IGNORED

Congratulations to all at City for these signings

southvillekiddy

Yep we’ve previously bemoaned our January business but this window has been brilliant, well done all concerned....

Three great additions, without breaking the bank 

Only losing Josh and getting a decent fee

Sound outgoing loans which will provide experience to very promising players (feel disappointed for TM who I thought  was oven-ready) 

Zak recalled and if fit to be in squad instead of AS as home grown player

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Best ever January window for us. I've criticised heavily before, especially after the 2019 window but fair play to all concerned for these high quality signings.

Maybe this season we can .........................

Agree great signings. I was a bit optimistic and was ready to post my disappointment on feb the 1st. The signings are a massive boost to all and lets get behind LJ  and get the positive posts coming. 

Oh “ maybe this season we can” of course we can

Yep.....a very decent window for sure. A striker, midfielder and defender along the spine of the team.

Having experienced many January windows as a fan it’s really no surprise to me that most of the activity was in the later part on the month including the last day - par for the course I’d say.

Great signings, but honestly there are some people who believe we’ve been handed the Premiership on a plate and are going to hold LJ to account to get us there, with knives ready if he doesn’t. 
we aren’t the only club to do business this January - our promotion rivals have done some too, so I don’t expect the run-in to get any easier than it has been to-date. 

2 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Great signings, but honestly there are some people who believe we’ve been handed the Premiership on a plate and are going to hold LJ to account to get us there, with knives ready if he doesn’t. 
we aren’t the only club to do business this January - our promotion rivals have done some too, so I don’t expect the run-in to get any easier than it has been to-date. 

Excellent point, we have made three decent signings but also lost two 'captains' in Wright and Brownhill. Expectations need to be managed. I would be delighted if City held onto sixth spot and improved league position for the 7 th season in a row.

Getting the players is great but their is no guarantee they will hit the ground running!

As for Josh we brought low added value and sold high. That’s the plan due to FFP. 

I just hope that it improves the atmosphere in the ground which I think is poor to say the lease. Some fans will never  be happy with LJ and just want a big name as manager but that is no guarantee of getting to the promised land. 

8 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Excellent point, we have made three decent signings but also lost two 'captains' in Wright and Brownhill. Expectations need to be managed. I would be delighted if City held onto sixth spot and improved league position for the 7 th season in a row.

Understand mate but there is a potential new (temporary but I hope not) captain in Henriksen (captain of Hull?) right in the midfield heart of the team

Brilliant to see a January window when the deficiencies we’ve all been bemoaning, all appear to have been addressed by bringing in what looks like improvements.  

Doesn’t guarantee it will actually translate to improvement on the pitch, but for once, there’s no grounds for criticising the club for not ‘going for it’ in the Jan window.

Got to say, MA does make me cringe with some of the stuff he comes out with at times, but he sure as hell knows how to deal with transfers, so top job that man!

He’s actually proving to be a real asset to this club.

Let’s pray these players stay fit. We were cursed at the beginning of this season. Let’s also see how they gel with the team. The team needed a bit of freshening up. 

Patersons return has coincided with a pick up in form and we are now back in the mix, and with Afobe possibly making a return before the season is out it might just be the lift we need at the right time?

Also, keeping Eliasson at the Gate was also vitally important because we couldn’t replace that creativity if he had departed.

I am excited about the run in now and if we can continue to build momentum then who knows where we might end up?

You need a slice of luck in this game too, so let’s hope that for once the gods are favourable to us for once.

Up the City! 

Half way through this week things were looking pretty glum, lots of rumours and nothing of substance.

The club have been ambitious and sensible at the same time.

The players we've signed have the kind of track records that tell you they should be immediate starters and hit the ground running. 

We've got two of them on loan and one permanent (probably not possible to get a goalscorer who is ready on loan in Jan) which means we probably haven't shit the FFP bed too badly for following years.

It also means should we be successful in getting promoted we have a decent "try before you buy" on two players whose pedigree indicates they might be good enough for the prem.

We lost Josh, which is shame, but for a good financial deal in an area of the team where with Nagy, Massengo, Palmer, Smith, Rowe and now Henriksen we were not short.

We've loaned out Moore who needs seasoning and will storm league one, Semenyo who badly needs games but is too far away to get them at this level, and Wright who though a good servant is probably not going to continue with us in future - all sensible.

Of course with any signings there is risk and they might yet not work out but right now I think we've done very, very well.  Congratulations to Mark Ashton, LJ and the rest of the people at the club.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Also interesting that Flip Benković said he became aware of our interest 3 weeks ago, proving that these things can take a while to get through, especially if the loaning / selling club are trying to get in a replacement. 

Despite the mockery on here, this is exactly what people in the game (not just LJ and MA) mean when they talk about plates spinning, dominoes falling and so on.

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

A great point.

It's been clear to just about every fan going to games over the past few years that the ground improvements, financial stability from SL, astute transfer dealings by MA and the development of lower league and/or young players that everything has been going in the right direction.. (here's the rub) apart from our fans at most games. Criticisms of our own team are a recent and disappointing aspect of watching this good team and excellent club. At most away games the pos/neg factor is better than at AG but childish songs that are irrelevant to the team again make it much less fun than years back. I know some won't like this but it's the fans who need improve, not Lj, not MA, and clearly SL is an exemplary owner. 

So, get off the red button and get behind the team as often as possible, with your singing voices to get being the boys and our excellent manager, keeping any criticism to outside the ground. 6th place is where we are aiming and despite all the moaners on OTiB who rant after a defeat or two, we are on the right course. When the whole fan base supports our club eg v Manchester, we are an awesome '12th man' for the team. COYRs

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Exactly. There's a few who now expect playoffs minimum - if only it were that easy.

31 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Brilliant window, we have all the resources to get top 6. We’ve basically got 3 players in who the spine of very good team already. 

Over to you Lee, this is your chance. 

I rest my case.

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Exactly. There's a few who now expect playoffs minimum - if only it were that easy.

I rest my case.

I said we have the resources to get to the top 6, and we do. I don’t expect it but I’d like to be very close. I don’t think that’s a unreasonable expectation 

2 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I said we have the resources to get to the top 6, and we do. I don’t expect it but I’d like to be very close. I don’t think that’s a unreasonable expectation 

Exactly.  It’s a completely realistic / achievable objective. 

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Patersons return has coincided with a pick up in form and we are now back in the mix, and with Afobe possibly making a return before the season is out it might just be the lift we need at the right time?

Sorry, was that Afobe scoring the winner in the play off final in the most glorious moment of football karma?

6 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Apologies for quoting you without explanation - I read it straight after the other post which was giving a bit of perspective.

I don't think it is reasonable to actually expect top 6, but I do think it is a realistic target given the depth of squad and the additional striker we now have. 

As per the other post I quoted, given the heightened levels of expectation with these 3 signings, the knives will most definitely be out if we don't make top 6. 

I agree that it’s been a good transfer window, incoming & outgoing imo. Just shows that fans have to be patient, because there has been a lot on discontent about our lack of transfer activity. I think the other thing about this January is that we kept picking up points, while all our deals were obviously ongoing. So we are now in a good position to really kick on & challenge. COYR 

Archived