IGNORED

Now or never for LJ

old_eastender

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

I may add...just because we've made quality signings, they would have to hit the ground running.

Football is not about individuals. It's a team strategy game. And these players will need time to integrate. Individual brilliance or mistakes will happen.

It's not a case of we've brought quality so we will automatically improve.

Not every player fits a club...regardless of talent.

It's a lottery...it's a short term strategy that we hope will work. No pre season... absolutely nothing. Purely learning on the job so to speak.

We also have to play against teams who have also 'strengthened'...so it in theory equals out.

I was a bit concerned that Markus hasn't played all season, he has been training with Rosenborg though

22 minutes ago, Fuzz The Dog said:

Agree with this. He needs to get the fans back on board as well. If he can realise the potential of this squad and rekindle our enthusiasm then really there’s no excuse. 

Many of the fans are, and have always been, on board.

Myself included!

Great signings and more than I ever thought would happen but my overall issues are the following:

Top 6 finish and not go up - the loan signings will probably be gone back, and if they have played a major part then LJ will want more money to replace them. He will also say it is improvement and therefore demand another season to rebuild again.

Our wage bill must be ridiculous - hopefully we are well within the FFP rules, or could all this come back to bite us in the future?

Unhappy players - how many unhappy players will we have now? How can you keep the likes of Palmer, Massengo, Nagy, COD happy who probably thought they were going to be main players through the season, yet are now seemingly being looked past with Smith and Pato back. I know players have to prove themselves but our squad is just way, way too big.

Youth and ones for the future - they must all be thinking they have no chance. Taylor Moore out on loan again seems crazy to me, after playing some decent games, and how is he going to get Championship experience when he is dropped at the first opportunity and now shipped out again. Taylor Moore, Morrell, Walsh, Bakinson must look from the outside and wonder what is the point of being here at all?

Basically - just finish top 2 and forget that rubbish I just typed...

53 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Best Jan transfer window dealings I can recall; goal scorer with nearly a 1 in 2 ratio this season, international seasoned power play midfielder, much vaunted ball playing strong centre back, even with Josh gone we are considerably stronger overall.

SL has done his bit, MA too, time for LJ. We sit in 6th, and for my money it would be abject failure on his part if we now don't finish in the top 6. If he can't achieve that this season, with the squad at his disposal I don't believe he ever will.

'Tombola is having a major service as we speak...

Football bingo without the annoying squeek......

Yep. Like a game of tennis.

It looked like LJ was going to stumble and fall trying to return in December but just got it over the net. MA returned it and LJ smashed a volley back to MA in January. Now, unbelievably MA has chipped a good back- hand slice return.

Now LJ, just smash a winner down the line will you. 

In in my view, could be a superb window. Addresses all my previous concerns about this previously unbalanced squad. It looks like we’ve added the power, pace and physical presence to give it a right go. The passion we’ll have to see, but the interviews sounded positive on that front as well.

Bravo The Lansdown’s for continuing to provide the support and backing.

MA/LJ a bit late on identifying the weaknesses but it looks like we may have got there at last. Delivery time. 

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Last summer - Kalas, Dasilva, Rowe, Nagy, Massengo and Afobe?

How many games have those players missed through injury I wonder?

In particular, where would we be if Kalas, Dasilva and Afobe had been able to play every game? And in Kalas' case, been fully fit when he did play?

My only concern is how does he keep everybody happy?

Only 14 get a game (assuming we use all three subs). We still have a large squad (in my opinion). Some won't make the bench. Weimann for example. Joint top scorer. Will he get much game time?

Let's not forget Marley as well ?

I guess winning is the key.

(Taken from the "Squad Updates" thread).

Goalkeepers

Niki Maenpaa (2020) Daniel Bentley (2023) 

Rene Gilmartin (2021) Jojo Wollacott (2021)

(4)

Full Backs

Jack Hunt (2021) Jay Dasilva (2023) Pedro Pereira (season long loan from Benfica)

(3)

Central Defenders

Nathan Baker (2021)  Tomas Kalas (2023) Ashley Williams (2020). Filip Benkovic (loan from Leicester City)

Zak Vyner - (Contracted until 2021 with option of another year).

(5)

Central Midfielders

Korey Smith (2020)   Tommy Rowe (2021) 

Kasey Palmer (2023) Han-Noah Massengo (2023) Adam Nagy (2022 - option of a further year) Markus Henriksen (on loan from Hull City)

(6)

Wide Midfielders/Wingers/Attacking Midfielders

Callum O'Dowda (2022 with option of another year) Marley Watkins (2021) Niclas Eliasson (2020) Jamie Paterson (2021)

(4)

Strikers

Famara Diedhiou (2021) Andreas Weimann (2021 - Option of further year) 

Saikou Janneh (2023 with option of a further year)  Benik Afobe (loan) Nahki Wells (2023)

59 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

I was thinking the same, this is it for him now and if we don’t go up, I’m not sure he will be here start of August, he’s never brought in so much quality in a window, it either works or it doesn’t

I'm not sure if not getting promoted should cost him his job. Reaching the play offs however is now the minimum expectation. 

The League is ridiculously competitive these players need to gel and that could take a game or two. There is no reason not to make Play offs but the most important thing is the first team squad is getting stronger and stronger only a matter of time before we’re in the premier league

Good signings for us for sure but who else in the top 10 will think they have improved their chances with new additions. It's basically as you were with all to play for. We are top 6 but not very convincing at home. That has to improve if we are to push higher. As has been said above we now have some good players who wont feature much. Keeping the squad happy Wii be tough for LJ and his assistants.

