IGNORED

The new signings

Charlie BCFC

If we do make changes, apart from the obvious one you stated , I would expect it to be slowly. 
Henriksen will probably come in , I thought HNM looked a little lightweight yesterday, but you can't break up AW & NB. I would guess we will move to a different system, specially at home , but with our away record it could be risky to mess with it too much right now. I think we may move to a 3 CB system otherwise I don't get the Benkovic signing , can't see him signing to sit on the bench.

I think Henriksen for HNM will be the only change on Friday with Wells and Benkovic on the bench(kovic). 

But we've got 3 games in just over a week starting with Birmingham and ending at Leeds. I can see Williams and either Weimann or Paterson being rested against Derby and Benkovic and Wells coming in, with performances against Birmingham and Derby dictating who starts at Leeds. 

3 minutes ago, marmite said:

Maybe Wells for Weimann?

Doubt he will drop Weimann

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I really hope not. Paterson has been so important to our recent form. I would bring in Henriksen for Massengo as the only change.

I agree but think LJ will see it differently 

5 minutes ago, marmite said:

Maybe Wells for Weimann?

I think this is a possibility. Weimann definitely feels like the odd one out in our current formation. At the moment we aren't playing to his strengths and, being a bit ruthless about it, the fact we're winning means there is no sense in tweaking our system to suit him. So, for me, he's the one that has to make way if anyone does. Paterson hasn't always been my favourite player but he's really showing his value and bringing far, far more to the table than Weimann at the present time. 

19 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think this is a possibility. Weimann definitely feels like the odd one out in our current formation. At the moment we aren't playing to his strengths and, being a bit ruthless about it, the fact we're winning means there is no sense in tweaking our system to suit him. So, for me, he's the one that has to make way if anyone does. Paterson hasn't always been my favourite player but he's really showing his value and bringing far, far more to the table than Weimann at the present time. 

Paterson is exactly what Forest said he was and that’s unpredictable, his form is either world beater or panel beater, at the moment he’s the former and deserves his place.

31 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It would be interesting to see how we can play without Weimann, we rarely see this. Can't fault his effort and running, but nearly always no end product. Does he do more than we realise, or can he be used more effectively? A rest wouldn't do him any harm, even as fit as he must be he surely needs some time out.

We have a Friday, Weds, Sat run of matches next. Wouldn't it be great to have the luxury to be able to rest and rotate if needed.

In the last 4 games we have had to defend hard to retain our lead. The new signings are there to turn a side that has mostly been fighting a defensive game into one who goes onto the attack. 

The high press is all about defending from the front. Pushing forward and not giving the opposition time to move the ball around at the back. 

The new players fit that plan of being attacking in intent. They need to be incorporated without upsetting the balance of the side. 

To my mind, playing Williams, Baker or Kalas at the back with Smith as the defensive Midfielder in front is the heart of our defence. So either three across the back with wing backs or a flat four but in both circumstances Smith in the middle. 

This leads to 4 1 3 2 or 3 5 2. 

That gives us more ability to maintain a high press while retaining that strong defensive line. 

We are not cruising to victory and are often just a mistake away from letting a goal in and are grinding out 1.0s.  These players were brought in to strengthen the team and drive us on.  We need to show we can get results against top sides, in the last 10 games the only top half of the table teams we have played we have lost to.

Williams performance against Brentford showed he is not comfortable coping with fast mobile forwards; although breaking up an in form pairing sounds risky, I assume a £13m CB can do everything Williams can, but quicker.  

Midfield has so often been highlighted as a weak area; Smith coming back seems to have made a difference, but it still needs improving.  That says Henriksen should be in, presumably instead of Massengo.

Weimann flatters to deceive a lot recently, a straight swap for Wells beckons, we need to kill games off.

Assuming the new players are fit and match ready they should come in sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

If we do make changes, apart from the obvious one you stated , I would expect it to be slowly.

I tend to agree.
Henriksen will probably come in , I thought HNM looked a little lightweight yesterday,

his first start in 4 games.  Age plus this Gonna make him inconsistent.  You’re probably right though.

but you can't break up AW & NB.

see next quote ⏬

I would guess we will move to a different system, specially at home , but with our away record it could be risky to mess with it too much right now. I think we may move to a 3 CB system otherwise I don't get the Benkovic signing , can't see him signing to sit on the bench.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think Henriksen for HNM will be the only change on Friday with Wells and Benkovic on the bench(kovic). 

But we've got 3 games in just over a week starting with Birmingham and ending at Leeds. I can see Williams and either Weimann or Paterson being rested against Derby and Benkovic and Wells coming in, with performances against Birmingham and Derby dictating who starts at Leeds.

I think we’ve seen the odd dip from Williams when playing back to back Sat/midweek, Sat/midweek.  Been excellent otherwise when fresh.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

much as I rate Weimann, he’s probably the one over the past 3/4 games who needs to play a bit better.  Good decisions to have to make though.

Good luck to LJ  and his coaches for sorting out the team for for the rest of the season.

I believe most of us think the squad/ first 11 needed more quality but with our recent results ,how he integrates the 3 signings in will be interesting.

imho opinion the best we ever played under LJ was the 3 months up until the Man Utd win with basically the same 11.

Although with the injuries we’ve had this season recently our form somehow has picked up again I’m just hoping the new players fit in and don’t upset the spirit that this team obviously have.

Glad we’ve signed 2 players taller than the boss,hopefully that will stop fam having to come back for corners,great he is at defending them.However when we clear the ball he’s in our box!

anyhow onwards and upwards Coyr ctid

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Given we had competition for Benkovic, I doubt Leicester would have allowed him to come here without the guarantee of starting. He is a £13m defender. Him and Kalas, when fit, I assume would be the preferred partnership.

Extraordinary strength at centre half considering we lost Webster so late in the summer 

I think when all midfielders are fit first choice will be Nagy and Henriksen, rotating Korey and Massengo where necessary.

Hard to drop Dieudhiou atm and Wells didn’t come for the bench so maybe Weimann will lose out

Wells for Weimann for me. You can't fault Andi's effort but his passing of late had been sloppy. Henriksen for Massengo is I think likely. I wouldn't alter tha back 4 right now but Hunt looked to have a slight limp when replaced by Perreira yesterday so a change may be forced. I hope not to a back 3 as that probably means Niclas is benched again. 

Of course all this could be wide of the mark as correctly second guessing LJ would be as likely as finding the next nobel prize winner in Withywood. 

11 minutes ago, Mihai said:

Is Han Noah going to be a bad signing ? For some time we don't really want him in the first team. If we go up he will be sent on loan for sure, otherwise he is a rotation player.

He's 18 years old, patience is key.

He might not hit his peak for 4-6 years.

3 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

He's 18 years old, patience is key.

He might not hit his peak for 4-6 years.

Exactly and CM is probably the hardest (along with CB) position for an 18 year old to come in.

Thinks he did well initially, but a little drop off.  Might be adjusting to the intensity of training to be able to cope, just catching up with him.

No rush.

Wells and Fammy have to be the first two names on the team sheet. They are strikers in form and confidence is key in that position. No way should we buy a striker in form and stutter his run by benching him, or leave Fammy out. 

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly and CM is probably the hardest (along with CB) position for an 18 year old to come in.

Thinks he did well initially, but a little drop off.  Might be adjusting to the intensity of training to be able to cope, just catching up with him.

No rush.

That delightful floated ball from the angle that teed up Wells for a close range header was a reminder that the kid has talent (vision). We also take his high intensity harrying for granted now.

We just need to carefully develop him. And by carefully, I don't mean how we are with Semenyo!

Archived