IGNORED

LJ Presser

Red Army 75

Very insightful press conference. Some fans seem to think Lee just blathers and cliches his way through interviews. On the other hand, many fans, including myself, think he is an excellent manager/coach who treats his players well. Like his dad, he uses humour a lot in his interviews. What's not to like about that? I thought this was an example of Lee at his best, answering questions thoughtfully and respectfully. If he carries on like that I would love him to beat Alan Dick's record as  a manager. In Johnson I trust!

2 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Very insightful press conference. Some fans seem to think Lee just blathers and cliches his way through interviews. On the other hand, many fans, including myself, think he is an excellent manager/coach who treats his players well. Like his dad, he uses humour a lot in his interviews. What's not to like about that? I thought this was an example of Lee at his best, answering questions thoughtfully and respectfully. If he carries on like that I would love him to beat Alan Dick's record as  a manager. In Johnson I trust!

Agree. Always found him very interesting to listen to.

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It was an enjoyable interview, my only issue is when things are not going so well then he tends to not to the pre match presser and his post patch ones aren't very enjoyable. 

People will always have a problem with him no matter what he says after we lose. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

People will always have a problem with him no matter what he says after we lose. 

Jon, I think that is football fans the world over not just us. It is a tough job, but at times , he doesn’t help himself. I have no axe to grind with Lee but his sometimes smugness, makes me question that on occasion.

19 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Generally I really enjoy his pre-match interviews. Post match can be mixed. 

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Jon, I think that is football fans the world over not just us. It is a tough job, but at times , he doesn’t help himself. I have no axe to grind with Lee but his sometimes smugness, makes me question that on occasion.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That's true but I do think he's far better when we're in good form. More relaxed and confident, less likely to come out with something daft.

The only thing I don't like is when he says about a certain player not being good enough. There's no need, and I can't see what there is to gain from doing that.

But to be fair they still seem to be fighting for him so I guess no harm done.

Pretty much everything else I don't mind it one bit. We lose and play badly and there is nothing he can say that will please any of us.

Everyone has their own opinions of him though, so fair enough.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The only thing I don't like is when he says about a certain player not being good enough. There's no need, and I can't see what there is to gain from doing that.

Pretty much everything else I don't mind it one bit. We lose and play badly and there is nothing he can say that will please any of us.

I agree - I don’t like it when he throws players under the bus - that should stay in-house.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

9 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I agree - I don’t like it when he throws players under the bus - that should stay in-house.

And yet when Managers of other teams do it, you will have posters on here praising their honesty, and making comments about telling players like it is.

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And yet when Managers of other teams do it, you will have posters on here praising their honesty, and making comments about telling players like it is.

I think when Wilder did it to Henderson it was implied that he knew the motivators for him and he’d respond well.

We haven’t been given that by LJ, but that’s not to say it isn’t there. 

54 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It was an enjoyable interview, my only issue is when things are not going so well then he tends to not to the pre match presser and his post patch ones aren't very enjoyable. 

When things aren’t going well, he gets slated for anything he says and post match, he’s probably not feeling very entertaining. 

Like him or not (I don’t get how people can’t) he’s a genuine bloke who has the best interests of this club at everything he does, genuinely. This is no stepping stone or PR ego boost for him. 
He’s bought into SL’s plan and wants to see it through. That’s the faith that SL backs when others are panicking. 

28 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

It’s definitely the most upbeat he’s been the immediate aftermath of a January window.

He looks genuinely confident with what he has at his disposal for the run in.

He’s probably chuffed to bits. 
He laid the challenge to MA & SL, quite publicly (to cover himself & rightly so) and he’s been backed. 

He sounds like he knows he has to fit Benkovic into the team somewhere. There is no way a player of that quality had agreed to come here & sit on the bench. I just hope it doesn’t disrupt the obvious team spirit now within the squad.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

When things aren’t going well, he gets slated for anything he says and post match, he’s probably not feeling very entertaining. 

Like him or not (I don’t get how people can’t) he’s a genuine bloke who has the best interests of this club at everything he does, genuinely. This is no stepping stone or PR ego boost for him. 
He’s bought into SL’s plan and wants to see it through. That’s the faith that SL backs when others are panicking. 

He's a dwarf, don't you know.  And he's got a dad.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think when Wilder did it to Henderson it was implied that he knew the motivators for him and he’d respond well.

We haven’t been given that by LJ, but that’s not to say it isn’t there. 

Warnock and SAF are 2 managers that spring to mind, who blamed the grass, the weather, cheating by the opposition or especially the referee whenever their teams lost. To some it was petulance and arrogance, but one thing that did was distract blame from their players. 
I’ve no doubt that in the dressing room behind closed doors there would have been hell to pay, but to the press and public it was always someone else’s fault. They protected their players to the hilt. 

24 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Warnock and SAF are 2 managers that spring to mind, who blamed the grass, the weather, cheating by the opposition or especially the referee whenever their teams lost. To some it was petulance and arrogance, but one thing that did was distract blame from their players. 
I’ve no doubt that in the dressing room behind closed doors there would have been hell to pay, but to the press and public it was always someone else’s fault. They protected their players to the hilt. 

Don't think that's completely true, SAF definitely did at times particularly Beckham and Rooney but I'm pretty sure defenders on occasions sure I remember something with smslling and something with Evans. No doubting he was a master of when, and who, and how to do this though. 

I really like him as a coach. He comes across as bright and very innovative.

He's very respectful of the opposition when interviewed. I can think of a few managers that aren't.

We have a quite unique situation here where both the Owner and Head Coach are also fans. A fact which is lost on some people.

As fans, they will make mistakes but they always have the best interests of the club at heart.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

I really like him as a coach. He comes across as bright and very innovative.

He's very respectful of the opposition when interviewed. I can think of a few managers that aren't.

We have a quite unique situation here where both the Owner and Head Coach are also fans. A fact which is lost on some people.

As fans, they will make mistakes but they always have the best interests of the club at heart.

I always thought that the Johnson family were all Watford fans(?) I might have misread that somewhere.  

7 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I always thought that the Johnson family were all Watford fans(?) I might have misread that somewhere.  

Fulham fans I think although one/both of them (?) was at Watford in some capacity possibly LJ as a young player?

When he waffles on after a game (especially after a loss) it's pretty bad but when you watch and listen to the pre-game press stuff he really comes across as a decent, motivated and knowledgeable guy.

I cut him a lot of slack as he's still young, still learning and wants the best for City and (obviously) himself.

Pre-game I could listen to him for hours. Directly after a game... not so much.

Archived