1 minute ago, marmite said:

Good signings for us for sure but who else in the top 10 will think they have improved their chances with new additions. It's basically as you were with all to play for. We are top 6 but not very convincing at home. That has to improve if we are to push higher. As has been said above we now have some good players who wont feature much. Keeping the squad happy Wii be tough for LJ and his assistants.

Try vegimite 

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

How many games have those players missed through injury I wonder?

In particular, where would we be if Kalas, Dasilva and Afobe had been able to play every game? And in Kalas' case, been fully fit when he did play?

When LJ's critics were out in force before Christmas, this was a factor many overlooked.

Many suggested that LJ did not know his best 11, but I think the problem was that he did know his best 11 but many of them spent most/all of the first half of the season in the treatment room. 

8 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Only 14 get a game (assuming we use all three subs). We still have a large squad (in my opinion). Some won't make the bench. Weimann for example. Joint top scorer. Will he get much game time?

Goalkeepers

(4)

Full Backs

Jack Hunt (2021) Jay Dasilva (2023) Pedro Pereira (season long loan from Benfica)

(3)

Central Defenders

Nathan Baker (2021)  Tomas Kalas (2023) Ashley Williams (2020). Filip Benkovic (loan from Leicester City)

(5)

Central Midfielders

Kasey Palmer (2023) Han-Noah Massengo (2023) Adam Nagy (2022 - option of a further year) Markus Henriksen (on loan from Hull City)

(6)

Callum O'Dowda (2022 with option of another year) Marley Watkins (2021) Niclas Eliasson (2020) Jamie Paterson (2021)

(4)

Strikers

Saikou Janneh (2023 with option of a further year)  Benik Afobe (loan) Nahki Wells (2023)

We can’t keep everyone happy and nor should we bend over backwards to do so. If you get your chance make sure you take it. Palmer and COD are probably annoyed they aren’t in but when they’ve played they have generally been lacking.  Up to them as far as I’m concerned.  

59 minutes ago, spudski said:

Finish top 6, then lose in the play offs?

Still be happy?

Really can't stand the play offs...it gives false hope. Ok only 1 in 4 can go up. Odds more likely to damage the Club.

Gotta aim top 2 imo.

I'll chime in... I'd be gutted if we lost in the play offs but I'd later reflect on a great end to the season. 

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

I may add...just because we've made quality signings, they would have to hit the ground running.

Football is not about individuals. It's a team strategy game. And these players will need time to integrate. Individual brilliance or mistakes will happen.

It's not a case of we've brought quality so we will automatically improve.

Not every player fits a club...regardless of talent.

It's a lottery...it's a short term strategy that we hope will work. No pre season... absolutely nothing. Purely learning on the job so to speak.

We also have to play against teams who have also 'strengthened'...so it in theory equals out.

Agree, but football is also a momentum game and we've got it swinging back in our favour. Football is generally easier when you're buzzing.

The most open championship I can remember for a long time. I like the sound of the players we’ve brought in, strengthening the spine of the team. 

If we can build on the three clean sheets and wins of the last few matches then we have a real chance of being in the mix come end of season. Automatics have to be the aim, but realistically I think we’re a fair way off that. I’d be very happy with play offs and it would again represent improvement under LJ. 

Steady progress is good for me. Consider how far we’ve come in 5 years for a moment. Stadium, facilities, calibre of player we are attracting and the standard of teams that we are beating to sign them. A great deal of that credit needs to go to LJ. 

I have a really good feeling about this.

29 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I do think this window has signalled a bit of a step change in our owner`s outlook and we can now realistically be seen as `going for it`. Top six shouldn`t be beyond us now but I won`t be painting up any bedsheets if we finish 7th or 8th.

I’ll be wetting bedsheets if we do ?

29 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Exactly.  My concern is we lose 2-3 and half the fans turn again. If we are all united till June it will give us a better chance of finishing top six.  The home atmosphere has to improve in my opinion 

Mate, not everyone turns on a bad result or two - certainly not half the fanbase. I suppose it might seem like that becasue it is so quiet at the Gate! There are far too many people who treat football as a spectator rather than participation sport. You can't really blame the youngsters who weren't around back in the days when an aggressive (in a positive way) crowd could really inspire the boys. They just need to learn to react more, more of the time. C'MON.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

We can’t keep everyone happy and nor should we bend over backwards to do so. If you get your chance make sure you take it. Palmer and COD are probably annoyed they aren’t in but when they’ve played they have generally been lacking.  Up to them as far as I’m concerned.  

Don't disagree with you regarding these two but Diédhiou &/or Weimann ?

13 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Goalkeepers

(4)

Full Backs

(3)

Central Defenders

(5)

Central Midfielders

(6)

(4)

Strikers

I'd imagine most players have a healthy promotion bonus in their contracts, I also think there will be a collective squad promotion bonus. I'm sure if we push ourselves up the league and get promotion, those bonuses will keep them happy.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'll chime in... I'd be gutted if we lost in the play offs but I'd later reflect on a great end to the season. 

Agree, but football is also a momentum game and we've got it swinging back in our favour. Football is generally easier when you're buzzing.

I totally agree.

I just feel failing in the play offs is more detrimental to a Club.

Firstly the disappointment and getting back up to being positive again.

Secondly the extra pressure it creates the next season with expectations.

My personal preference is to either finish top 2 or 7th :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I'd imagine most players have a healthy promotion bonus in their contracts, I also think there will be a collective squad promotion bonus. I'm sure if we push ourselves up the league and get promotion, those bonuses will keep them happy.

Hence, "I guess winning is key". What happens if we drop away? Can Lee keep everyone happy? I guess time will tell (hypothetical question really as we will keep winning) ☺

Archived