IGNORED

Jan Window - Peterboro View

Davefevs

Blimey, talk about airing your dirty linen in public! Fascinatingly honest but not sure l would want our club talking about contracted players like that.

DNA....stay well away from Maddison.

I really don't see why a player with 5 months of his contract left would do anything other than sit it out? Maximizing options and signing-on fee. He won't move to clubs you've cherry-picked for him? Tough shit.

As much as I value honesty, this is way too much detail and from the perspective of dealing with Peterborough, I imagine other clubs would be wary about having their negotiations made public.

That said, really pleased to see Szmodics doing the business.

3 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Blimey, talk about airing your dirty linen in public! Fascinatingly honest but not sure l would want our club talking about contracted players like that.

I really don't see why a player with 5 months of his contract left would do anything other than sit it out? Maximizing options and signing-on fee. He won't move to clubs you've cherry-picked for him? Tough shit.

As much as I value honesty, this is way too much detail and from the perspective of dealing with Peterborough, I imagine other clubs would be wary about having their negotiations made public.

That said, really pleased to see Smozdics doing the business.

I tend to agree with your first point but a player who is prepared to sit around for 5 months rather than play is not likely to impress the kind of club that could pay him the amount he seems to think he is worth.

7 minutes ago, Xiled said:

That is the Peterborough / Fry / MacAnthony way.  I think some of it is a front to help them play hard-ball, and they’ve gotten good value for their sales as a result.

I think the downside is being labelled as a trouble-maker, MacAnthony has certainly let that be known.  We’ve not heard any bad press re Henriksen in a similar situation.  Yes, McCann has frozen him out, but he’s been prepared to move.

Yes, absolutely

That said, really pleased to see Smozdics doing the business.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I tend to agree with your first point but a player who is prepared to sit around for 5 months rather than play is not likely to impress the kind of club that could pay him the amount he seems to think he is worth.

Very true, I think we've been there fairly recently!! But, I've personally worked within a 2 year contract and if my employer came to me and said we've arranged for you to move 100 miles to another job so that we can recover some of your value, I would politely decline and make my own decision in the summer. He shouldn't stop playing his best for Peterborough but equally he should have a choice if he is prepared to see out his contract.

18 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Thinking about this more you have made a good point. It seems clear that come the summer Peterborough will want rid of Maddison, but if he doesn't impress enough at Hull for them to make it permanent I wonder whether any party wiil gain from this honest airing. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That is the Peterborough / Fry / MacAnthony way.  I think some of it is a front to help them play hard-ball, and they’ve gotten good value for their sales as a result.

Well, he's pretty much disclosed that all of their potential sales this January could have totalled £10M to £12M - presumably accepting the fourth bid for Ivan Toney. I'm not sure how sensible that is to make public. And assuming they sell Toney this summer, we've got an idea of their wallet size if they bid for Sammy. It's a bit like disclosing you have a striker with a £300k release clause!

I would be deeply uncomfortable with Mark Ashton being this candid even though I've previously said he's evasive!!

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Thinking about this more you have made a good point. It seems clear that come the summer Peterborough will want rid of Maddison, but if he doesn't impress enough at Hull for them to make it permanent I wonder whether any party wiil gain from this honest airing. 

I would love to see a video like this from every club in League 1 and the Championship....apart from us!

9 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Well, he's pretty much disclosed that all of their potential sales this January could have totalled £10M to £12M - presumably accepting the fourth bid for Ivan Toney. I'm not sure how sensible that is to make public. And assuming they sell Toney this summer, we've got an idea of their wallet size if they bid for Sammy. It's a bit like disclosing you have a striker with a £300k release clause!

I would be deeply uncomfortable with Mark Ashton being this candid even though I've previously said he's evasive!!

Not dissimilar scenario to Wells and Brownhill.  If they made a laughable suggestion for Toney, we make one back for Szmodics.

As it happens, I think Toney’s ship has sailed if Afobe does come back fit.  Think it was Wells, Toney or Taylor.

Toney is the one I wanted. But wow prem interest. Maybe he will get what he wants. 

I'm glad Ashton doesn't give everything away. I bet it annoys other clubs this guy talking so much. Interesting to hear for fans though. 

It's interesting he would not name one of the clubs that were after Maddison. Surely not us?

Hoping we do not sell them Szmodics. He seems an LJ type player.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Toney is the one I wanted. But wow prem interest. Maybe he will get what he wants. 

I'm glad Ashton doesn't give everything away. I bet it annoys other clubs this guy talking so much. Interesting to hear for fans though. 

It's interesting he would not name one of the clubs that were after Maddison. Surely not us?

Blackburn I heard.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We've got a contract of at least 2.5 years remaining for Szmodics and he's already scored 4 goals in 5 appearances at the top of League 1.

However this plays out, I imagine Mark Ashton is rubbing his hands!

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Though the Prem interest was from clubs who said they would be interested if they were relegated. So really Championship interest then. ?

The really interesting bit for me was where he talked Toney and mentioned one club having made multiple offers for Toney as their number one target. Confirms he likes the business model of said club, that the club are pushing for prem promotion and that has a good relationship with the CEO (or Director of Football)

Its about 15 minutes in, but it’s either us or Brentford - nobody else ticks said boxes 

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The really interesting bit for me was where he talked Toney and mentioned one club having made multiple offers for Toney as their number one target. Confirms he likes the business model of said club, that the club are pushing for prem promotion and that has a good relationship with the CEO (or Director of Football)

Its about 15 minutes in, but it’s either us or Brentford - nobody else ticks said boxes 

I thought it was us initially, but Brentford I reckon, preparing to replace Watkins, and alleged to have been in for him.

4 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Or a team that gets £200m for being promoted to the Prem ?

Then its a massive step up for someone for that amount of money and you can probably find better value for money elsewhere when you can look at players then playing at that level

58 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Living up here, my son is a Posh fan. He ad his mates cannot understand why we've let Szmodics go.

Recently some on this forum have regretted selling Mo Eisa to P'boro'. My son pointed out, he can no longer get in their starting line up.

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Had he not said 'Director of Football' I might have believed it was us. But yes, Toney sounds like a Brentford signing based on their buy/sell model.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Blackburn I heard.

Ahh OK. Makes sense

23 minutes ago, Xiled said:

We've got a contract of at least 2.5 years remaining for Szmodics and he's already scored 4 goals in 5 appearances at the top of League 1.

However this plays out, I imagine Mark Ashton is rubbing his hands!

Yeah well everyone has a price. And Szmodics may be quite high if he keeps this up. 

That Dembele seems to be a very good striker for them. 

I wonder if Szmodics may become as important to them as Toney is. Obviously they have Eisa too who appears to be 4th choice striker now! 

22 minutes ago, 22A said:

Living up here, my son is a Posh fan. He ad his mates cannot understand why we've let Szmodics go.

Recently some on this forum have regretted selling Mo Eisa to P'boro'. My son pointed out, he can no longer get in their starting line up.

Tell your son he will find out for himself if Posh get promoted. 

Without sounding politically incorrect...it's an Irish thing. I've worked with Irish businessmen. They have a thing about airing anything to people who will listen. The guy who owns Ryanair is the same.

It's really odd, but something I've noted over the years. They really do like to tell everyone. And yes I'm generalising.

Expecting the worst :laugh:...??

Archived