incessantly keep banging the NW drum. It takes alot away from the point your making, the over egging.

Just for disclosure, I've never found myself wanting him here as HC/Manager; just personal preference I guess, but respect your opinion.

Just don't keep relentlessly banging on about it ay? ? 

11 hours ago, Red Billy said:

I know he takes a lot of criticism and personally I’m a Fam fan but I watch him some days and think he’d make a half tidy centre back. Wins everything at corners in our box!

No, he can’t tackle and normally gets carded or sent off,

would be a liability as a centre half (apart from defending corners)

12 hours ago, ITK..... said:

Why call him Dave ? 

Its something that goes back Donkeys yonks at the ground when a City player was taking a throw or free kick. A lot of supporters would shout "Come on Dave". Obviously following the Only Fools episode with Trigger. Was amusing at the time.

3 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

Yeh, ok, we get it.......your a fan.

Although I have no axe to grind with you or 'Colin' (sic), I'm really not sure why you have to incessantly keep banging the NW drum. It takes alot away from the point your making, the over egging.

Just for disclosure, I've never found myself wanting him here as HC/Manager; just personal preference I guess, but respect your opinion.

Just don't keep relentlessly banging on about it ay? ? 

Fair enough, point taken! 

11 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

I would argue that of all the distances covered by all the players, Diedhiou’s will be right up there at the top end of the team for each match, he is rarely stood around doing nothing during a game.

He's static in the final third, sadly. He's also often caught offside or unable to receive the ball given he's pretty immobile in and around the opponent's box. Which makes it all the more curious why it should be he becomes increasingly mobile the nearer he gets toward his own goal?

34 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

He's static in the final third, sadly. He's also often caught offside or unable to receive the ball given he's pretty immobile in and around the opponent's box. Which makes it all the more curious why it should be he becomes increasingly mobile the nearer he gets toward his own goal?

Probably because he doesn’t have to watch his runs in our own penalty area, he doesn’t have to worry about getting caught offside & while defending he’s predominantly only marking one player or even just space but while he’s in the oppositions penalty area he is seen as the danger man so is being marked & having his runs blocked by more than one player.

Defending & attacking are two completely different facets, you can’t compare the stats of each because they just don’t compare!

44 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Probably because he doesn’t have to watch his runs in our own penalty area,

I thought something similar so watching him closely here's my pennyworth:

You get greater height, power and authority when moving to meet the ball. So in defense he's forced to move in having to track and pick up his man, which he seems to be able to discharge with aplomb.

Upfront you invariably find him static in the shadow of his marker, always holding shirts, often in a hug and he rarely attempts to move, get in front or drag his opponent around.  Rather, he relies upon blatantly pushing his opponent away last minute, which is why he's penalised so often, gets zilch height and wins little. He's rarely picked up by more than one man given the one tasked normally has him in his pocket.  

And that's what I can't understand why the coaches aren't impressing upon him. If it works one end of the park why doesn't he do likewise the other? He moves, just not in or around the opponent's box for if he did so he has the potential to be one hell of a player.

6 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I thought something similar so watching him closely here's my pennyworth:

You get greater height, power and authority when moving to meet the ball. So in defense he's forced to move in having to track and pick up his man, which he seems to be able to discharge with aplomb.

Upfront you invariably find him static in the shadow of his marker, always holding shirts, often in a hug and he rarely attempts to move, get in front or drag his opponent around.  Rather, he relies upon blatantly pushing his opponent away last minute, which is why he's penalised so often, gets zilch height and wins little. He's rarely picked up by more than one man given the one tasked normally has him in his pocket.  

And that's what I can't understand why the coaches aren't impressing upon him. If it works one end of the park why doesn't he do likewise the other? He moves, just not in or around the opponent's box for if he did so he has the potential to be one hell of a player.

Maybe the holding you allude to isn’t just a one way thing, the defender is also holding him so as to stop him from being able to get away & he feel the needs to hold back rather than feeling like he’s being bullied?

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s a very unfunny joke - like calling the most successful manager ever in our game (in terms of promotions) ‘Colin’ ????

I wonder if it is just us who call him Colin?  I've referred to him (Neil) several times to fans of Cardiff and Fulham and probably others as Colin and they don't know who I am talking about 

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Maybe the holding you allude to isn’t just a one way thing, the defender is also holding him so as to stop him from being able to get away & he feel the needs to hold back rather than feeling like he’s being bullied?

All the more reason to move around as that demonstrates to the officials the defender's infringement, save he doesn't. Seems to me for a big bloke he's quite shy and retiring when being bossed about.

Archived