IGNORED

Now or never for LJ

old_eastender

35 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think Palmer suffered more than most as a result of Afobe's injury. He, Afobe and Weimann were just starting to gel when Afobe was crocked and I don't think the way we have played since has really suited Palmer's style, and visa versa.

Wells appears to be the type of front man that should bring out the best of Palmer, but the acid test is whether Palmer can make the opportunity tell, if he gets his chance with Wells up front.

I always say don’t sign a player that can only play in one style and cannot adapt. Palmer is too one dimensional 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

The aim will be top 2. But if we don’t finish top 2 it would be nonsense to call that a failure (I appreciate you haven’t done that).

Top six would be a very good achievement so I cannot see how finishing 7th would be a failure.  A lot of football is about fine margins 

Id consider anything outside playoffs a failure now Dave.

We must be paying top 10 wages now, between the likes Afobe still on the wage bill - I also doubt Blackpool will cover TM full wages, same for Taylor at Oxford, as well as others out on loan. Then you have the academy running costs.

Wells must be on a decent wedge, same for Henrikson being a Norweigen international, add Benkovic - then you have the likes of DaSilva, Palmer, Pereira, Bentley. It all eventually adds up, and we havent cut the squad down much.

The issue for me is that will this mean more shuffling and tinkering on LJs part just when we found a rythm? Either way trimming will be needed end of the season if we sign Henrikson. Can see someone like Walsh or Nagy having to leave, possibly Diedhiou, then you have Taylor, Wright, Smudge, all OoC.

Im a bit worried of the impact of this season on our FFP turnover in regards to wages, even with the incoming funds from transfers, to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Id consider anything outside playoffs a failure now Dave.

We must be paying top 10 wages now, between the likes Afobe still on the wage bill - I also doubt Blackpool will cover TM full wages, same for Taylor at Oxford, as well as others out on loan. Then you have the academy running costs.

Wells must be on a decent wedge, same for Henrikson being a Norweigen international, add Benkovic - then you have the likes of DaSilva, Palmer, Pereira, Bentley. It all eventually adds up, and we havent cut the squad down much.

The issue for me is that will this mean more shuffling and tinkering on LJs part just when we found a rythm? Either way trimming will be needed end of the season if we sign Henrikson. Can see someone like Walsh or Nagy having to leave, possibly Diedhiou, then you have Taylor, Wright, Smudge, all OoC.

Im a bit worried of the impact of this season on our FFP turnover in regards to wages, even with the incoming funds from transfers, to be honest.

All you can do is trust Mark Ashton on FFP. He firmly stated there is no issue. 

Hopefully if we finish 7th or 8th the fans won’t turn. 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

When LJ's critics were out in force before Christmas, this was a factor many overlooked.

Many suggested that LJ did not know his best 11, but I think the problem was that he did know his best 11 but many of them spent most/all of the first half of the season in the treatment room. 

Very good point.  I admit to leaning towards LJ tenure coming to an end,  But this has been (on the face of it) a fine transfer window.  And at the end of the day I just want City to win.  So come on Little Lee, get us into the top 6!  

Steve Lansdown has a record of backing mangers as long as the there is progress on the pitch. Last year we finished just outside the playoffs and as success in football is ultimately determined by results and league positions then I'd assume that he'd now expect us to finish a little higher.   

Earlier in the season we had the caveat of losing Webster and the injuries to key players however, despite that, the team got through that and currently lie in sixth - that's to the credit of LJ and the players.  As a squad we're in a stronger position than several months ago though, especially in the much needed forward area and we've also added to our defence  So I think playoffs will now be the genuine expectation and anything less would be looked on badly and we'd almost certainly be looking for someone else to take us to the next level if that happened.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

When LJ's critics were out in force before Christmas, this was a factor many overlooked.

Many suggested that LJ did not know his best 11, but I think the problem was that he did know his best 11 but many of them spent most/all of the first half of the season in the treatment room. 

Factors don't count when you have an agenda.

Losing the dressing room was bad though....?

Can I just ask (just for once) we try and do what supporters are supposed to do and SUPPORT. 

PLEASE cut down on the negativity at least until it's mathematically impossible to make the playoffs.

Let's get behind the boys, you never know......

3 hours ago, marmite said:

I have. Awful stuff. ?

I'm indifferent to Marmite. I can take it or leave it, neither like nor dislike it. 

3 hours ago, marmite said:

I have. Awful stuff. ?

I'm indifferent to Marmite. I can take it or leave it, neither like nor dislike it. 

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Best Jan transfer window dealings I can recall; goal scorer with nearly a 1 in 2 ratio this season, international seasoned power play midfielder, much vaunted ball playing strong centre back, even with Josh gone we are considerably stronger overall.

SL has done his bit, MA too, time for LJ. We sit in 6th, and for my money it would be abject failure on his part if we now don't finish in the top 6. If he can't achieve that this season, with the squad at his disposal I don't believe he ever will.

I suspect the other teams around us will have a big say in whether we make top 6 or not. 

WBA, Leeds, Brentford, and Fulham all better teams than us imo despite the new additions.

We are fighting for 2 places imo with quite a few others.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

I suspect the other teams around us will have a big say in whether we make top 6 or not. 

WBA, Leeds, Brentford, and Fulham all better teams than us imo despite the new additions.

We are fighting for 2 places imo with quite a few others.

City 20-1 for promotion seems like the bookies agree with you

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

If we play good football and we end up a bit unfortunate then I wouldn't be furious at him for not making top 6.

There's plenty of very tough competition for that top 6. Won't be easy.

Exactly.

Expectations are unreasonably high after these three signings.

The acid test for me is whether performances at one can improve. We had good players before the window and they weren’t playing well At home (for 18 months). 

We now have even better players. Like Others have said above, I’d be much more inclined to accept no progress if the good football came back. 

Archived