IGNORED

Big big game Friday against Birmingham

Lez

5 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I really  worry if we play 442 unless we dominate up top ... if we are playing two up top we are stronger with 3 5 2 ... but...  having a central two of massengo and smith would IMO get over run . But if our new signings gel great maybe 442 isnt a bad idea! 

Paterson and Eliasson have a good understanding too ... if anything for me Weimann could be the one to make way! 

I would be surprised if LJ ever drops Weimann. He loves him. 

I'm not sure what I'd do. We are playing well but can LJ be greedy and want even better? 

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Big game as Leeds play Forest so an opportunity there to close the gap on Leeds or overtake Forest. Hoping for a draw tbh.

West Brom got a tough one against Milwall.

Fulham got Blackburn. 

Brentford got Boro.

Swansea got Derby

And Preston got Wigan.

So possible a few teams may drop some points so we really need to take advantage and get a win against Brum.

have ??

58 minutes ago, The Bard said:

If LJ drops either Williams or Baker then he needs his head examining.  They were both superb yesterday.

I can see Paterson being left out for Wells.  Wells played at 10 yesterday, particularly when we didn't have the ball. At home against a team sitting back, Paterson is less useful.  Much better when a team is coming onto us and we're playing more on the break as he links the midfield and attack.  

I actually completely disagree.....Paterson is one of the few players who can open sides up at home.

Looking at this months fixtures, I think it's fair to say we're really going to find out how likely we are to push for a play offs/promotion finish. If ever there is a time to take points from Leeds it's now, they are on a dire run of form, West Brom will be a real test, Millwall will be a tough game and even Derby could be a real game if they're in a fighting spirit.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Would imagine rest day today (pretty standard), but LJ will want as much time on the training ground and classroom trying to get the newbies up to speed.  He can then judge from there.

Am I right in thinking Hunt came off due to injury yesterday, and Baker struggling at the end?

With the new guys, pretty much any eleven selected is gonna be very competitive.

Tough game, all the same.

It was interesting to hear that the two signed on deadline day went and had a training session with Jmac and Deano yesterday morning. Suspect they will probably be in today also.

3 hours ago, clunes said:

I’l be missing the match so If anyone has any knowledge of where might show the game in Malta, it would be appreciated. 

We spend a lot of time in Malta and you won't have too many problems finding somewhere.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Birmingham are the epitome of 442.

We are pushing for promotion its about time we played our best team and formation then worry about what is the best against each team although i know LJ and lots of  managers do this. 

It also maybe why we do so poorly at home? Teams know we struggle at home and feel like they have nothing to lose!!

I really don't like threads like this.....all games have the same standing....all worth 3, 1 or no points........no game is bigger than any other......its pre-conditioning of fans/club approach that gives more gravitas to some games over others.....when in reality.....we have an equal chance of winning, drawing or losing any game against any opposition in the league. 

Rant over.....COYRs

We’ve had games like this already this season in millwall and Blackburn . We’ve done it for years going back to Danny Wilson’s days when we’d pick up good results on the road then cock up at home . 
Yes  , every game is tough and all worth 3 points , but it would be a big confidence boost for everyone to win this one and go third. Even if it is for a few hours. 

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I would be surprised if LJ ever drops Weimann. He loves him. 

I'm not sure what I'd do. We are playing well but can LJ be greedy and want even better? 

It might happen this Friday, you never know!

I look back to MIllwall, where we’d had a two wins, and pressure to keep an unchanged team.  A really tough call, because undoubtedly our midfield three of Brownhill, Nagy and Massengo would’ve spent a lot of time chasing the ball on the Saturday v Fulham...but you hope the sports scientists do their job and LJ trusts them.  But he did keep it unchanged, and all 3 looked leggy against a physical high press.

So something to learn from at least.  Albeit a bigger gap between games than Fulham > MIllwall.

What Lee needs to be doing imho, is picking the team for the upcoming game, not upcoming games.  Too many variables, e.g. you plan to give Fam a rest, and he scores a brace, is full of confidence.  By all means rest if the stats say, but boringly, take each game as it comes.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I look back to MIllwall, where we’d had a two wins, and pressure to keep an unchanged team.  A really tough call, because undoubtedly our midfield three of Brownhill, Nagy and Massengo would’ve spent a lot of time chasing the ball on the Saturday v Fulham...but you hope the sports scientists do their job and LJ trusts them.  But he did keep it unchanged, and all 3 looked leggy against a physical high press.

So something to learn from at least.  Albeit a bigger gap between games than Fulham > MIllwall.

What Lee needs to be doing imho, is picking the team for the upcoming game, not upcoming games.  Too many variables, e.g. you plan to give Fam a rest, and he scores a brace, is full of confidence.  By all means rest if the stats say, but boringly, take each game as it comes.

After the Fulham game LJ said they used a different player tracking system so we didn't have the information on our players.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It's interesting that on our bad run in 17/18 season LJ said it wasn't down to tiredness because of what the sports science of things showed in tests they do in training. 

Which suggests to me it is often mental tiredness, rather than any physical data showing up. 

I think Nagy really struggled with too many games, and maybe Massengo did too. 

I imagine that's because they're still adapting to this league. But with Diedhiou I've been surprised by his fitness levels this season. 

Previous seasons he was shattered after 70 odd mins, and not the same player when starting a few days after a game. 

I haven't really seen these problems with him this season.

There's arguments for changing or keeping the same side.

11 minutes ago, Meh said:

Obviously I am being really thick here but who played where yesterday when Wells came on?

I keep seeing people saying Paterson might make way in a 4-4-2; presumably then with Wiemann playing midfield do you mean?

Weimann was wide left most of the game though he sometimes went up top when they rotated a bit first half.

25 minutes ago, chinapig said:

After the Fulham game LJ said they used a different player tracking system so we didn't have the information on our players.

That’s interesting, didn’t hear that....although something does ring a bell that Fulham having a different set-up.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's interesting that on our bad run in 17/18 season LJ said it wasn't down to tiredness because of what the sports science of things showed in tests they do in training. 

Which suggests to me it is often mental tiredness, rather than any physical data showing up. 

I think Nagy really struggled with too many games, and maybe Massengo did too. 

I imagine that's because they're still adapting to this league. But with Diedhiou I've been surprised by his fitness levels this season. 

Previous seasons he was shattered after 70 odd mins, and not the same player when starting a few days after a game. 

I haven't really seen these problems with him this season.

There's arguments for changing or keeping the same side.

Mental tiredness is a big thing.  I know it’s a totally different level, but I remember one bad winter, we had so many games called off, we played Sat (the odd Sunday), Tues, Thursday....repeat, playing about 10 games in 21 days.  It wasn’t the physical demands, it was mental fatigue, losing sharpness of thought.  Felt like we were going through the motions.  Night games, straight from work, travelling to places like Barnstaple or Bideford, etc.

43 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A bit worried by our performances at home, but hard to change a winning team and they we're magnificent on Saturday.

Personally, I would put Wells on the bench again and let him earn his starting place from there.

We could really do with six points from Birmingham and Derby with Leeds and West Brom to come.

Agreed - unchanged unless we have any injuries - sounds like Hunt and Wiemann both had knocks yesterday?

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Madness not to start Wells on Friday night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

We are on the final straight, what is it 15/16 games to go. Play the ****** now.

I’d have him raring to go from the bench again, personally. 
Depends how he takes to things in training this week though I suppose. 

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Madness not to start Wells on Friday night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

We are on the final straight, what is it 15/16 games to go. Play the ****** now.

Get him in the team. Best goal-minute ratio in the league. Madness to put him on the bench especially at home.

Archived