IGNORED

why are we bcfc.co.uk and they are bcfc.com?

Never to the dark side

There's literally no difference other than one was purchased before the other.

If either company had any sense, the first one to register their domain would've registered both .com & .co.uk and claimed both themselves.

Obviously, neither club did.

And .com stands for commercial.

.net stands for network

.org stands for non-profit organisations.

My understanding was that when the internet became what it is today, the idea was that depending what type of business you were, would dictate what your suffix would be.

Countries and individuals wanted their own domain as well.

It could be as simple as Brum got in first with .com and we were second but settled for .co.uk

It always slightly annoys me that if you type in BCFC on Google that Birmingham City not only get the top slot but about 17 of the links in the top 20 search results.  Not sure if that is a result of Birmingham having the dot com or just a better SEO team at their Club.

I'm pretty sure I remember Scott Davidson telling me he purchased the domain name way before most people were aware of 'the information superhighway' was little more than a geeks paradise.

So when it came to City getting a website, he was already the owner of the premium BCFC domain, leaving your Brums and Bradford's of this world having to find alternatives.

Aberdeen did ok with AFC.co.uk

There were a few astute people who bought domain names hoping that they could then sell them on to the business concerned. A few succeeded in making some money,  whilst some businesses looked elsewhere to different countries like the island of Tivoli (I think) who had registered .tv 

10 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

It always slightly annoys me that if you type in BCFC on Google that Birmingham City not only get the top slot but about 17 of the links in the top 20 search results.  Not sure if that is a result of Birmingham having the dot com or just a better SEO team at their Club.

Yep I get that all the time too, really annoying.

12 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Google is basically an algorithm so Birmingham get top slot because more people searching BCFC are looking for them. 

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm pretty sure I remember Scott Davidson telling me he purchased the domain name way before most people were aware of 'the information superhighway' was little more than a geeks paradise.

So when it came to City getting a website, he was already the owner of the premium BCFC domain, leaving your Brums and Bradford's of this world having to find alternatives.

Correct (Clik) registered most of the domains for the club way back then. We used to own a lot of TLD for bcfc like info, biz etc and even cbbc.co.uk for well into mid 2000s before someone bought it off us for 5 figure fee and the BBC then got nominet involved when they were using it for incorrect redirects to a toy site and they got it for nothing in the end ?

Note as well that no doubt the club also owns many other URLs that it holds dormant. For example I would expect the club to own bristolcity.co.uk - however a who.is search tells us that it is owned by focusdigital.co.uk. A trip to their website shows they are a URL warehousing company (.com and .net are similarly owned). Essentially they buy up cheap URLs that they think someone will want down the line and then offer to sell them. Suspect they quote quite a lot to the club for that URL. Guess the club and their lawyers see the threat of it being sold on elsewhere or used maliciously to be minimal enough to just let the warehouser hold it.

16 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

There were a few astute people who bought domain names hoping that they could then sell them on to the business concerned. A few succeeded in making some money,  whilst some businesses looked elsewhere to different countries like the island of Tivoli (I think) who had registered .tv 

When the new top level domain names came in a few years back I thought we might see a rash of .football websites come up - but .co.uk and .com are so ingrained and ubiquitous (and short) that those new domains don't seem to have caught on. bristolcity.football is currently available for $21.99 if anyone fancies it.

36 minutes ago, TomF said:

Correct (Clik) registered most of the domains for the club way back then. We used to own a lot of TLD for bcfc like info, biz etc and even cbbc.co.uk for well into mid 2000s before someone bought it off us for 5 figure fee and the BBC then got nominet involved when they were using it for incorrect redirects to a toy site and they got it for nothing in the end ?

That sort of confirms what I heard. Bristol City got several "bcfc" addresses and sold them off when others came a-begging.

We kept the co.uk for ourselves. I don't know why. Perhaps we thought it more appropriate.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

That sort of confirms what I heard. Bristol City got several "bcfc" addresses and sold them off when others came a-begging.

We kept the co.uk for ourselves. I don't know why. Perhaps we thought it more appropriate.

Yep ScottD and GeoffA were very wise to the tech boom early 1990s and registered a lot of domains. Lots before even nominet was a thing which later on proved to be a pain in the arse tbh.  

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

When I worked at Lloyds we purchased things like www.ow.co.uk, with a plan to market new products.

2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

The guy who registered ebuy got sidestepped by eBay. :)

2 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

.com is usually favoured over all other domains in algorithms but there are many work arounds...

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Nothing tops a .com 

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Note as well that no doubt the club also owns many other URLs that it holds dormant.

Always best to own a whole bunch and simply set up redirects to the hosted site. City should be doing this as a matter of course.

There are a bundle of other work arounds that can defy Google algorithms. 

4 hours ago, TomF said:

Yep ScottD and GeoffA were very wise to the tech boom early 1990s and registered a lot of domains. Lots before even nominet was a thing which later on proved to be a pain in the arse tbh.  

Don’t tell Robbored. 
There’s only 1 official site. 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don’t tell Robbored. 
There’s only 1 official site. 

Haha well technically the net centre pre dated the clubs official site for a while didn’t it 

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

Haha well technically the net centre pre dated the clubs official site for a while didn’t it 

Jeez. What was the last signing announced on that one? Tony Thorpe? 
This must be really messing with old Robbo’s head now. 

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Note as well that no doubt the club also owns many other URLs that it holds dormant. For example I would expect the club to own bristolcity.co.uk - however a who.is search tells us that it is owned by focusdigital.co.uk. A trip to their website shows they are a URL warehousing company (.com and .net are similarly owned). Essentially they buy up cheap URLs that they think someone will want down the line and then offer to sell them. Suspect they quote quite a lot to the club for that URL. Guess the club and their lawyers see the threat of it being sold on elsewhere or used maliciously to be minimal enough to just let the warehouser hold it.

When the new top level domain names came in a few years back I thought we might see a rash of .football websites come up - but .co.uk and .com are so ingrained and ubiquitous (and short) that those new domains don't seem to have caught on. bristolcity.football is currently available for $21.99 if anyone fancies it.

So, in theory, you could buy bristolrovers.co.uk cheaply and just populate it with a picture of a tumbledown shed in a ploughed field? No, silly me, that would be an upgrade.

5 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Tuvalu.

Archived