IGNORED

Team For Birmingham Game

bcfc01

Do we go 2 up top with Wells and Diedhiou or do we leave it as it is given the form of Diedhiou up top on his tod ?

If 2 up top, is it 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 dropping Eliasson ?

Also, given we have a bit of time to bed in the new players, do we fit them in or do we drop players that have been doing well such as Baker and Williams ?

I think LJ will  be damned if he changes it and damned if he doesn't.

For me (could be 4-2-3-1) assuming Hunt is out;

Bentley

Pereira Williams Baker Dasilva

Smith

Weimann Henrikssen Nagy Eliasson

Diedhiou

Diedhiou     Wells

Paterson        Smith     Massengo      Eliasson

Dasilva          Baker       Benkovic        Hunt

Bentley

Wollacott

Periera

Williams

O'Dowda

Nagy / Henrikkson (whoever is most match-fit)

Palmer

Weimann

9 minutes ago, Marty said:

Bentley

Benkovic, Williams, Baker

Eliasson, Henriksen, Smith, Nagy, Dasilva

Diedhiou, Wells

Sorry bout spelling.

Why sorry? You spelled every name correctly - the only word you got wrong was ‘bout’ in your apology!! ?????

So people wanna change a winning formation and team? Bit of a strange one tbh. 

I get that people wanna see the new players play but for me they have to earn / wait for their chance , especially after our good form of late. 

As excited I am about Nahki, he didn’t do enough in his cameo vs QPR to earn a start. Unless he comes in for an injured / rested Weimann. 

This isn’t football manager. For me, we go with the same team, bar any injuries. LJ speaks about players having to play well and keeping the shirt - “The heavy shirt”. What sort of message does it send out now if he just drops a couple of players from a winning team to accommodate new signings? 

Same team please LJ, with the 3 new signings on the bench. 

51 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

I get that people wanna see the new players play but for me they have to earn / wait for their chance , especially after our good form of late. 

As excited I am about Nahki, he didn’t do enough in his cameo vs QPR to earn a start. Unless he comes in for an injured / rested Weimann. 

This isn’t football manager. For me, we go with the same team, bar any injuries. LJ speaks about players having to play well and keeping the shirt - “The heavy shirt”. What sort of message does it send out now if he just drops a couple of players from a winning team to accommodate new signings? 

Agree - it’s amazing to read people state I’ve never seen X play but should replace Y.   The saying is you shouldn’t change a winning team, but with Lee’s tinkering you never know.

One game this week, highly likely we will see changes next week with two games with Derby & Leeds 

Its a classic stick or twist and if we lose LJ will be damned if he does and damned he doesn't, particularly with the posters who are experts of hindsight.

At least LJ will have had the benefit of seeing the players train this week and knowing whom are carrying knocks.

It a great position to be spoilt for choice, it may also include Kalas & Nagy may be back fit as well, so very difficult team selection, but will be great if we can carry on the run with a good performance in front of Sky's cameras

10 hours ago, Hocca said:

Bentley 

Hunt Benkovic Baker Dasilva

Paterson Henriksen Smith Eliasson

Diedhiou Wells

You’re going to drop Ashley Williams after four clean sheets in a row?  Blimey you’re hard to please!!

Unchanged team on Friday if all fit, with the possible exception of Henriksen (if he’s match fit) for Massengo and, less likely, Wells for Paterson.

20 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You’re going to drop Ashley Williams after four clean sheets in a row?  Blimey you’re hard to please!!

Unchanged team on Friday if all fit, with the possible exception of Henriksen (if he’s match fit) for Massengo and, less likely, Wells for Paterson.

He’s 36 years old I would play him against derby. Merely rotation, agree he’s been great but we should use our squad to our disposal.

31 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We need to find a way to stop Jutkiewicz from dominating, Benkovic and Baker should be more of a physical challenge than Ash Williams.

6 hours ago, RedEyez said:

It's not that people want to 'see the new players' it's pretty likely a couple of them will start.

Wells didn't come here to be a sub, and we wouldn't have got Benkovic to put him on the bench. I predict both will start as often as possible.

4 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

We need to find a way to stop Jutkiewicz from dominating, Benkovic and Baker should be more of a physical challenge than Ash Williams.

Birmingham have the equal most goals from set pieces in the Championship with 16 (same as Cardiff) from a total of 37 goals.

Its obvious where their threats are and having the likes of Baker, Williams (or Benkovic if fit), and Diedhiou in the team will be important to defend those set pieces. 

As a guide, we have 10 from 44 goals.

R Team Open Play Counter Attack Set Piece Penalty Own Goal
1 Fulham 36 0 7 2 0
2 Queens Park Rangers 34 0 8 4 1
3 Brentford 32 3 9 3 2
4 West Bromwich Albion 31 1 13 6 2
5 Bristol City 28 1 10 2 3
6 Blackburn 27 0 9 3 4
7 Leeds 25 6 6 3 6
8 Hull 25 6 8 1 2
9 Sheffield Wednesday 24 0 10 5 1
10 Huddersfield 24 0 7 3 1
11 Barnsley 24 2 8 1 1
12 Nottingham Forest 23 4 11 3 0
13 Preston 23 2 10 8 0
14 Reading 22 2 8 3 1
15 Derby 21 2 7 4 1
16 Cardiff 21 1 16 3 1
17 Swansea 21 1 10 3 0
18 Stoke 20 2 11 2 1
19 Charlton 20 3 12 4 0
20 Middlesbrough 19 2 6 2 1
21 Luton 18 1 13 3 2
22 Millwall 18 1 14 5 0
23 Birmingham 17 2 16 1 1
24 Wigan 15 1 9 1 2

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's not that people want to 'see the new players' it's pretty likely a couple of them will start.

Wells didn't come here to be a sub, and we wouldn't have got Benkovic to put him on the bench. I predict both will start as often as possible.

Why is it “pretty likely”?

Im sure you’re right in saying that  Wells And Benkovic didn’t come here to be a sub , but that in itself doesn’t give them the divine right to start on Friday, does it? 

8 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Why is it “pretty likely”?

Im sure you’re right in saying that  Wells And Benkovic didn’t come here to be a sub , but that in itself doesn’t give them the divine right to start on Friday, does it? 

It's not a question of being a 'divine right' - obviously our form complicates things and makes it a hard choice for the manager. It's about the understanding we've reached with those players.

Your earlier attempt to patronise people by saying those who think the new signings would play is like 'football manager' is rather foolish; and perhaps it's you that's being naive. Benkovic is a player we wouldn't have been able to bring in ahead of Celtic and Derby had we not given assurances that he'd start as much as possible. 

28 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's not a question of being a 'divine right' - obviously our form complicates things and makes it a hard choice for the manager. It's about the understanding we've reached with those players.

Your earlier attempt to patronise people by saying those who think the new signings would play is like 'football manager' is rather foolish; and perhaps it's you that's being naive. Benkovic is a player we wouldn't have been able to bring in ahead of Celtic and Derby had we not given assurances that he'd start as much as possible. 

That could have been one of many reasons why we brought him in. In this case that is wrong though as widely reported that Rodgers close relationship with Ashton is what enabled us to get him.

4 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

That could have been one of many reasons why we brought him in. In this case that is wrong though as widely reported that Rodgers close relationship with Ashton is what enabled us to get him.

It's not 'wrong' at all. Regardless whether Ashton and Rogers are pals, they'd want assurances on gametime. This isn't a business where people do favours for eachother really. Gametime in a club of appropriate quality will always supersede good relationships.

Archived