IGNORED

So who were the Trojans?

Never to the dark side

59 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

That Lee Johnson was talking about after Saturdays match?

The Trojan’s were fictitious soldiers who defended the city of Troy.

He should have called his defence Spartans - they were a legendary Greek soldiers feared in the ancient world who wore red cloaks.

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He should have called his defence Spartans - they were a legendary Greek soldiers feared in the ancient world who wore red cloaks.

Trojans got beaten by a horse, if I recall correctly

52 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Trojans got beaten by a horse, if I recall correctly

It was when the Greeks built a massive horse and left outside of Troy. They had tried to conquer the City but the Trojan’s repelled them again and again - hence ‘defend like Trojan’s’.

The Greek army moved away overnight leaving the horse.......The Trojan’s figured that the Greek has given up and wheeled the horse inside the City walls but hidden inside the horse were Greek commandos who slipped out during the night and opened the City gates from inside to allow the Greek army in......

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Trojans were Greeks, who inhabited the city of Troy, in Asia Minor. Not fictitious.

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Trojans were Greeks, who inhabited the city of Troy, in Asia Minor. Not fictitious.

The story is fictional. Helen, Achilles, Hector are also fictitious.

Archeologists have discovered evidence of Troy in Asia Minor, Turkey but as usual with archeology the findings are hotly debated.

It was when the Greeks built a massive horse and left outside of Troy. They had tried to conquer the City but the Trojan’s repelled them again and again - hence ‘defend like Trojan’s’.

The Greek army moved away overnight leaving the horse.......The Trojan’s figured that the Greek has given up and wheeled the horse inside the City walls but hidden inside the horse were Greek commandos who slipped out during the night and opened the City gates from inside to allow the Greek army in......

So LJ should’ve said “defended like trojans until they eventually broke our defence and got a late equaliser!” ???

Always good to hear these things first hand from someone who was present. 
Straight from the horse’s mouth, you could say...

I heard that it was a huge wooden bowling ball.

When the Greeks emerged, they bored the Trojans to death.

The story is fictional. Helen, Achilles, Hector are also fictitious.

Archeologists have discovered evidence of Troy in Asia Minor, Turkey but as usual with archeology the findings are hotly debated.

No they’re not. Homer’s tale may be fiction/legend but Troy is not.

11 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Is there any subject that you won't pretend to be an expert on? :huh:

I’m not a expert on anything but I do have a reasonable memory. i learnt the story about the Trojan horse when at school.

I also have a passing interest in history and watch lots of history programmes on tv. Obviously having a decent memory helps............:cool2:

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Okidoki.................:)

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not a expert on anything but I do have a reasonable memory. i learnt the story about the Trojan horse when at school.

I also have a passing interest in history and watch lots of history programmes on tv. Obviously having a decent memory helps............:cool2:

Okidoki.................:)

You should visit the current British Museum exhibition “Troy, myth and reality”. It’s impressive.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

And wear frilly white underpants.  Probably.

15 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Bloody right he's real, as I remember seeing him in TV programmes when I was a lad, although I concede his acting was a bit "wooden".

troy.jpg.d0e8e7b4fc211fe7fad3ff8cf31e984f.jpg

Archived