IGNORED

New Captain

internetjef

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I can see Smith getting another year, assuming he steered clear of a big injury.

But if he does can you see him playing much? You would think with Morrell coming back that him and Nagy would be ahead of Smith in the pecking order for his position. Then we have another Bailey Wright situation. 

I love Korey, but if we were to release him to free up wages for another Kalas/Wells level signing, I personally think it’s a no brainer. 

3 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Not doubting you but sounds odd, played a few games this year and would’ve thought we’d want to keep him? Perhaps he has an option for another year which has gone under the radar a bit?

Possibly or it could be his high wages if we feel there is better value for the money?

222B0555-1213-4E82-8ED7-D924AFC9A097.png

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Weimann, can I ask why you’d consider him? He’d be one of the last players on my list candidates.

I'm pretty sure I heard in an interview with another player that Weimann has the role of being in the refs ear all the time, always appealing, trying to influence the ref, so I don't think our captain should have the same role. Let Weimann do the dirty work.

For me it would be Williams or Smith for the rest of season.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Captain on the pitch isn’t that important really. It’s off the pitch where it matters. Got to be a good go between regarding manager and players. 

Do we still divide the captaincy between 'team' and 'club' captain?

I was under the impression Brownhill was the team captain and Wright was the club captain. Wouldn't surprise me to see us make Smith the club captain (also team if he plays) with someone else as team captain when he doesn't.

I was surprised that Brownhill was team captain really, never seemed the type based on what I saw of his personality.

8 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Think you’ve misread the link, unless  this year really is 2021 and I’ve Been asleep for 12 months!

I’m in hospital mate & been medicated up since about midnight, in all honesty I don’t know what day it is let alone what year it is! I guess I got it wrong then ??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Do we still divide the captaincy between 'team' and 'club' captain?

I was under the impression Brownhill was the team captain and Wright was the club captain. Wouldn't surprise me to see us make Smith the club captain (also team if he plays) with someone else as team captain when he doesn't.

I was surprised that Brownhill was team captain really, never seemed the type based on what I saw of his personality.

I’m not sure anymore. I think Smith is the obvious for club and team captain as he’s been there done that . Vice captain up for debate. Hard to suggest players really as people don’t know their personality or if they want it. Loads used to say Flint. There is a reason flint has never once been a captain for any club he has played for despite looking like captain material 

14 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I’m not sure anymore. I think Smith is the obvious for club and team captain as he’s been there done that . Vice captain up for debate. Hard to suggest players really as people don’t know their personality or if they want it. Loads used to say Flint. There is a reason flint has never once been a captain for any club he has played for despite looking like captain material 

That's true, we only get a small snapshot of their personalities through interview and social media - can be reasonably revealing though. Good point about Flint; conversely I thought it was quite clear from his social media he wasn't captain material. 

I think Smith is the obvious choice really, luckily there's a few candidates who can fill in if he doesn't play.

9 hours ago, Sydneybcfc said:

Seems to me who the on pitch captain is now fairly irrelevant, with the manager yelling instructions from the touchline there isn't that big a role for a captain as ideally we should have many leaders on the pitch armband or not.

Its probably more important for the off field role in being the spokesman for the players and general go to experienced head for the younger players, fairly sure Carey was still 'Club captain' in his final season when he barely played as his impact as captain off field was where it was most useful. 

That woulkd be true if LJ could tear himself away from the fourth official to actually give some instructions and motivation

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think it makes any difference who is captain.

4 hours ago, Super said:

Really is of no importance.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Captain on the pitch isn’t that important really. It’s off the pitch where it matters. Got to be a good go between regarding manager and players. 

Have a listen to this if you don’t already.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/that-peter-crouch-podcast/id1436030381#episodeGuid=urn%3Abbc%3Apodcast%3Ap07zs4vl

All about captains.  

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah it’s a good listen.  Most people in football who talk about Captains say that it’s more important off the field than on. 

Only fans and media really care who is captain on the pitch 

32 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Yeah it’s a good listen.  Most people in football who talk about Captains say that it’s more important off the field than on. 

Only fans and media really care who is captain on the pitch 

I think there are bits like being in the ref’d ear that are important, but ideally you just want a bunch of players on the pitch to drive themselves and each other without needing an armband.

What is obvious is when a team has no / very few leaders.  We are like that at times.

I’m told by someone that Ashley Williams influence on the pitch and dressing room pre-game/ h-t (as well as Failand), is not to be under-estimated.

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Ashley Williams all day long!...The bloke doesn’t stop talking/shouting anyway!!

It's intellivent tbh, they all need to be captains going into the final push, i suggest Smith becuase how he's come back to fight again for the shirt since horror injuries is inspiring, Williams is obvious choice too, Kalas also and what about Fam? Jay, who is skipper of the Eng u21's. Bentley in with a shout too and if we're goin on effort for the cause its Andi.

so idk, make them all captains for the rest of the season

Archived