Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Badger08

Benik - Player of the season

I know this is a bit early, but for some reason it's just popped into my head. 

Wouldn't it be a great gesture from the fans to vote Benik as player of the season? 

I'd imagine it would mean a lot to him, and would be nod from the fan's to acknowledge his awful year.

I guess some won't agree, but I'd love to see it. 

Edited by Badger08
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Hmmm 2
  • Robin 1
  • Hedgehog 1
  • Rovers 1

7 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Wouldn't it be a great gesture from the fans to vote Benik as player of the season? 

I'd imagine it would mean a lot to him, and would be nod from the fan's to acknowledge his awful year.

I see the logic, I just find that sort of stuff quite patronising. 

• Like 12

Bloody hell, he scored a couple of goals and people think he is Jimmy ******* Greaves! 

Hope he comes back and recovers but it would be an absolute joke if he was awarded Player of the Season after appearing in 5 games.

Edited by Chairman Mao
  • Like 2
  • Aubergine 1
  • Snake 1

Just me then haha. 

Maybe I'm a bit soft / love a happy ending. It's just the thought behind it. 

Awkward. 

Edited by Badger08
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Bloody hell, he scored a couple of goals and people think he is Jimmy ******* Greaves! 

Hope he comes back and recovers but it would be an absolute joke if he was award Player of the Season.

Bit harsh mate. The guy has suffered one of the worst experiences anyone could imagine. Nobody is saying he's "Jimmy ******* Greaves". 

It's a player of the season award at Bristol City, it's not the Ballon d'Or.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Just me then haha. 

Maybe I'm a bit soft. 

Awkward. 

Hes gonna come back and either score the goal that sends us up automatically or score the winner at Wembley. He can have the goal of the season award then 😃👍

• Like 7

He’s gonna win the Sergio Aguero award when he scores the winner in the 94th minute on the final day of the season to send us up to the First Division 

Afooooobbbbbbeeeeeeeeeeee!

#scenes

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

If he comes back and starts scoring 2 or 3 goals a game, which results in us going up, then yes player of the season.

Because he's scored a few goals, had a bad injury  and lost a child - that doesn't warrant being awarded player of the season. I think he'd also find it very degrading.

Stupid suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Rovers 1

I would like to think the club has already done, and will continue to do, everything they can to help Benik through what is undoubtedly an extremely difficult time.

Therefore I don't think he would need something like this to realise everyone is behind him.

• Like 1

I can see the sentiment is meant well, but no. Definitely not!

It would be patronising to him, potentially offensive to other players and really carry very little meaning, knowing that it’s not appropriate anyway. 

I think he knows that he has everyone’s support and appreciates that already. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Nice gesture but I am not sure he'd feel good about that. 

Yes, he's such a top fella judging from what I've read and heard, and he would probably feel bad for taking it off one of his team mates. 

Edited by Red7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Just me then haha. 

Awkward. 

Not really! An interesting question that could easily be discussed over a few beers/ciders! 

Player of the Season should mean the footballer who stood out the most in the 46 games. However, Man of The Season could be awarded to a player who contributed a lot to the Team off the pitch. The fact that he turned up to support the lads yesterday and has left positive messages on social media could certainly put him as a front runner for this award. The manner in which he's behaved despite an awful injury and tragic loss would put him further ahead in this award category.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

Award aside...if we don't go up, could we afford a fit Afobe, Wells and Famara in the same squad next season?

Probably, but would likely lighten the squad numbers elsewhere.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Probably, but would likely lighten the squad numbers elsewhere.

Think that's the quality of frontline including Weimann to progress imo.

• Like 4

Utterly stupid and ridiculous. A total insult to the players who have done so well this season. And don’t forget, he’s not actually a City player, on loan from Stoke.

27 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

He’s gonna win the Sergio Aguero award when he scores the winner in the 94th minute on the final day of the season to send us up to the First Division 

Afooooobbbbbbeeeeeeeeeeee!

#scenes

Would be nice to see Neil but much prefer the Premiership :ill::disapointed2se::argh::clap::clap:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

We must have an option to buy, wonder what the figure is? 

£2.5-3.0m(ish) was what I read into the rumours at the time.  We paid a big loan fee.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

£2.5-3.0m(ish) was what I read into the rumours at the time.  We paid a big loan fee.

Sell Fam for £8-10m and buy Afobe for £3m.  Good business.  Need to sell someone in the summer and only options for a high fee are Fam and Dasiilva.  Elliason if he had a longer contract as well. 

It would mean a lot more i think if the fans gave him a standing ovation when he plays his first game back. And continued to get behind him and the team. Make him feel that City cares.

Edited by Marty
  • Thanks 1

If he does come back before the end of the season I’d like to see a standing ovation for him when he comes on the pitch 

just to let him know we appreciate what he’s been through  

i think that’s all that’s needed 

and raise the roof when he scores 

• Like 1

I think it's enough that he's been well supported by the club and fans.

As it stands IMO player of the season is between Famara, Baker, Eliasson* and maybe Bentley. No clear front runner though so plenty of time for something to change. Personally right now Fam would get my vote. He's playing well and personifies the team this season - not pretty to watch but mysteriously effective regardless.

Young player is either Massengo or Dasilva.

