IGNORED

Big big game Friday against Birmingham

Lez

I know that the dust hasnt settled from today's win but what a big game against Birmingham next Friday....

Based on recent experiences againd sides like them.....tall direct.....we will lose, Jutkievitcz header and a CB goal probably.....what with the optimism of recent results surely our home form has to change?

One word of caution....of the teams we have played twice this season I believe 6 are 15th and below and brentford only side in top half...let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Please LJ start Wells and Diedhiou.....Weimann is an excellent player but at home against probably the most defensive side in the league we are going to need some sparkle and class.....wouldn't surprise me to see Palmer start too.

What a big game and a good chance to turn around our average home form against similar sides......Blackburn and millwall spring to mind.

Birmingham

Derby

Leeds

West Brom

Huddersfield 

Milwall 

I know recent results have been great but let's bare in mind the quality of opposition is about to improve significantly!!!

You're right, it's a huge opportunity. Not just to go 3rd but for daylight down to 7th too.

Fair enough, we're not as good at the Gate, but I just hope we can keep this winning momentum going.

And as I said elsewhere, we might be playing WBA and Leeds at the right time. 

Big game as Leeds play Forest so an opportunity there to close the gap on Leeds or overtake Forest. Hoping for a draw tbh.

West Brom got a tough one against Milwall.

Fulham got Blackburn. 

Brentford got Boro.

Swansea got Derby

And Preston got Wigan.

So possible a few teams may drop some points so we really need to take advantage and get a win against Brum.

Birmingham came back from going behind yesterday. Plus in Scott Hogan on loan from Villa, they have got themselves an excellent striker and foil for Jutkewicz, so we will need to be solid at the back as well.

All of the games in this division are a challenge (Luton at home excepted) so I can see plenty more twists and turns before the end of the season. However we are on form, and we have recruited well in the January window, so anything other than playoffs this time will feel like a massive let down, and also won’t fulfil SL’s expectations.

1 hour ago, Bernard Lerring said:

I still wish we'd sent them down on the last day of the season in 2017 

Agreed. The lads were already on the beach that day. But if I recall it was a lap of honour after the game by Sir Steve Cotterill that was the hilight of the day. A chance he obviously didn’t get when he was booted out. 

2 minutes ago, clunes said:

I’l be missing the match so If anyone has any knowledge of where might show the game in Malta, it would be appreciated. 

It’s on Sky mate so any English bar worth it’s salt will surely be showing it!? Alternatively it’s on international broadcast on these channels 

https://www.livesoccertv.com/match/3336411/bristol-city-vs-birmingham-city/

59 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't have a clue how we will line up. New CB who is apparently quality. Henriksen too. Does Wells start? 

We could just go unchanged. But will LJ be brave. 

If he's deemed fit I'd expect Henriksen to come in for Massengo. Does Wells replace either Weimann or Paterson though?

48 minutes ago, clunes said:

I’l be missing the match so If anyone has any knowledge of where might show the game in Malta, it would be appreciated. 

We spent the day in  Valletta back in November on the way the Kosovo had a few drinks in THE BAR which is where Oliver Reed had his last drink before he died

great little pub and I’m sure they showed all the sport there 

37 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Won’t be easy - they haven’t lost in their last four games.....hoping for a BIG crowd as it’s what the boys deserve ?

COYRs

Including the FA Cup they are now unbeaten in 6. Good news maybe is that they have a cup replay on Tuesday which I would expect them to take fairly seriously. Having drawn v Coventry once they will not take it to lightly I imagine, and as I don’t think they will get dragged in to a real relegation battle the cup offers them a bit of a fun trip to Leicester next. Hopefully they decide to put out a strongish side and have a hard match.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

If he's deemed fit I'd expect Henriksen to come in for Massengo. Does Wells replace either Weimann or Paterson though?

Yes I think LJ may drop Pato for Wells and go 442.

I wonder if he drops Baker for Benkovic. 

