IGNORED

38 years ago today . . .

CyderInACan

39 minutes ago, 054123 said:

@Shtanley interview with Jonathan Pearce was a real eye opener.

I appreciate he has his biases, but certainly a perspective on the club and despite all the money pumped into shiny new assets, the lack of anything in recognition of what these, many now poor, players did for us.

9 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

No mention of this by the club official channels today- that’s a miss IMO. 

Agreed. I guess The Robins aren’t that bothered about the past when there’s no money to be made from it?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Very much so - remembered by the fans and those of us around at that time who bought shares.  I suppose the present club don't want to dwell on an episode that was before their reign and doesn't read well now  in that the players were shafted from all sides . They didn't have much of a choice as the old club (their employers) were going bust anyway and the new regime made it clear they couldn't afford to take over their contracts. The 8 did what they had to do to smooth it through and ensure we continued but as I say they didn't have much of a choice.

Different world now and I see the millionaire Sol Campbell backed a winding up order (he's owed £180K in wages along with many other creditors) presented to the High Court that would see the demise of Macclesfield.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

This should have been marked by the club today, I went to Newport thinking it may be the last time ever watching City as a league club, times have changed but this should never be forgotten.

• Like 4

Managed to get down to AG that day.

We were let into the Enclosure to survey the eerily empty ground, everyone quiet and lost in their thoughts, preparing for the worst.

Then the good news came through and it was straight into Wedlock's for a celebratory pint! :yawn:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, weepywall said:

This should have been marked by the club today, I went to Newport thinking it may be the last time ever watching City as a league club, times have changed but this should never be forgotten.

Remember that game well.  The away end had no terracing and was just a sloped stretch of gravel as I recall !  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I was at Newport as well- and the next game at home to Fulham when I think it was 4? young lads made their debuts. Both games so memorable for very different reasons.

• Like 1

I understand that people want it acknowledged, but ow many milestones/achievements/memorials are marked on the 38th,or any other random number, anniversary? I think the club will honour the past in two years time, but I understand why they wouldn’t every year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I understand that people want it acknowledged, but ow many milestones/achievements/memorials are marked on the 38th,or any other random number, anniversary? I think the club will honour the past in two years time, but I understand why they wouldn’t every year.

Maybe it should be officially remembered in a more permanent and fitting way by the club. 

• Like 2

This crops up every year and amazes me the difference between those who were there at the time so recall what happened and those younger who now lionize 8 'martyrs' who are nothing of the sort. I've previously referenced the excellent history of the PFA that covers our decline in detail, so worthy to recall the facts:

The 8 were never "forced" to sign away their contracts or livelihoods, they tore nothing up, they mutually agreed to terminate their contracts voluntarily and in doing so were given (gratis) their registrations to trade. The fact they struggled to find careers at other clubs says more of them than the club;

They didn't leave without compensation, the 8 shared circa £100k in compensation (a pretty sum in those days, not all of which was taxable.) In 1982 £12,500 would have gone a long way to buying a house in Bristol;

The 8 could have held onto their contracts and become creditors and left with nothing - they didn't. Sadly, quite a few local suppliers to the club did go unpaid and it's to them we owe a debt - they got now't but grief from some fans. Remember, too, the other City employees who were laid off without compensation, save of nobody does appreciate their nameless sacrifice;

The fact few of the 8 went on to have further careers in football had everything to do with the fact they were either past it, not very good or both (which beggars why they were on such long contracts in the first place?)

Several were vocal and highly critical of the club and remained so for years afterwards, blaming many of their future ills and mistakes on this one event. Contrast the spate of redundancies around Bristol at the time, many associated with the decline of the docks and supporting industries with few of those impacted, including many City supporters, receiving nowhere near such level of support from their employers. It was therefore no great surprise the 8's initial 'testimonial' wasn't that well supported.

What happened to the 8 was deeply regretable, as was the impact on local creditors and the decline of the club, but the world didn't stop turning. The club exists wholly because of the actions of a few clever directors who saw a way forward and executed their plan. It's to them, not the 8, we owe thanks each week.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

This crops up every year and amazes me the difference between those who were there at the time so recall what happened and those younger who now lionize 8 'martyrs' who are nothing of the sort. I've previously referenced the excellent history of the PFA that covers our decline in detail, so worthy to recall the facts:

The 8 were never "forced" to sign away their contracts or livelihoods, they tore nothing up, they mutually agreed to terminate their contracts voluntarily and in doing so were given (gratis) their registrations to trade. The fact they struggled to find careers at other clubs says more of them than the club;

They didn't leave without compensation, the 8 shared circa £100k in compensation (a pretty sum in those days, not all of which was taxable.) In 1982 £12,500 would have gone a long way to buying a house in Bristol;

The 8 could have held onto their contracts and become creditors and left with nothing - they didn't. Sadly, quite a few local suppliers to the club did go unpaid and it's to them we owe a debt - they got now't but grief from some fans. Remember, too, the other City employees who were laid off without compensation, save of nobody does appreciate their nameless sacrifice;

The fact few of the 8 went on to have further careers in football had everything to do with the fact they were either past it, not very good or both (which beggars why they were on such long contracts in the first place?)

