IGNORED

Building from a position of strength

Mr Popodopolous

Nice place to be. 

4 wins and 4 clean sheets, confidence and dare I say, momentum rising. Goid new signings.

Hopefully we'll see the performances and levels in possession rising.

Because while teams certainly can control games without much of the ball, like we arguably did Saturday, it can be wearing on a side both physically and mentally. 

Henriksen central in the band of '3' in a 4-2-3-1 could be one idea. Can switch between that and a 4-3-3 in game quite well then. Perhaps a 4-5-1 out of possession at times too. 

Benkovic should absolutely improve the ball retention,  circulation and ability to build from the back too. Williams and  Baker, for all their qualities, perhaps not the best suited.

Nice problems for LJ to have however...top 6 now surely the club expectation?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nice problems for LJ to have however...top 6 now surely the club expectation?

Top six has been the expectation of the club, or SL, for a couple of seasons now. Going by the public statements of SL, and LJ said this earlier this season (although I cannot find this, now. I thought he said it after Charlton away).

It is amusing when people say SL doesn’t want it, there's no ambition etc. People think SL is happy to be about as successful as all the previous owners that failed to get us promoted from this level? And less successful than in 1976 and 1906? 

40 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Top six has been the expectation of the club, or SL, for a couple of seasons now. Going by the public statements of SL, and LJ said this earlier this season (although I cannot find this, now. I thought he said it after Charlton away).

It is amusing when people say SL doesn’t want it, there's no ambition etc. People think SL is happy to be about as successful as all the previous owners that failed to get us promoted from this level? And less successful than in 1976 and 1906? 

Agreed, things have been building towards it now.

Maybe the club expectation not the right way to put it, but the most opportune time so far to fulfil that expectation. Reflected in that bit more pressure at club level?

One thing for sure, improving from a position of strength with confidence rising and new players to bed in much better by far than scrambling after a few defeats, new players to bed in...changing a winning team and shape may not be popular but think this can be built on.

Archived