IGNORED

Todays Post...Ashton Court

A Horse With No Name

On 03/02/2020 at 10:12, The Horse With No Name said:

Has anyone read todays Bristol Post online and the article about Ashton Court and its views of Ashton Gate being the worst place in Bristol, and giving 10 reasons why visitors should stay away, including the view of the stadium, and " why anyone would want to see that is beyond us" This has to be a wind up surely?

Yes, it is a wind up. :laugh:

On 03/02/2020 at 10:14, SDBS36 said:

Shit paper, deluded with its own importance 

I dunno. Maybe. We're told every day how shit we are, so i don't think any of the reporters are under any delusions tbf

On 03/02/2020 at 10:15, The Horse With No Name said:

Yes but the whole article feels like an April Fools joke

Yep. I was given the job of writing it. That style of faux sarcasm was in vogue about 3-5 years ago, so it was a bit frustrating being asked to still do it like that. But hey ho. We all have to do things in our jobs that we'd rather not. Anyway, I thought I'd go completely over the top and make it really obvious it was ridiculous.....

On 03/02/2020 at 10:12, The Horse With No Name said:

Has anyone read todays Bristol Post online and the article about Ashton Court and its views of Ashton Gate being the worst place in Bristol, and giving 10 reasons why visitors should stay away, including the view of the stadium, and " why anyone would want to see that is beyond us" This has to be a wind up surely?

And throwing in 'why anyone would want to see that' was, I thought, obvious, given it's a highlight of my day to walk down my road and see the stadium (pre-lockdown obvs). But there you go....

On 03/02/2020 at 11:18, And Its Smith said:

It’s a weird article but clearly sarcastic. 

yeah it is really weird. i agree

On 03/02/2020 at 21:10, CityBS15 said:

And a perfect example of what type of folk the gentrication of Southville has attracted to the area...... No doubt they all resent the ground being in the area even though it was there long before they were! 

Well this is a weird one.
I live in Bedminster and have got a season ticket. Who are you on about? :laugh:

On 04/02/2020 at 00:38, RedLionLad said:

He can hear you, you know

I can! Weirdly, I only just got the notification that I'd been tagged in this thread, months later, but yes I can! ha ha 

On 04/02/2020 at 06:32, Dr Balls said:

The decline in local journalism and media coverage goes hand in hand with a decline in local democracy. It’s hard to find out what’s really going on and whose responsibility it was, so many people don’t bother, while local “papers” struggle to survive on dwindling advertising revenue, so revert to click bait. This is one of the considerable downsides and adverse effects of the internet, and partly explains people’s frustration at things happening to them over which they feel they have little or no control.

By comparison to other local news and politics, although we might moan about the quality of local sports coverage in the Post, at least we get something, based mainly on those running it knowing there is more interest in City particularly, and pretty much the only other source being the club itself, with the BBC mainly sticking to broadcasting the matches rather than anything more in depth, as at a national level only the Premier League seems to count.

Why else is the EFL on Quest, other than the big TV companies don’t really give a **** about anything other than the “top clubs”? ITV has given up on club football almost completely, and only shows England international games.

This is interesting, and right in many ways, but in my experience, what happens is that content that people say they miss - in depth reports and investigations into councils, planning, decisions (proper old school local reporting) - people don't want to read. It doesn't really get shared on social media - which is where most people see most of their local news content. But what DOES get shared and read is some less weighty stuff that many deride as 'clickbait'. We all have our own little social media bubble and depending on how big we make it, only a certain amount and type of stuff gets through. 

On 04/02/2020 at 08:33, CotswoldRed said:

Idiots will click anything. If you want to make money (rather than engage in proper journalism) just write something that makes people click. 

Job done. 

yeah the trick is to try to do both. 

Well this was fun.
I literally knocked up that listicle about Ashton Court in 25 minutes. In a list of all the 600 articles I've written this year, I wouldn't even want to read it again. My mum told me it was shit. If I'd have known it would be the subject of a thread on the great OTIB that I'd get pinged about two months later, I think I would have put in a bit more effort. Maybe. 

However, since you're all here and polishing up your anti-Bristol Post barbs, can I point you in the direction of a clickbait listicle article that I DID take ages to write.....

It's a love letter to Ashton and Ashton Gate, in the form of an A to Z guide to people who don't know how great it is....
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-z-what-makes-gate-3664733

On 03/02/2020 at 12:07, Drew Peacock said:

Oooh i missed this one

Coming in tomorrow's Post:

An investigation into Wael's plans for Rovers - there's been a few of those. Around the Flower Market and the debacle over the training ground. But the truth is, I'm not entirely sure because I'm not a sports reporter, but does he have any plans?

An investigation into the decision making surrounding the Arena - I mean, where WERE you? We published an in-depth article every single day for three months, exposing a new bit of that scandal in, if memory serves me right - the summer and autumn of 2018.

A complete absence of clickbait on the website - oh that would be good, yes. 

A reasoned and informative article on the traffic and transport plans for Bristol and the surrounding area. Um, the whole of Bristol? That would be too long. In terms of BS3, I have been banging on and banging on about the transport issues around Ashton Gate, especially the Long Ashton Park and Ride, the Metrobus debacle, the Portishead railway line NOT including an Ashton Gate stop - I keep plugging away at it, with articles pretty much every month about some aspect of it, for the last 4 years!
Here's the latest one I think I did, in January: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-gate-frustration-station-metrobus-3759890
If you put all the words I've ever written about transport/parking/public transport/road issues around BS3 together, it would be the size of a novel. A really boring one, but a book nevertheless.

Perhaps Drew, you don't get to see these articles because you think the Post is shite and never bother looking? 

Other interesting stuff

If transport and decision making and planning and stuff you're interested in, check out the series of (ongoing) investigations and articles  I've done into what's going to happen to the Cumberland Basin - this impacts on City and Ashton Gate of course.
You'll find a selection here: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/all-about/western-harbour

Sorry, I meant to say NOT coming in tomorrow's Post.
No, it was in the last 18 months. You missed it. Now it's all about coronavirus, and lockdowns, sorry.

20 hours ago, Tristan Cork said:

Well this was fun.
I literally knocked up that listicle about Ashton Court in 25 minutes. In a list of all the 600 articles I've written this year, I wouldn't even want to read it again. My mum told me it was shit. If I'd have known it would be the subject of a thread on the great OTIB that I'd get pinged about two months later, I think I would have put in a bit more effort. Maybe. 

However, since you're all here and polishing up your anti-Bristol Post barbs, can I point you in the direction of a clickbait listicle article that I DID take ages to write.....

It's a love letter to Ashton and Ashton Gate, in the form of an A to Z guide to people who don't know how great it is....
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-z-what-makes-gate-3664733

Thanks. Loved reading this article. As a born and bred Bemmy boy - in sight of the hallowed land of Ashtonia - many things struck home, both past and recent. 

It encapsulated the Ashton feel greatly. Brought back many memories and educated me on things I didn't know, fantastic. 

22 hours ago, frenchred said:

if indeed the posts above are the actual person he has just proved what an absolute child he is. i doubt his bosses would be overly impressed either

Why? Amusing that it was all being posted at 1.30am, but otherwise just someone pointing out that he’s aware it wasn’t a masterpiece to some anonymous people on the internet calling him shit. Fair enough.

Archived