*Not sure if Eliasson would be eligible for young player?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Sell Fam for £8-10m and buy Afobe for £3m.  Good business.  Need to sell someone in the summer and only options for a high fee are Fam and Dasiilva.  Elliason if he had a longer contract as well. 

Fam is in same boat as Eliasson in terms of contract. I expect them both to he sold this summer. I’d hope for 15m for the pair. 

Think we will have a decent clear out this summer. Think quite a few coming into their last year. Baker, Eliasson, Fam, Walsh, Weimann and Hunt. Let me know if I am wrong on any of those.

Baker, Weimann and Hunt we have to weigh up whether we want a small fee for “older” players, let their contracts run out and get the most we can for them or offer them new deals in which we probably lose any chance of selling them. 

Eliasson, Fam and to a lesser extent Walsh will have suitors. Will they sign new deals? Idk I imagine we will offer them new ones but can they get better elsewhere or find a more prestigious club? Walsh has been on the periphery and then loaned out. Will he sign a new deal without knowing if he will be played? 

As for Benik and player of the season I think it is a nice gesture but would find it patronising. Maybe fan of the year as he has been pretty supportive of the side through a rough year. In the away end on the weekend. Idk maybe something more down that route. 

2 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

I would accept 15 million for Fam.. Reluctantly, I think the guy will become a City legend. He loves it here

I want him to stay one more season and get to 50 goals for the club. Been too long since we've had a striker be successful for more than just one year.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Not player of the year but perhaps we could arrange for him to get an MBE. Paul Collingwood got one for playing half a test match. 

That was some 7 runs mind

41 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

If it’s around those figures and he proves his fitness then it’s a no brainer 

Transfer fees are only part of the issue though. If we can come to terms, great, but I doubt if we'd want to be on the hook for too many £millions in wages for the next 3 years, especially given his injury problems.

46 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I want him to stay one more season and get to 50 goals for the club. Been too long since we've had a striker be successful for more than just one year.

37 in all comps already.  Might get 13 in remaining 16 (19 👀) games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Definitely not player of the year as it just mocks the award and I’m not sure he’ll feel great about it. However maybe some sort of award of appreciation could be done

• Like 1

It's unprecedented but then when he finally walks out as part of the starting 11 that feeling of warmth towards him from the fans will be a unique experience.

Player of the season? Well why not. I am convinced with him playing every week we would be top two. And before I get ridiculed for being sentimental we are only two wins way from that in a season where it's fare to say we haven't hit top gear.

For me, he is my player of the season.

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Bit harsh mate. The guy has suffered one of the worst experiences anyone could imagine. Nobody is saying he's "Jimmy ******* Greaves". 

It's a player of the season award at Bristol City, it's not the Ballon d'Or.

Even so.......wouldn't of thought Elliason,  Fam and Ashley Williams would be too pleased, my three current favourites for the award?

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Fam is in same boat as Eliasson in terms of contract. I expect them both to he sold this summer. I’d hope for 15m for the pair. 

Think we will have a decent clear out this summer. Think quite a few coming into their last year. Baker, Eliasson, Fam, Walsh, Weimann and Hunt. Let me know if I am wrong on any of those.

Baker, Weimann and Hunt we have to weigh up whether we want a small fee for “older” players, let their contracts run out and get the most we can for them or offer them new deals in which we probably lose any chance of selling them. 

Eliasson, Fam and to a lesser extent Walsh will have suitors. Will they sign new deals? Idk I imagine we will offer them new ones but can they get better elsewhere or find a more prestigious club? Walsh has been on the periphery and then loaned out. Will he sign a new deal without knowing if he will be played? 

As for Benik and player of the season I think it is a nice gesture but would find it patronising. Maybe fan of the year as he has been pretty supportive of the side through a rough year. In the away end on the weekend. Idk maybe something more down that route. 

Baker is an “older player” ?! He’s only 28 - he’s younger than Nahki Wells - I’d keep hold of Baker - he’s been immense this season. He’s mentioned in so many posts as one to possibly get rid of - I don’t get it ...

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Baker is an “older player” ?! He’s only 28 - he’s younger than Nahki Wells - I’d keep hold of Baker - he’s been immense this season. He’s mentioned in so many posts as one to possibly get rid of - I don’t get it ...

If he gets another 3 year deal takes him to 31 and do we get a decent fee for him at 30? I am not saying get rid or keep just saying the club have a decision to make. His value after a good season with us could be higher than we can expect in the future. So it is either sell or offer him another contract possibly on more money. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

If he gets another 3 year deal takes him to 31 and do we get a decent fee for him at 30? I am not saying get rid or keep just saying the club have a decision to make. His value after a good season with us could be higher than we can expect in the future. So it is either sell or offer him another contract possibly on more money. 

Assuming Baker’s fee was £3.5m(ish), then each year his contract costs us £0.875m In amortisation costs.  Plus best part of £1.0m in wages.

Need to way up what fee you might get in the summer, versus cost (and risk) of trying to replace...assuming Moore isn’t ready made.

Extending by a year, this summer, splits that £0.875m in two, in each of 20/21 and 21/22 seasons.  You still have the wage commitment, maybe increased for those two seasons, but it shows how you can be clever about it, especially as he’s playing some of his best stuff at the mo’.

• Like 1