IGNORED

Big "Dave"

Dolman Block B

34 minutes ago, RedM said:

I said that earlier, his real upturn in form has been since he returned from suspension. Wonder what went on during that time?

Maybe the start and goal against brazil has made him relize how good he can be who knows but long it may it continue 

Fam has completely changed my opinion  of him. I went from seeing him as a stop gap for better options, to wanting him to be in our squad for the long term. That probably would be as a sub, eg when Afobe and Wells can combine, but I definitely don't want Diedhiou to leave our club. Turn down summer bids. Keep him.

I was going to create a separate topic, but I will just put it here. 
I think Fam is a great example of “developing” a player rather than just “improving” one. When he came here he was quite one-dimensional, and it was a dimension that didn’t really fit. But I believe  our coaches got him because of his physicality, and because they felt they could teach him how to play in a style that suited us and the English game.

I think initially he was quite resistant to this, but I think he has realised that adding extra dimensions to his play has benefited him, and may increase his stock when he moves on. 
I think the real trigger could have been the last international break, where he could see that his all round game had improved to the point that he was a more integral part of the Senegalese squad.

2 hours ago, Highguy said:

Looks a different player since his sending off

Never a truer word written. The bloke is transformed, Static no more, first touch improved beyond recognition and playing with a real sense of enjoyment. I'd like to see him get greedier in front of goal for if his 'one touch header' today is anything to go by he could be the real deal.

Long may his development continue.

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

News flash.... You're wrong .

The nickname comes from the non- league player Dave Diedhiou .

But never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Hope that explains it.

You’re wrong and so is steveybadger. It’s got nothing to do with Dave Dirdhou,but never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Gregor McGregor thought he was only worthy of a 6/10 today. 

Who is he to rate himself, but while we're at it I'll give Gregor a 2.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Just saw the goal on SSN......what a fantastic ball from Isaac - right onto Daves head. Terrific cross.

Yes, you are.

2 hours ago, swanker said:

Amazing how opinions can change within a few weeks?

On here anyway!

Do you mean a few seconds. We are OTIB.

In the right team, with the right players around him he is can be absolutely prolific at this level. I think him and Wells up top could be absolutely devastating.  I've always been a big fan of his ever since he arrived, the way him and Reid complemented each other was something else,hopefully e can get something like that from him and Wells. 

5 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

I,ll put my hand up and say i was one of his many many critics.

I really couldnt see where his value was coming from, made mistake after mistake and missed some sitters in front of goal

The last 6 or so matches the man has been an inspiration and looks strong, skilful and an excellent striker. And apart from his attacking skills how good was he in defence today and against Reading on Tuesday? 

Excellent performance, probably just sneaking M.O.M over Nathan Baker who has been superb recently as well.

Really hope we can find some good home form now to try for the play off spot of whows, perhaps automatic if we keep up this form.

Famara woo woo woo woo

Famara woo woo woo woo

He comes from Senagal

And now he lives in Knowle.

*Senegal  - and you were doing so well! ?✌️??

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Might be worth is remembering that we have had false dawns with Fam before. He's a confidence player, so said LJ, and we know he has ups and downs. That said, I'm loving his contribution at the moment. 

Good point mozo. 

The international hat trick has improved his confidence tremendously.

3 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Sigh, ok I'll have a go, realising that you quite probably already know (apols if genuinely don't) and it will undoubtedly start a range of offended posts......

There was an advert. It was a bunch of blokes who had a mate who was very big and also black. He was called Big Dave. Subsequently (not just on here) if there's a big black guy in a team he sometimes gets called Dave because he's big and ....you get the rest. First example was I believe West Brom fans calling Darren Moore Big Dave, because.......

Look, I get it's used in an affectionate way (there's a lot of love for Fammy on here) and not trying to cause offence (except to other posters by some who are clearly on the wind up). But essentially it's from the 'all black guys look the same' stereotype. See also all black guys have big........Therefore it is at best a bit naff (to my mind) and at worst a stereotype based on race, regardless of whether it's intended as high praise or an insult. 

Hope that explains it. COYR.

Totally and utterly incorrect ... despite your ‘sigh’ ??✌️?

4 hours ago, fairweather said:

Stop referencing Heskey FFS

really offensive however well intentioned. Completely different players 

offensive?? Heskey had a pretty good career, not sure what's wrong, let alone offensive, about being compared to him.... Most would see it as high praise? 

7 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

I,ll put my hand up and say i was one of his many many critics.

I really couldnt see where his value was coming from, made mistake after mistake and missed some sitters in front of goal

The last 6 or so matches the man has been an inspiration and looks strong, skilful and an excellent striker. And apart from his attacking skills how good was he in defence today and against Reading on Tuesday? 

Excellent performance, probably just sneaking M.O.M over Nathan Baker who has been superb recently as well.

Really hope we can find some good home form now to try for the play off spot of whows, perhaps automatic if we keep up this form.

Famara woo woo woo woo

Famara woo woo woo woo

He comes from Senagal

And now he lives in Knowle.

5 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I was exactly the same with him and still think he can make better runs. 
He was superb today though and has been much better for a while. Battling for every ball, never knowing when he’s beaten. Brilliant finish for the goal. If Harry Kane did that they’d never stop showing it. What a defensive header at the end as well. 
Baker was excellent but Fam was MOM easily 

Both....that’s exactly the point, judge the player on his performance(s), alter your opinion if he changes over a few / several games.  That is perfectly fine. ??????

Its the ones who steadfastly must stick to their initial evaluation, often having never seen them play, or just one game, who get to me.  Be flexible, be open to changing your opinion in the light of fact / performances.

Why do scouts watch a player many times?

People should never have been saying what they were about him. 

There are some I don't rate as high as others do but I don't say 'they're shit' etc.

Diedhiou has improved in recent weeks or months but he was always at least a decent player at this level. 

20 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I wonder if Afobe in the away end and Wells on the bench had any bearing, even subconsciously, on his attitude yesterday?

Didn't see any difference from him to recent games to be honest 

47 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And of course there is the cup of nations next year, so that be acting as another driver.

Either way, we are getting the benefit.

I think he'll play - can't see him being just the driver of the bus tbh.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

People should never have been saying what they were about him. 

There are some I don't rate as high as others do but I don't say 'they're shit' etc.

Diedhiou has improved in recent weeks or months but he was always at least a decent player at this level. 

It’s the bit about Otib I dislike - derogatory comments like this or even “downs league”.  I even find “League one at best” just as bad, when it’s used in the context of a player who’s played many times at this level....or in some cases 50+ in the Prem.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I wonder if Afobe in the away end and Wells on the bench had any bearing, even subconsciously, on his attitude yesterday?

I would be pretty  certain these factors had no bearing whatsoever - his professionalism has never been in question and I doubt he is the kind of player that raises or lowers his performance depending on such peripheral points. The bottom line is that he wasn't outstanding because Wells was on the bench, he was outstanding because he is a far better player than many give him credit for him. 

Archived