IGNORED

New Captain

internetjef

48 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

It's intellivent tbh, they all need to be captains going into the final push, i suggest Smith becuase how he's come back to fight again for the shirt since horror injuries is inspiring, Williams is obvious choice too, Kalas also and what about Fam? Jay, who is skipper of the Eng u21's. Bentley in with a shout too and if we're goin on effort for the cause its Andi.

so idk, make them all captains for the rest of the season

Need a team of many leaders rather than one. Imo it's so irrelevant you don't even need one.

Could even give it to Weimann, but then I guess you don't want him to play so maybe not! 

This is Gary Linekers view on captains:

'The English obsession with the captaincy is bizarre. It's purely an off the field role. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference in games'

I have always agreed with that view. As have some managers it seems. Giving it to the most capped player for example.

This country has always built up some weird importance to the role.

Let's look at Korey Smith. He was not captain in our last game.

He was shouting all game. Absolute superb leadership skills, seems like he demands levels from others on the pitch. Is not scared of being brave on the ball and leads by example in his work rate and courage on and off the ball.

Put an armband on his arm and call him captain, what does he do differently?Nothing. He does exactly the same. He's a leader regardless of whether he is officially captain or not.

Ashley Williams the same as well as any others who act like leaders on the pitch. As long as everyone is helping each other, communicating. That's all that matters.

I always find the fuss about who is captain goes completely over the top. Look at the ridiculous number of column inches talked about who should be England captain. Once they’re on the pitch you should have 11 captains. It’s more of a figurehead position really, modern day captains aren’t like they were in the days of Bremner etc 

6 hours ago, soultrader said:

Agreed .... Smith is a strong name ... they're usually (heroic) (handsome) winners

Oh .. and modest too

If not sometimes forgetful

6 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I think I know what YOUR surname is :laugh:

Yes, but I think he probably forgets what his surname is!!!

:innocent06:

On 31/01/2020 at 20:30, marcofisher said:

Imagine the Bristol Live headline when he gets spotted at his local Bedminster curry house.

”Captain Morgan’s Spiced” 

Could tie it in with a Cook Book or BCFC food blog

Anyone have Mark Astons email?  

I feel I'm doing his job for him here   ?

83824554_2582173838548025_1744621153063796736_n.jpg

On 31/01/2020 at 09:28, RedDave said:

Captain on the pitch isn’t that important really. It’s off the pitch where it matters. Got to be a good go between regarding manager and players. 

Totally disagree - sorry. I played the game (admittedly only Wiltshire league) and I REALLY appreciated a good captain. 
I played left wing/midfield and always had my best games if there was a defender behind me calling the game. I played with a few and there were one or two who were superb and I knew exactly where I was supposed to be with them calling the game so I always knew when I could do what I wanted or when I was needed to track back. 
IMHO a captain should be a defender - ideally a centre-back. A Centre-mid might be ok but GK is too far back and a striker too far forward so a lot of action is behind him. 
with this in mind I’d choose Williams first with Smith close second. 

44 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Totally disagree - sorry. I played the game (admittedly only Wiltshire league) and I REALLY appreciated a good captain. 
I played left wing/midfield and always had my best games if there was a defender behind me calling the game. I played with a few and there were one or two who were superb and I knew exactly where I was supposed to be with them calling the game so I always knew when I could do what I wanted or when I was needed to track back. 
IMHO a captain should be a defender - ideally a centre-back. A Centre-mid might be ok but GK is too far back and a striker too far forward so a lot of action is behind him. 

No worries you disagree. Taking my opinion from those of professionals who played at the very top but saying that I am sure there are professionals who agree with you, I just haven’t heard them say it 

53 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

That person can do all those things without being captain.

Williams shouts all game, Korey shouts all game. 

I don't see what difference it makes which one has the armband. If Williams had it he wouldn't shout anything different.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't see what difference it makes which one has the armband. If Williams had it he wouldn't shout anything different.

Correct....but you need at least someone leading, hopefully several

Some teams lack any leaders (not to be confused with captains)....us at times in the past.

The Captain is typically a leader (in many guises - not always a shouter and bawler)

51 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Kilkenny shouted all game. It didn’t make him a leader. 
All players shout to each other - and rightly so, but you need a leader on the field who is authority over the other players. 
the manager is restricted to his technical area and in situations like defending a quick free kick, he wouldn’t have time or means to get his message to the team. 
of course it’s just my opinion based on my own experience playing the game and you have yours which is equally valid, but there is a reason why all clubs appoint a captain and the recipient of the armband really appreciates it. 

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Sorry about how your football career nosedived to the Wiltshire league. However I agree with you that having a player that can see forward more often than not is a big plus, which is why captains do tend to be in the middle at the back. My pick is Williams, however I’m sure Korey would be great long term. 

21 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Kilkenny shouted all game. It didn’t make him a leader. 
All players shout to each other - and rightly so, but you need a leader on the field who is authority over the other players. 
the manager is restricted to his technical area and in situations like defending a quick free kick, he wouldn’t have time or means to get his message to the team. 
of course it’s just my opinion based on my own experience playing the game and you have yours which is equally valid, but there is a reason why all clubs appoint a captain and the recipient of the armband really appreciates it. 

Kilkenny might have been shouting very good instructions, making him a very good leader. Who knows what he was shouting. Plenty of pointing and shouting, I am sure the manager didn't mind the instructions he was giving to others.

The more vocal players on the pitch the better if they are all helping each other.

Williams and Korey seem to be the most vocal from what I can see. Give the armband to anyone in that team and they will still be the most vocal and best leaders of the side.

51 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Sorry about how your football career nosedived to the Wiltshire league. However I agree with you that having a player that can see forward more often than not is a big plus, which is why captains do tend to be in the middle at the back. My pick is Williams, however I’m sure Korey would be great long term. 

Nosedived? That was the peak of my playing career! ?

I was actually 40 at the time mind!

Archived