Several were vocal and highly critical of the club and remained so for years afterwards, blaming many of their future ills and mistakes on this one event. Contrast the spate of redundancies around Bristol at the time, many associated with the decline of the docks and supporting industries with few of those impacted, including many City supporters, receiving nowhere near such level of support from their employers. It was therefore no great surprise the 8's initial 'testimonial' wasn't that well supported.

What happened to the 8 was deeply regretable, as was the impact on local creditors and the decline of the club, but the world didn't stop turning. The club exists wholly because of the actions of a few clever directors who saw a way forward and executed their plan. It's to them, not the 8, we owe thanks each week.

I was in my teens then and always remember the famous 8 that saved the club. Sweeney, Rodgers (what a great centre half he was) Aitken, Garland, Tainton ( great on the right wing) Jimmy Mann, Marshall and Sir Geoff our Captain. We do owe them big time 

On 03/02/2020 at 07:16, CyderInACan said:

38 years ago today the Ashton Gate Eight saved our club. As we challenge once more for promotion to English football’s highest division I guess it’s appropriate to take a minute to be grateful we actually have a club to support. Whatever the rights and wrongs of what preceded the events that unfolded, these men should rightly forever remain in the consciousness of all City fans for what they did. Thankyou. COYR  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38750475

and who could forget this iconic image from that era too 

8929A304-49D9-496F-A7E7-98C3343153EA.jpeg

Wasn't there another poster with "Don't Kill Cock Robin", or something similar?

Edited by Mike Hunt-Hertz

9 minutes ago, City oz said:

I was in my teens then and always remember the famous 8 that saved the club. Sweeney, Rodgers (what a great centre half he was) Aitken, Garland, Tainton ( great on the right wing) Jimmy Mann, Marshall and Sir Geoff our Captain. We do owe them big time 

5 of the players once were great players for the club, but none of them were by 1982, their stars had faded fast. Rodgers I'd not include in that list partly because he could never replace the utter quality that was Gary Collier, but also as many recall his goal scoring exploits, save those often in his own net. Aitken and Marshall weren't great or good in 82 nor had ever been beforehand.

• Like 5

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 07:16, CyderInACan said:

38 years ago today the Ashton Gate Eight saved our club. As we challenge once more for promotion to English football’s highest division I guess it’s appropriate to take a minute to be grateful we actually have a club to support. Whatever the rights and wrongs of what preceded the events that unfolded, these men should rightly forever remain in the consciousness of all City fans for what they did. Thankyou. COYR  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38750475

and who could forget this iconic image from that era too 

8929A304-49D9-496F-A7E7-98C3343153EA.jpeg

Picked up a copy of this share issue booklet/pack with all the unfilled in application forms at a car boot last year for £2, what a bargain for a piece of our clubs history.  

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Picked up a copy of this share issue booklet/pack with all the unfilled in application forms at a car boot last year for £2, what a bargain for a piece of our clubs history.  

Yeah I have the booklet stored away somewhere too - a priceless piece of City and Family history. I remember having a lapel badge, too, at the time even though I was only 8 years old - wore it to Wansdyke Primary with pride! 

• Robin 1

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

There’s probably an inconvenient truth to a lot of that, i must admit i found it strange that players that were first division players only two years before were unable to significantly lengthen their careers after their contracts were torn up 

Saying that there should be something from the club to mark the event, not just to the Ashton Gate 8 but also the directors who helped save the club, i must admit i was a little disappointed the Lansdown Stand didn’t remain the Williams Stand.

So either a statue or if we ever open a museum at the ground a fitting exhibit so those who sacrificed and worked for our survival are recognised and remembered 

But no i don’t think the club should comment every year.. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, weepywall said:

While were alive it wont be, but after were all gone hope it's not airbrushed from our history, they wouldn't do that would they?

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

When you become old enough to have lived through events which are now referred to as 'history' it's only natural you want it reported as you remember it from the time.

From that point of view I concur with the gist of the above.

That's not to say Sir Geoffrey, Jimmy Mann, Trevor Tainton, Gerry Sweeney, and Chris Garland (during 2 spells at the club) should not be forever remembered by the club and fans with gratitude as outstanding servants to BCFC - they truly were, and remain some of my all time City heroes.

David Rodgers is not a similar all time great imo, but he had a good City career and there was never a doubt that he gave his all for the club.

Aitken and Marshall barely featured for City by comparison, and I've always thought of Aitken as primarily a Rovers' man both before and after his short stint at AG.

The true heroes of the hour for BCFC afaic were, and always will be, Deryn Coller and Ken Sage, and they deserve far more recognition for everything they did to save the club.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone actually read BTRFTG's post above?  Its a very accurate summary of what happened.  Though their departure played a part in City staying in existence, I'm afraid that the Ashton Gate weren't eight selfless, altruistic individuals who willingly sacrificed themselves for the good of the club.  They were unwittingly caught up in the middle of a situation that should have been avoided, and took a course of action which was probably the best for them at the time.  I'm very glad they did what they did, but to say that they were the ones that saved the club is simply wrong.  

• Like 5

I put that poster up outside my sixth form -  Churchill Comprehensive- and got threatened with suspension for ‘promoting commercial activity’. Would have got away with it had I not worn my scarf  on the deadline day. Particularly galling as the Head was a City season ticket holder.