IGNORED

Diggers and Diedhiou

Shtanley

Episode #90 of the One Stream in Bristol podcast went out last night.

With Oscar and Gregor MacGregor alongside me, we discuss everything that has happened in the last week.

It's longer than normal but there really was lots to talk about.

As always we're keen to hear people's thoughts on the topics discussed! 

Listen on iTunes/apple podcasts

Listen via Libsyn

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What's the best podcast app that I can listen to this on?

If you've got an iPhone there's a purple 'Podcasts' app auto-installed. Wang the name in the search in there and hit subscribe and it'll download whenever a new episode is out.

Looking forward to listening to this one!

31 minutes ago, Dunc said:

If you've got an iPhone there's a purple 'Podcasts' app auto-installed. Wang the name in the search in there and hit subscribe and it'll download whenever a new episode is out.

Looking forward to listening to this one!

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

I use Castbox on android

I have an android, thanks 

6 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I use Pocket Casts, but they all essentially do the same thing. Just a case of finding the one that works best for you. 

Yeah I use Player FM and does the same as all the others and works great. Honestly don't think it will make too much of a difference, relatively simple app so not much to go wrong.

Gregor is quietly quite funny isn't he. Enjoyable listen as always.

The bit from @Shtanley on xG - probably a pretty fair assessment. If you take our xG and divided it by the number of shots then you get a pretty high value. So basically our average shot is of good quality. Marry that with the fact we've the second lowest number and percentage of shots from outside the box in the championship and you get a pretty clear picture of Johnson's attitude to long shots - don't bloody try them!

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The bit from @Shtanley on xG - probably a pretty fair assessment. If you take our xG and divided it by the number of shots then you get a pretty high value. So basically our average shot is of good quality. Marry that with the fact we've the second lowest number and percentage of shots from outside the box in the championship and you get a pretty clear picture of Johnson's attitude to long shots - don't bloody try them!

That digger gashead quip has had me laughing all day

Does xG take into account how the ball was moving before it was struck? Or how fast the shot goes? 

8 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Does xG take into account how the ball was moving before it was struck? Or how fast the shot goes? 

Depends which xG stats you use. Expensive and sophisticated ones such as Opta, wyscout, or stats that the club will use - yes probably and to an extent.

Cheap free ones online - unlikely.

Does xG account for spin, grass length, how tight the players laces are, what boot he wears, or whether he waxes his legs? No not at all so far as I know.

Sorry, I am actually listening right now - Interceptions: YES, this is absolutely our game. It's one reason we do worse against very slick possession based sides like Brentford and Leeds. They are just that bit better at passing around that we can't intercept quite as much as normal in midfield. That puts the pressure on the CBs to make tackles and blocks instead and so we concede.

From an analysis point this is one of the best episodes ever mate. Also from a digger joke point.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Listened on the way up and back to Swindon today.  @Shtanley Good threesome, worked well.  I hate the “Big Dave” reference too.  And it was me re the best headed goal tweet!!!

I was the one, or one of the ones, that tweeted that we needed a transfer deadline special. Not sure how it would work but I think listeners would like it and something you could have fun with, maybe some gentle parodying.

I also think we need a pod a game. I don't think it's too much to expect 46 pods per season, plus 10-15 specials :clapping:

Here's my issue with xG.

Against Reading we had a higher xG until that heroic 5 seconds of defending, which seemed to accumulate. Yes there was 3 blocks/clearances but they could only have scored 1 in that passage of play.  

Individual chances isn't enough of a descriptive metric for me, and seemingly Diedhou being a toe away from an Elliasson cross didn't contribute to ours?

And as said we have a high conversion rate because we don't (often) shoot until a good chance is presented.

Just seems like far too many unnacounted variables.

(I may be talking complete rubbish as I am writing this without the xG data in front of me)

40 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Here's my issue with xG.

Against Reading we had a higher xG until that heroic 5 seconds of defending, which seemed to accumulate. Yes there was 3 blocks/clearances but they could only have scored 1 in that passage of play.  

Individual chances isn't enough of a descriptive metric for me, and seemingly Diedhou being a toe away from an Elliasson cross didn't contribute to ours?

And as said we have a high conversion rate because we don't (often) shoot until a good chance is presented.

(I may be talking complete rubbish as I am writing this without the xG data in front of me)

Good point. You can't score 3 goals from one attack, but xG believes you can?

2 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Here's my issue with xG.

90 minutes of say 10-20 chances is not a representative sample to suggest a result should’ve gone one way or the other....when xG has been calculated from tens of thousands of chances.

34 minutes ago, RedDave said:

People use xG because they want to have opinions on games and teams they haven't watched.  NTT20 podcast is generally very informative until they talk about xG.  Apparently our season is about to fall apart (which they've been saying all season) due to our 'poor' xG.  

I stopped listening.  I’m sure they know infinitely more about the EFL than I do, but I find them a bit too “all knowing” if that makes sense.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

90 minutes of say 10-20 chances is not a representative sample to suggest a result should’ve gone one way or the other....when xG has been calculated from tens of thousands of chances.

I stopped listening.  I’m sure they know infinitely more about the EFL than I do, but I find them a bit too “all knowing” if that makes sense.

They are a bit yeah.  Better than 'Second Tier Podcast' though! and they do have some good bits on there sometimes.  Recent interview with Nigel Clough was decent.  They really don't think much of us though! 

18 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ah, so THATS why we sold Brownhill then! Also, why Brownhill didn't shoot from that free kick vs Reading!

5 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

LJs only about 36. Since when is that old ?

And why can’t old people listen to grime? We’re not all stuck at 4am in the morgue ?

39 this year. and how many young people listen to Grime?. Seems to me that it’s  us Oldies that have a more eclectic taste in Music rather  than some of the Young uns 

Archived