IGNORED

Lads on loan excelling

bcfc01

18 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

That says an awful lot about the quality of the players we have in the squad. With experience, decent coaching and a bit of luck they could all be excellent players for us in the future.

It's another measure for how the club has changed since the Ashton Gate rebuild. Although I don't want us to be a production factory for lower league teams, we rarely sent players out on loan in all the years up to and including Steve Cotterill's time in charge. We previously operated with a much smaller group of players. It's essential that as the club grows off the pitch, the playing side moves forward. The difficult bit is keeping all these players happy and developing them year on year.

At the moment, it's mostly going well. The acid test will be how many chances players like Smith, Szmodics, Walsh, O'Leary and Bakinson have to prove themselves in our first team. A couple have already been tried and sent out on loan but maybe that's part of the assessment/development process.

Leaving aside Wright and Taylor who are running down their contracts, we have Moore, O'leary, Szmodics, Semenyo, Bakinson, Walsh, Morrell, Smith, Holden, Pring and Nurse all currently at EFL clubs, and countless others at non-league sides further down the pyramid. With the exception of CLE at Torquay who at 23 must be close to the point of release, those at non-league clubs plus the likes of Morton, Pring and Nurse have plenty of development time left but come the summer some hard decisions are going to have to be made about the others. It would be wonderful if the 9 players other than Pring and Nurse with EFL clubs made it regularly into the City 1st team squad, but the harsh reality is that its unlikely to happen. Even less chance if we were to get promoted to the Premiership. 

Great to see our loaners doing so well. It will boost their confidence as well as giving them first team experience. 

On a side note I’ve noticed a couple of players being loaned INTO the Championship from League 1 clubs - it may happen a lot and I’ve just not noticed before:

Charlton - Aiden McGeady on loan from Sunderland 

Hull - Marcus Maddison on loan from the Posh

I’m surprised that L1 clubs would loan their players to teams from the league above - strange. 

29 minutes ago, RedDave said:

O'Leary wont be as Bentley will still be number one and we won't want Max on the bench all season 

It's an interesting one. I can't see Maenpaa being here so it will cost money to bring in a back up for Bentley. Unless Maenpaa doesn't mind being back up.

Who knows maybe we sell Bentley and Max becomes number one.

17 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Not sure on that one, think Vyner will be gone in the summer, didn't have a good time during his time at Aberdeen.

I think we should give him longer. Still young and played good standards in league one, Scottish Prem and championship.

If Szmodics has a very good half season with Peterborough it will be interesting to see how LJ looks at it if we're in the Champ still. We already have Pato and Palmer who play in that position. From what I've seen of Henriksen online he looks very advanced as a central midfielder, and if he clicks with us between now and May, we might be interested in making that permanent. Can see Pato possibly leaving in the Summer mind, maybe even Palmer should things not seriously pick up for him. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

We really don’t know.  Too many variables.

Bentley sold?

Maenpaa extended or released?

Wollacott’s development?

Bentley has 10 clean sheets this season which is the 2nd best for a keeper in the Champ. I see no reason why he doesn't continue to be our No 1 regardless of which league we're in next season. Max needs to continue to play every week next season to continue his development. He could possible get a Champ loan move next year in the same way that we loaned Vyner to Rotherham as few seasons back. 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yet his old club has conceded 17 less goals than we have this season ... “it’s a funny old game Saint ...”

I bet he was chuckling to himself on Saturday lunchtime though!!

Bentley, as good as he’s been, does not command the 6 yard box.  @Kingswoodactor it’s quite possible he’s reached the attention of bigger and better clubs than us.  I wouldn’t rule out an offer / bid in the summer.

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yet his old club has also kept 10 clean sheets this season whilst conceding 17 less goals than we have this season ... “it’s a funny old game Saint ...”

It would be a bigger gap than 17 if it wasn't for Bentley. Brentford have had a steady back line all season, up until recently our defence changed pretty much every game. In my opinion we're only in the play offs because of DB. If you search on twitter for Leeds opinion about their keeper it doesn't make great reading, they don't rate him at all. Solid goalkeepers are worth their weight in gold, I loved Frankie but this is the first season since our promotion we've had a quality championship keeper, Maenapaa was alright but think he was overhyped a fair bit. 

13 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Great to see our loaners doing so well. It will boost their confidence as well as giving them first team experience. 

On a side note I’ve noticed a couple of players being loaned INTO the Championship from League 1 clubs - it may happen a lot and I’ve just not noticed before:

I’m surprised that L1 clubs would loan their players to teams from the league above - strange. 

It’s mostly to do with FFP etc .

For Maddison , watch MacAnthony’s YouTube video on the subject .

I deduce that a loan deal is easier to get done quickly in the event of the window about to close and the player’s future is not settled.

11 hours ago, Negan said:

It would be a bigger gap than 17 if it wasn't for Bentley. Brentford have had a steady back line all season, up until recently our defence changed pretty much every game. In my opinion we're only in the play offs because of DB. If you search on twitter for Leeds opinion about their keeper it doesn't make great reading, they don't rate him at all. Solid goalkeepers are worth their weight in gold, I loved Frankie but this is the first season since our promotion we've had a quality championship keeper, Maenapaa was alright but think he was overhyped a fair bit. 

NM wasn’t ‘ overhyped ‘ he was , quite simply, the best keeper we’ve had at Ashton Gate for donkey’s years and the calm and confident control of his area made him stand out from the others.

He was very unlucky to get injured and lose his place and I suspect that he will leave the club in the summer if LJ wants to promote Max to number two .

18 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

the style of FFP in league 1 is different to ours, we can lose £39m over 3 years so if we wanted to we could ease off next season if we spent a bit more this season. League 1 it can be a situation where you need to remove a players wages before you can bring someone else in, so getting Maddison's wages off their books with a loan fee allowed Posh to do more business in Jan

Archived