17 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Including the FA Cup they are now unbeaten in 6. Good news maybe is that they have a cup replay on Tuesday which I would expect them to take fairly seriously. Having drawn v Coventry once they will not take it to lightly I imagine, and as I don’t think they will get dragged in to a real relegation battle the cup offers them a bit of a fun trip to Leicester next. Hopefully they decide to put out a strongish side and have a hard match.

What you mean, but are too polite to say is that you hope for a few minor injuries and red cards. I'm with you on that one

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

All of the games in this division are a challenge

Totally agree. There are no easy games!

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

(Luton at home excepted)

Just as much a challenge. They beat us 3-0 at their place don't forget!

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Definitely agree on Henriksen. I think centre back is the toughest call. Benkovic is here to play and seems an exceptional talent but it is really hard to justify dropping Williams or Baker based on their performances and clean sheets.

Personally I reckon Wells will be on the bench again. Can’t see a rationale for dropping Pato at the moment and I reckon Weimann will start too.

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

Won’t be easy - they haven’t lost in their last four games.....hoping for a BIG crowd as it’s what the boys deserve ?

COYRs

They're due for a defeat then!!!

:fingerscrossed:

......but then so are we!!!

:facepalm:

32 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Pity that the cup replay isn't away. The travelling also uses up energy.

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Definitely agree on Henriksen. I think centre back is the toughest call. Benkovic is here to play and seems an exceptional talent but it is really hard to justify dropping Williams or Baker based on their performances and clean sheets.

Personally I reckon Wells will be on the bench again. Can’t see a rationale for dropping Pato at the moment and I reckon Weimann will start too.

If LJ drops either Williams or Baker then he needs his head examining.  They were both superb yesterday.

I can see Paterson being left out for Wells.  Wells played at 10 yesterday, particularly when we didn't have the ball. At home against a team sitting back, Paterson is less useful.  Much better when a team is coming onto us and we're playing more on the break as he links the midfield and attack.  

6 minutes ago, The Bard said:

If LJ drops either Williams or Baker then he needs his head examining.  They were both superb yesterday.

I can see Paterson being left out for Wells.  Wells played at 10 yesterday, particularly when we didn't have the ball. At home against a team sitting back, Paterson is less useful.  Much better when a team is coming onto us and we're playing more on the break as he links the midfield and attack.  

Yep if Wells plays with Fam then he has to play in behind him. He has played that role in the past. He will still be free to get in the box and score goals. 

It's a strange one with our defence. Arguably our best 2 centre backs as far as attributes go are not playing. 

Kalas record signing. Quickest and strongest of our centre backs. 

Benkovic not seen him play. But huge, quick, and seems like someone who can dribble out and pass. He doesn't seem to be a million miles away from being ready to start for Leicester. And is not here to not play. 

Obviously Kalas is injured. But I can see the argument for playing Benkovic. At home and wanting to dominate, it can really help play against a compact defensive side having a centre back that can bring it out. 

But yeah the sensible thing would be to keep it the same. 

LJ could even go with 3 at the back. Does LJ feel we can play even better than we are? Maybe. And maybe that's why he may be brave and change things. 

Would imagine rest day today (pretty standard), but LJ will want as much time on the training ground and classroom trying to get the newbies up to speed.  He can then judge from there.

Am I right in thinking Hunt came off due to injury yesterday, and Baker struggling at the end?

With the new guys, pretty much any eleven selected is gonna be very competitive.

Tough game, all the same.

50 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yes I think LJ may drop Pato for Wells and go 442.

I wonder if he drops Baker for Benkovic. 

I really  worry if we play 442 unless we dominate up top ... if we are playing two up top we are stronger with 3 5 2 ... but...  having a central two of massengo and smith would IMO get over run . But if our new signings gel great maybe 442 isnt a bad idea! 

Paterson and Eliasson have a good understanding too ... if anything for me Weimann could be the one to make way! 

5 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I really  worry if we play 442 unless we dominate up top ... if we are playing two up top we are stronger with 3 5 2 ... but...  having a central two of massengo and smith would IMO get over run . But if our new signings gel great maybe 442 isnt a bad idea! 

Paterson and Eliasson have a good understanding too ... if anything for me Weimann could be the one to make way! 

Birmingham are the epitome of 442.

Archived